Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Taiwan Reply with quote

How are things in Taiwan?

Taiwan is a nice place to live. I sort of miss it now that I have been gone for two years. However, considering the job market in Taiwan, you won't see me returning to Taiwan any time soon. However I hope things are going well for everyone still in Taiwan.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been gone for two years as well, and one problem I can't seem to solve is that although I can make more money in Canada, I have to live in Canada. I earn more in my current job than I could ever realistically hope to make in Taiwan, but I don't really care; my wife and I are planning to go back to Taiwan sometime next year or the year after. I figure I'll try to get a job at an international school or a public school or whatever. My wife is Taiwanese; maybe we could set up a stinky tofu stand somewhere.

Last edited by Ferfichkin on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin, I know the feeling. If I could find a stable job in Taiwan, I would never have returned to the U.S. Teaching in a buxiban kills me.

Currently, I am trying to improve my skill set and maybe work remotely from Taiwan.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
although I can make more money in Canada, I have to live in Canada.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in Canada, either.

But even if you are earning more money in Canada, you're probably in a 40% (or more) tax bracket, right?

The cost of living in Taiwan is so much cheaper than in Canada and if you live in Taipei, you don't have to operate a gas guzzling car.

JZ'er, yeah, working in a buxiban is, as a general rule, a nasty way to go, especially if you're a middle aged guy. Tolerable for a few years as a guy in his 20s or early 30s. But I would never do it again - at least not full time.

International schools, your own school or even a job as a university instructor are all good options if you have the financial wherewithal and business or academic background for those jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: