Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

be careful with your resumes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this another case of misspelling Two for To, and Four instead of For in lajzar's original post? That student ought to be flogged for using such bizarre Net-speak.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:

By far more alarming, in my opinion, is the trend of using newspeak, by which I mean this careless and highly slangy abbreviated English: Do U no what i mean?

I'm with you on this, bud, but I'm afraid this kind of thing is not going to go away. There are many,many people who consider such "creative" usage their sacred prerogative and an indication of their cleverness; there are others for whom such stylization is a political issue, and they feel the need to "make a statement" by the way they make their statements. Instant-messaging and online "chatting" are making their contributions to the demolition of English, as well.

I make newspeak easier to stomach by taking the anthropological approach: I sit back, try to feel detached, and watch the funny creatures. My consolation comes when I write something and someone says, "Wow! You can really write!" when I know that all I'm doing is following a few simple rules and watching my spelling.

My greatest fear is that a day will come when there will no longer be anyone left who can tell the difference between good and bad writing.

CUL8R!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garbled characters referred to, e.g. #3462, occur when you are looking at a character that does not exist in the character code of the guest computer; as a result the program returns the character number. On this board you will often see a strange symbol when somebody tries to use a foreign letter.

The problem is that this may not show up at all on your computer; in fact it almost certainly wouldn't or else you would not have written the offending characters in the first place.

You should try and check any online CV you post from three or four different computers using three or four different operating systems. And don't copy and paste from Word - Word will automatically format certain characters (such as smart quotes) in a way that is incompatible with a simple text editor.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: @%$^#&*(?rt% Ottoman Curses ! Reply with quote

The great GURU Hamish used to post sometimes from Istanbul and his mail then looked like a cryptogram. Watch out when you are using non-ASCII keyboards. Turkish can be awful but but I am sure there are others !

And send me a message if you want to communicate with the Great Guru. I will pass on requests for enlightenment to the GURU himself. In certain cases he is prepared to waive his usual consultation fee.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Another Mystery Solved... Reply with quote

Ah,thanks,Scot 47.I always wondered why Hamish's posts were full of "?"'s.I thought maybe they were glottal stops...Does he have any plans for heading back to Bulgaria?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: