Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTC, Muscat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgemcduff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: MTC, Muscat Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I've just heard that the new 'Military Technical College' is up and running in Muscat.

It's early days, but has anyone heard how it's going there? I hear the cash is good but there are also a lot of hours to put in, is that right?

Thanks!
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not opened yet but staff are beginning to arrive - most will come next month.
auhruh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

It's been open since for at least two months...
kobold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: MTC...told as it is... Reply with quote

The Military Technological College in Muscat scrapped the contracts signed by teachers and lengthened working hours comprehensively, ‘This is not a democracy’ commented the Irish Head of English, and rightly so, as it is indeed not. The temporary accommodation turned out to be for 5 months – so an 0500 start, a 25km drive to work and returning (25km) at around 1700, 12 hours a day, so 60 hours a week.

There are three distinct management groups, the direct hire Irish Head of English and Deputy Head, the external Australian agency Navitas, and the Omani MOD Administration.

The Direct Hire management are Irish. They have limited interaction with the teachers and are largely mis-fed information by the external agency Navitas. They report to the MOD Administration.

Navitas at MTC are with one exception an all female management group. Supportive and friendly to women, they tend not to get along with male teachers. Some wildly impressive email signatures, several lines long, with coloured logos. There is no rationale to the level assigned to teachers, the experienced teaching beginners and the inadequate teaching higher levels. A loud voice counts for a lot, and flattery for even more. An atmosphere of suspicion and mistrust is generated in which teachers are encouraged to inform on their colleagues for infringement of rules. There is a Navitas phone line for this purpose. The teacher’s working day is divided into 4 hours of teaching a core class, and two hours of academic acrobatics in which classes are rotated to different rooms / teachers for no other reason then to make a good impression on a Navitas CV. “Ï implemented successfully…” Teachers are expected to write detailed, celta style lesson plans for each lesson. Many teaching hours do not appear on teacher’s schedules as they are designated as ‘non-contact hours’. Those hours have included supervising 30 to 50 seventeen year old recruits. Navitas meetings are a forum for the ego trips of authoritarian arm waving feminist managers, interspersed with the weird and wonderful contributions of all and sundry. They tend to drag on interminably. “I just wanted to say to everybody, please remember to turn off your computer. One day I forgot to turn off my computer and….”

The Omani Administration – an almost Saudi Islamic slant on their perspective, demanding initially a contract for teachers with unlimited working hours. His Excellency the Under Secretary demands Respect, namely for Islamic culture, and is highly critical of Un-Islamic Behaviour, i.e. criticism of anyone or anything Omani. He likes to be addressed as ‘Ýour Excellency’, but who wouldn’t ? Those who criticise the Omani Administration are likely to find themselves rapidly experiencing disciplinary procedures and being pressured to resign. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MTC...told as it is... Reply with quote

kobold wrote:
Navitas at MTC are with one exception an all female management group. Supportive and friendly to women, they tend not to get along with male teachers.

Ah... welcome to the world that we women have always had to live with... Sounds like you should probably get a job in Saudi so that you don't have to deal with any women.

Someone should head to the Ministry of Labor with their signed contracts and expose the fact that they are breaking it. Oman has historically been pretty good about enforcement of this sort of thing.

VS
Ma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: MTC...told as it is... Reply with quote

Hi Kobold

Very much enjoyed your post and look forward to more tall and improbable tales from MTC. What took so long?! It's not even April 1st Very Happy
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kobold,

Are teachers leaving then?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me one of the positives in KSA was that I had no female colleagues or, God forbid, bosses to deal with.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
For me one of the positives in KSA was that I had no female colleagues or, God forbid, bosses to deal with.

Laughing You are so good at maintaining your reputation as a misogynistic old poop!! Have you been able to hide it from your daughters?

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

You mean those daughters of his who boss him around all the time? Very Happy

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... those very ones... Cool

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awful - but depressingly like the first year of every new college in the Middle East
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? These were the jobs people talked about for months and it's been a disappointing first report
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a teacher from there last night and he seemed very content with his lot. His only (minor) beef was that the holidays aren't as good as at the MOHE/MOM.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. was the first post inaccurate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: