Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there ANYWHERE in Lat. Am. where you can save money?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthjen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Is there ANYWHERE in Lat. Am. where you can save money? Reply with quote

A bit about me:
-blond (not sure that it matters) Canadian female
-BA in math/business
-3 years experience teaching ESL in South Korea
-worked for 4 years as an accountant and 4 years in marketing (in case would help with business esl)

Hi,

I am planning to do the CELTA at Southern Cross in Ecuador. It looks like a great program at a great price.

Afterwards, I would love to teach esl somewhere, anywhere, in Latin America. I am so sick of Asia. I speak a little Spanish, have traveled to Latin America several times, and absolutely love it.

My problem is that I have about $500 in debt that needs to be covered every month back in Canada.

Is there ANYWHERE in Latin America where you can make more than a living wage?
Is there ANY country/city where you can do private classes for extra money? Legally or illegally. Is there any country where it's legal to do that on a work visa?
Is there ANY country/city where there would be a market for me to do any other extra work for money? i.e. teaching yoga, helping out with tourist agencies....I know I'm reaching here....
What country is the best country for a stable and reliable work visa? (If it exists???) If I'm going to be sending money home, then obviously I'd need a bank account. So presumably I'd need a work visa. If there is any country where this isn't the case, please let me know.

Of course, I would head down there with a few months' living expenses saved. But can I make it sustainable with the debt back home?

Is any of this realistic? Or am I living in a fantasy world? Please tell the painful truth....

Thanks for your time...
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet would be to find a job with minimal hours and teach online. You can earn $2,000 a month, but it will require working 40 hours a week.
shebab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved quite a bit of money at Universidad del Norte, in Barranquilla Colombia-enough to even pop off for a week to Europe during Holy Week! However, you need to have an MA to get a full time job there.

Colombia seems to pay better than most of Latin America...

Of course, international schools will pay top dollar (in dollars!). However, you need to be certified in the US to have one of those gigs...
kona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Canadian teacher certification would be fine too, for international schools.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LatAm is a famous EFL destination for saving tons of money Rolling Eyes
Katm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to pick up extra private classes (usually illegal and paid in cash) but latinos tend to be very flaky and cancel often so don't rely on this money. Ecuador/Peru I would generally say you wouldn't make much more than a living wage. There are a couple of universities that pay well but only if you have a doctorate or minimum masters. International schools pay up to $3000 a month with benefits but you'd need a teaching qualification from your country to do that. At language institutes hours vary so some months you can be really low on hours (and therefore money) - the best thing is to get hired from abroad with a contract rather than being a 'local hire'. I did the CELTA at Southern Cross if you wanted to PM me with any questions. I like living in South America but I think it would be difficult to guarantee having an extra $500 a month unless you really lived cheaply/shared apartments etc.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katm wrote:
It's easy to pick up extra private classes (usually illegal and paid in cash) but latinos tend to be very flaky and cancel often so don't rely on this money. Ecuador/Peru I would generally say you wouldn't make much more than a living wage. There are a couple of universities that pay well but only if you have a doctorate or minimum masters. International schools pay up to $3000 a month with benefits but you'd need a teaching qualification from your country to do that. At language institutes hours vary so some months you can be really low on hours (and therefore money) - the best thing is to get hired from abroad with a contract rather than being a 'local hire'. I did the CELTA at Southern Cross if you wanted to PM me with any questions. I like living in South America but I think it would be difficult to guarantee having an extra $500 a month unless you really lived cheaply/shared apartments etc.

As long as you live somewhere with reliable internet, making an extra $500 isn't that difficult. One possibility is to tutor online.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily save $500/month in Colombia, but you'll probably need more than basic qualifications plus Spanish and it might take you 2 years of solid experience and networking in-country to get to that point.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
You can easily save $500/month in Colombia, but you'll probably need more than basic qualifications plus Spanish and it might take you 2 years of solid experience and networking in-country to get to that point.

Sounds like a GREAT investment of time AND effort to MAYBE save $500 bucks a month...Please SIGN me-up ASAP Rolling Eyes
Professional TEFLer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is there ANYWHERE in Lat. Am. where you can save money? Reply with quote

earthjen wrote:
Is there ANY country/city where there would be a market for me to do any other extra work for money?

Mexico. Private classes.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is there ANYWHERE in Lat. Am. where you can save money? Reply with quote

Professional TEFLer wrote:
earthjen wrote:
Is there ANY country/city where there would be a market for me to do any other extra work for money?

Mexico. Private classes.

Sounds like a retirement plan to me!

Time to give up that 401K, Pension and Social Security credits for private EFL classes in Mexico!

Laughing
sprightly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the debt student?
(also following this as we're interested in heading that way and are trying to learn as much as we can)
Professional TEFLer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
LatAm is a famous EFL destination for saving tons of money Rolling Eyes

You were unable to save when you taught in LA, Professor?
Professional TEFLer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there ANYWHERE in Latin America where you can make more than a living wage?"

If you want to SAVE money AND TEFL, you should head to Asia or the Middle East. Cool
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional TEFLer wrote:
"Is there ANYWHERE in Latin America where you can make more than a living wage?"

If you want to SAVE money AND TEFL, you should head to Asia or the Middle East. Cool

Sure, it's possible to save in Lat. Am. as a TEFL'er, but it takes time to build up your contacts and network, which with an engaging personality, is a sure path up a TEFL career ladder in Latin America, remember promotions aren't based on nepotism or who owes who, you get plenty of promotions and pay raises based on merit Laughing Smile Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: