Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Teacher Feared Dead in Doha
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
There are hundreds of thousands of sexually-frustrated men in Doha, from downtrodden slave-labourers right up to supremely-privileged locals. My girlfriend hated going out by herself, as she would regularly be stared at and even approached by men offering their phone numbers, and even money, for her 'companionship'.

This describes the situation in the Middle East. This is the result of their unnatural segregation of the sexes and religiously approved enforcement thereof and justification for mistreatment of women in public.

My advice to any woman heading to this part of the world is get used to being stared at... it will be a constant. After about a month, I just ignored it and them. Before all the Russian hookers showed up after the fall of the USSR, Western women would only be approached by locals... and I learned what to say to them in Arabic to put them in their place. The ever present hookers have made life more difficult for all the women in the Gulf.

And BTW... it doesn't matter if you are young or old... attractive or not. The lighter your skin and hair, the more attention you will get. You can be in your 50's, weigh 400 pounds, and have no teeth... Rolling Eyes

VS
eha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least people talk about it now. Back in the day, the expat community was as big into victim-blaming as the local culture... over any problems that arose. And there were many, not least of which was the conspiracy of silence of intimidated people in denial. The ferocity with which anyone who spoke up.. not necessarily only about such extremes as attitudes to women, etc....meant that everyone kept their mouths shut, or worse, identified sycophantically with whatever those in power wanted.
NikiSC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering teaching in Qatar. I have very pale skin and red hair, so the idea, that once again, I could be mistaken for a Russian prostitute (happened a few times in China), has me concerned. What I am wondering is if wearing an abaya and covering my hair would discourage those kind of beliefs towards me. I am already aware that women, in general, are always at risk, no matter where they live. I just wonder if the abaya would discourage the prostitute way of thinking towards my ethnicity.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the risks are extremely small with a minimum of common sense. Walking the street or beach alone at night... scantily dressed will attract plenty of offers to pick up some extra cash.

During normal daily life, your pale skin and red hair will draw stares, perhaps a few comments in languages you don't understand, and nothing much else. The women at danger are those in low level positions with dark skins are the ones who are in serious danger.

None of the expat women wear abayas unless they are converts. That will draw a different sort of unwanted attention. Laughing I found just ignoring them was enough. The Gulf is high multiples safer for Western women than nearly anywhere in the US these days.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East Asian women are more likely to be considered prostitutes (few Russians Eastern Europeans in Qatar).

Wearing an abaya will not avoid any unwanted advances, in my experience (with Muslim ladies who wear the abaya) they get harassed at times just as the rest of us do.

Common sense will serve to protect you in Qatar as it would anywhere in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: