Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl65514

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Colombia Reply with quote

I am looking to teach in Colombia after my graduation in December and I'm looking for feedback on a few different options. The options I have so far are,

1) Cultural Embrace-- basically what I'm seeing is you pay a $250 application fee for an academic year (i'm assuming there is another fee involved after the application one but it doesn't state that info) in one of the major cities teaching English with housing included and a $500 stipend. Sounds pretty sketch from what I have seen on this forum but the housing/stipend seems nice.

2) WorldTeach- I've heard it is a pretty decent program from a few people who have done it. There is a $2500 fee which includes housing/ roundtrip airfare/ health insurance/ training etc. and a $200 a month stipend.

3) Get a CELTA at IH house and look for a job after sometime in January.

4) Search for a cheap room that's being rented out and just look for work at a language institute.

Background- Psych major with a year of experience volunteer teaching with local immigrants at my university-- no TEFL certificate or anything but I speak Spanish relatively well. I'm not looking to stay in Colombia for the long hall, just pass 6 months- a year in Bogota or Medellin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hollyl1003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jl65514,

I'm also looking at the Cultural Embrace program. I've been in contact with them and I'm trying to get some answers to my questions. I'm a certified teacher in the US and have many years of teaching experience, so I want to make sure I choose a program that matches my interests and skills.

As far as I can tell, the $150 or $250 is the only cost and includes the benefits that are mentioned on the website. The only reason I'm considering this is to have a job before landing in-country (I've visited Colombia before, but it's always nice to have a guaranteed income and housing). I think the housing is a rip-off, as it doesn't include food with a host family, so I would probably find my own housing. If I go, I'm going to sign on for a semester and then see what things are like/if I can find a better/higher paying position after the first five months.

I've also completed a WorldTeach program (though in the Pacific Islands) and I can give you some more info on that, if you'd like, just PM me. Basically, I guess it depends on what your end goal...why are you going to Colombia?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jls

You are most likely better off hopping on a plane and going to Colombia yourself without PAYING some company fees.

The Cultural Embrace sounds like a decent deal depending on

1) Legit?
2) Paid Flights?
3) Housing Quality
4) Hours Worked

Figure working a normal load at a language mill in Bogota one will make about 600-800 a month.

EDIT* I just looked at their website. Says you get 800 without housing. That is a much better deal as you can get a room for 100-300 yourself. Did they change their salary and fees? Different from what us quoted here

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102188

WorldTeach, hell no. Your essentially working for 300 bucks a month. After you paid 2,500 bucks up front.

Hell no to the CELTA unless you plan on teaching ESL for the next 5-10 years in countries where you actually need it.

Unless I was absolutely sure about the Cultural Embrace program I would just get on a plane and find a cheap room and work at a language mill or colegio.

@holly

You are a certified teacher. Why are you looking at these options for non certified people / ESL'rs?

You need to head over to the forum for International Certified Teachers. You also need to get memberships for the online teaching job databases for International Schools. Also, you need to maybe apply for one of the recruiting agencies as well as consider going to one of the many International School Job Fairs.

Here is where you should spend a few hours reading and getting a plan in place.

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=b625a9b6683a18c69e53f5d4c56b7853
jl65514

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, had a good laugh reading that. Thanks a lot for the reply, that cleared a lot up for me.

The Cultural Embrace program changed recently, lowering their costs to $250 for the placement fee and offering more money to teachers. I like the idea of this program only because it's my first time going abroad to teach and there's a guaranteed job placement. I just haven't been able to find any reviews on the Colombia program because it is less than a year old. But like you said, I'm sure I would have no issues hopping on a plane and doing some searching myself.

Are you still located in Colombia?
hollyl1003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Internationalist.

I am considering going to Colombia for just five months, most likely before heading off to grad school, and I wanted something to do to pass the time before the summer. I'm looking for somewhere to teach short term and to live abroad.

I was drawn to CE because they work with non profits and would prefer to do that as opposed to working for some run of the mill language school. But, who knows, they're new to Colombia and I guess anything could happen.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jl6

Come to think of it, being the fee is so little I would just go ahead and do that. Even if you don't like it you can just quit and go find a job on your own whilst already being in Colombia. Sign up for the 5 month program for 150$. If the program is good and you enjoy it you have the option to extend another semester I would presume.

I am teaching ESL in Korea atm at the same time doing an alternative certification program online. I return to the states in Feb to finish my program and take the licensing tests. I am hoping for a International School job but I will be starting the applying process way late in the game when most all schools have already hired their staff.

Therefore I am looking at some backup plans to tide me over for 6-12 months.

I was already planning to take a 2 month vacation to Colombia in Feb, so I might just consider staying in Colombia and potentially doing the Cultural Embrace program.

Not really keen on going back to Korea to kill a year before my first International School job.
jl65514

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually on a pretty similar track, I like the idea of working in an International school or at a University. I was planning on teaching abroad for a couple of years and then returning back to the states to do an MA in TESOL/Applied Linguistics (if I find I enjoy teaching that is), but the online certification program sounds pretty interesting and convenient. I'll have to research more into that.

Which city of the three would you recommend? Medellin, Bogota or Barranquilla?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont bother with a MA TESOL yet. Much better money and career prospects with International Schools. Do TeacherReady.org if you do a alternative program.

As for the cities, it completely depends on what you prefer as each have their own pluses and minuses.

Medellin - Great weather / nice city / most gringos / more expensive / most beautiful women

Bogota - Large city / many things to do & scenes / gloomy, cloudy weather / more intellectual city / large number of ESL teachers / conservative people & women

Baranquilla - Great location on the coast in between Cartagena & Santa Marta / very few gringos & tourists / hot weather / very friendly people / open fun women / strong music and dance culture

For me id pick Baranquilla hands down out of those three as a single guy. Medellin if I was married or in a serious relationship.
jl65514

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks a ton for the information and recommendations.

Baranquilla sounds like a perfect fit for me. I'm a young single guy and for me, the combination between fun open women and a strong dance/music culture... doesn't get much better than that.

I'm assuming you have passed some time in Baranquilla, being that there are very few tourists/gringos how safe did you feel overall? I like to go out dancing/clubbing til pretty late, have you ever run into any issues with locals?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big plus for Baranquilla is being a short bus ride from Cartagena and Santa Marta. Both fun and interesting cities in their own right. That make for a great weekend visit. Parque Tayrona is also a great place to visit. Awesome beaches there.

On top of the women and the dance/music, the other significant plus is that it gets no tourists and has minimal gringos. So you are more of a commodity. Will help you in the dating/pickup scene.

Baranquilla is like any other Colombia / Latin American city. You need to use common sense and take a few precautions and you should be fine. The North is nicer and more safe than the South. The main nightlife is in the North, however there is a whole other nightlife zone in the South which is good as well. Much cheaper and more accessible open friendly women Wink

I was there in 2011 and will be returning this Feb to stay for a month or so.

Cant wait!
jl65514

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, I can't wait to experience it for the first time. Spain was a blast but I've never traveled to a country in South America so this should be fun. I'll be happy in any city in Colombia, i'm not too picky.

Have you ever had a relationship with one of the women there or just date around? Also are you vacationing to the north or south?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go and meet women through online and in nightclubs. No relationships or sorts.

What you mean North or the South. Ill be going to Colombia and hitting up Baranquilla, Cartagena, Santa Marta, Medellin, Manizales, Bogota, and Cali. While in Baranquilla ill be hitting up clubs in the North and South. Just like any city, I always to to check out all the different places and scenes time willing.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi The Internationalist,

You write that you'd opt for Medellin if you were already married or in a serious relationship? Sorry, I don't quite get what you mean.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more competition in Medellin. Additionally the women of the coast are more open and fun in my opinion. Also the nightlife is more expensive in places like Poblado / Parque Lleras in Medellin compared to Baranquilla.

So essentially if I was not dating, chasing women, or partying every night id opt for the much nicer weather and city (aesthetically) to live and eventually settle down.
jl65514

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh okay, I was referring to whether you are going to be vacationing to the north, for example in Barranquilla or further south in the country. That's awesome, I hope I get the chance to travel around the country like that.

Just had a pretty enlightening conversation with a local woman from the Barranquilla area who told me that I was probably going to get lured in by a girl who is going to try and wring me dry of my money so she can use it for drugs haha. Found that pretty amusing. She says drugs are a huge issue with people, especially women throughout the country.

Is the weather in Barranquilla as hot as people make it out to be? Definitely want to be near a beach, the heat doesn't bother me at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: