Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Berlin for a year or two (and teaching English).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Living in Berlin for a year or two (and teaching English). Reply with quote

Perhaps you should read this disclaimer before posting: I've read the myriad negative opinions/threads about teaching in Germany.

I am looking for move abroad for a year or two before coming back and starting my master's in Applied Linguistics/ELT in London. I've always loved Germany and Berlin in particular really resonates with me. In particular the great music and arts scene (I'm also a musician). The cheap rents are also attractive. The other place in my mind is Madrid.

I have nearly two years of EFL teaching at one of the better, bigger London language schools and have in that time never been short of work, working 30 hours per week almost all of the time. In that time I've spent a lot of time teaching exam classes (Cambridge FCE, CAE) and business English classes. I particularly enjoy these classes and after my master's want to work in EAP.

I especially enjoy teaching demanding students with higher levels of proficiency, my knowledge of grammar is improving all the time and I have a very strong interest in linguistics and grammar. I know a lot of people in this industry don't take it seriously and see it as an 'easy option' or just a way to travel but I actually enjoy the job. Whether or not that'll be the same in years to come, who knows?

So, what I'm asking is, is it a viable idea to go to Berlin (with an intermediate level of German, too) and work enough to support myself and live relatively comfortably - I'm 27, I don't want to buy a place, I want to have fun, learn some more German, make some friends, play some jazz. I'll certainly flatshare. I have no qualms about travelling a bit to work, nor about supplementing my income working in a bar or something if needs be. I don't want to live in abject poverty, I want to have enough money to live comfortably.

I'm an outgoing and personable guy, is it possible that I can find work directly with companies, working as a trainer?

Come at me.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot depends on your definition of 'comfortable.' You're certainly qualified to work in the country and I'd guess you'll find work (though timing is also a factor - the peak time for hiring 2013/14 has passed). As for finding work directly with companies, that normally takes some time to build up a local reputation and contacts - it's unlikely to be something that would come your way as a newbie to the city/region, though of course you might get super-lucky and stumble into an opening.

Overall, the first year is likely to be scraping by- second year and onwards are usually more 'comfortable,' again depending on your definition of this.
Loobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peak hiring for 2014 has passed?

As for comfortable, enough to pay rent, travel, have a little left over each month for fun times and to do a bit of shopping I guess.
Trips

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobs wrote:
The peak hiring for 2014 has passed?

As for comfortable, enough to pay rent, travel, have a little left over each month for fun times and to do a bit of shopping I guess.

Name a number.
Loobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have gone without saying but I also have a certTESOL from Trinity.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak hiring for academic year 2013/14 has passed, yes. Peak hiring period is very end August through September. Will be another (smaller) hiring period in January.

As you noted that you're ok with a flat-share, your notion of 'comfortable' is likely do-able, assuming modest travel and shopping aspirations.

It's actually very useful to state that you've got a Trinity cert; quite a few newbs on the regional market aren't aware that this is a baseline here.
Loobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'd be looking at moving over there next Summer, anyway.

I'm more than ok with a flatshare. A great way of meeting people and avoiding loneliness in a foreign place. A baseline? A minimum requirement in Germany?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - given that most teachers on the market have a CELTA or equivalent, anything less puts one at a significant disadvantage.
Loobs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a minimum requirement anywhere, it seems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: