Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good jobs with compounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auhruh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQ have been known to put their teachers in compounds...
bertonneau

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: SPSP/TQ and Bahrain Reply with quote

There are many teachers that work for SPSP in Dammam. They have the option of living in Bahrain and get a living stipend to do so. If you're willing to make the commute everyday. Your wife can live a pretty much western life in Bahrain and you'll work in Saudi/ You get the pay of over there, but still get the sanity of coming home each night and weekend to a more westernized existence. Sounds like for your situation it might be worth it.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not expect to have a Californian lifestyle in KSA ! Restrictions on EVERYTHING - that is part of the price you pay for coming to the Magic Kingdom ! What do you expect ? "Money for nothing and chicks for free " ??
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
What do you expect ? "Money for nothing and chicks for free " ??

while there are jobs that do provide the former, the latter are hard to come by...
TEFL786

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Council provides a fully furnished compound in Riyadh, Jeddah and Khober.And a very competitive salary and the benefits. They are hiring at the moment.
TEFL786

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Council provides a fully furnished compound in Riyadh, Jeddah and Khober.And a very competitive salary and the benefits. They are hiring at the moment.
mashkif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateacher wrote:
I was told that even in the accommodation part of the campus women get shouted at for not wearing them.
I can look at it that way but if I tell her that she will start asking for the 20% as her stipend.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
As someone who actually _did_ live in Saudi Arabia, and recently, I can tell you that on most compounds an 3abaya is not obligatory. That includes "pseudocompounds" such as Al-Safarat in Riyadh. And even if some of the neighbors might "prefer" your wife to wear one, no, no-one is going to try to threaten or cajole her or you into wearing one. The police and compound security sure won't (just ascertain the compound does not have an 3abaya rule; I'm not aware of any that does, but you never know). The only agency interested in what women wear is the Haya (commission for the prevention of virtue and promotion of vice... - or something like that), but its busybody officers rarely, if ever, do not enter compounds.

The ONLY place where it HAS to be worn is outside compounds and outside any all-female areas. Even then, in places like Jedah, the south, and parts of the north-west, a woman can get away with wearing an 3abaya-like vestment.

Lastly, getting "caught" without one means *you* being asked to tell your wife to put one on. Period.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mashkif,

Do the mutawaan still (at least occasionally) ask for proof of marriage if you're stopped for some reason?

My wife and I had it happen twice, but that was quite a while ago. So, I was wondering if it goes on at all now.

Regards,
John
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Mashkif,

Do the mutawaan still (at least occasionally) ask for proof of marriage if you're stopped for some reason?

My wife and I had it happen twice, but that was quite a while ago. So, I was wondering if it goes on at all now.

Regards,
John

Never experienced it ourselves, but rumor (granted, at least ten years old) has it that it does happen in restaurants on occasion. That includes some pretty high-end ones, such as the one on top of the Burj Almamlaka. If it does occur, it's certainly extremely rare.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never happened to me. As for the OP's question, the reality is that most settle for lousy jobs with apartments. I was lucky in that in Jeddah I was on the Saudi Airline Compound and in Dhahran on the campus of KFUPM. I will not speak of the experience of the "Hollow of Desolation" that is called in Arabic "Hafr Al Batin" !
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: little America Reply with quote

Apart from the obvious: Aramco - and there seems to be confusion as to who can actually live on compound. I think only direct hires, and sometimes they can't either? I'm not sure, I've met people who do live on and others who don't, there seems a lot of factors - like location, marriage status, etc. But the compounds I've managed to get on (and play some sand golf!) have been just like little America, circa 1950s. Bowling Alleys, Cinemas, golf-cart races....

I've met a few guys who have worked for BAE and they have lived on pretty comprehensive compounds, tennis courts and "cafes". Most of the seemed ex-navy turned teachers though.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL786 wrote:
British Council provides a fully furnished compound in Riyadh, Jeddah and Khober.And a very competitive salary and the benefits. .

OH PURLEASE!

Any subsidised night classes available?

I have a grandma who wants to learn how to suck eggs.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: little America Reply with quote

edd_moseley wrote:
Apart from the obvious: Aramco - and there seems to be confusion as to who can actually live on compound. I think only direct hires, and sometimes they can't either?

Dhahran compound is full unless you are a direct hire USAnian. If you land a job in Dhahran but are of any other nationality you will be offered a compound in Abqaiq or Ras Tanura (an hour south or north) and expected to commute or get the laboriously slow Aramco buses. Alternatively I think they give you three months' salary as effective housing allowance to find your own place which is easily enough for a reasonable compound a year or you could save it and live in a public park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: