Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poznan...second most beautiful city in Poland?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Poznan...second most beautiful city in Poland? Reply with quote

There's a current job ad which describes Poznan as 'second most beautiful city in Poland' (sic).

I like Poznan but I don't agree with this at all. I'd certainly say that Krakow and Wroclaw are more aesthetic, perhaps even the Tri-City. What do you lot think? Oh and Torun's not bad either.

I have to say that regarding Poznan, it's gone a bit downhill. Yes, it's got the malls, new station and stadium but the nightlife is pants. For me, it's lost its authenticity and has turned into a tourist/foreign student trap, with overpriced ,poor quality restaurants and very 'same, same' bars. The dancing venues have ALWAYS been awful. The newer, expat teachers aren't the characters of old. Then it was the frontier. Now it's a dime-a -dozen place. Nice looking rynek tho' but not second in Poland for sure.

Poznan is a city that is too big for its boots by half. Small town, provincial people trying to be big time Charlies.
salamiandbacon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my money it's not the second most beautiful city in Poland. Wonder what they had in mind for first place. Still, can't touch them for it as it's purely subjective.

I like Wroclaw.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be Torun. Last year, we stopped there for a couple of days on the way to the coast. Entered from the south, left to the east, returned from the north and left to the west. In no direction was the out of town sprawl too depressing, unlike almost every other city.

Also, being smaller and without an airport, it avoids the tourist overkill.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

That's why I mentioned Torun and Wroclaw specifically. I first went to Torun years ago and that walled city thing is really nice. All my polish friends say Wroclaw is a much better night out than Poz. It was a Program-Bell ad by the way. You won't enjoy Poz much on the 3.5k they pay a month, flat not included.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they confused "beautiful" for "money-grubbing, poser-filled, wanna-be big Western capital" Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

Yeah, I find your average Poznaner very parochial. It's full of hipsters these days and students spending mum and dad's money. You can spend a tonne there now if you're not careful.
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the Stary Rynek, I never saw much of anything really interesting in Poznan, especially now with all the new development.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: well.... Reply with quote

The rynek looks nice but there are very few decent places left on it. There are 2 or 3 5zl bars, some really overpriced restaurants and Browaria, which is the only decent place on it but not a place you can go mad.

Lake Malta is cool with its aqua park, ski slopes, 'sanki', golf and the zoo. Good for mountain biking too.

Cytadela is lovely, especially in summer and there are some nice spots on the river.

Loads to do if you can afford it but you're right Peter as outside the rynek it's concrete jungle or old kamienice mainly.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salamiandbacon wrote:
For my money it's not the second most beautiful city in Poland. Wonder what they had in mind for first place. Still, can't touch them for it as it's purely subjective.

I like Wroclaw.
Poznan didn't impress me much either. Nice rynek and old town, but nothing special. The bars & pubs were dead so we made an early night of it, sort of. But I was only there a couple of days, so I'd give it another chance.

Wroclaw is favorite Polish city. Beautiful old town with loads of bridges and islands, yet not not too many tourists. I was there a couple weeks ago and even managed to find a couple hopping bars/clubs on a Sunday night.

If I could find work that paid well there, I'd jump ship and leave Warsaw in a heartbeat.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Look on Gumtree, there's tonnes of work there although some of the schools are paying as low as 30Zl/hour!!!!! Less than in 1995 Smile
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

Loads to do if you can afford it but you're right Peter as outside the rynek it's concrete jungle or old kamienice mainly.

but isn't that pretty much......Poland?
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland does have its own charm, but I just can't get too excited about Poland's beauty comparing it to the rest of Europe. Step off the Stary Rynek and what do you have?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterParvo wrote:
Poland does have its own charm, but I just can't get too excited about Poland's beauty comparing it to the rest of Europe. Step off the Stary Rynek and what do you have?

I'm a huge fan of the forests to the north and west of Poznan. They're a great walk at all times of the year, and you can easily get lost.

It's worth bearing in mind that Poznan has two huge districts that were planned rather than growing organically - and so have all the same problems as the UK New Towns.

Still, for those with transport, the forests are my favourite. Can't go wrong with the various lakes as well, except in summer. And if in doubt, there is a remarkable amount of wilderness once you head north towards Walcz.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

but isn't that pretty much......like the rest of the world?
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
dynow wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

but isn't that pretty much......like the rest of the world?

Sure is, but you'd have to stop looking at the world from a tourist perspective. NYC - all downtown Manhattan and nothing but brownstones [kamienice] all around sprinkled with some amazing projects and subsidized housing [easily comparable to the post-communist blocks just less drug dealers, prostitutes, rats and cockroaches]. Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Toronto, London.. blah blah... but you know... they're better, because they're OURS. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: