Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What method do Academies use to pay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: What method do Academies use to pay? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I was think about coming to Thailand for a short time (less than 6 months) and just teach to break even. At the average academy, how do they normally pay? Once a month? Two weeks? a month behind like Japan?

Obviously I am looking for ideally cash at the end of the day but I'm not holding my breath for this kind of position.

Is there enough of a market to do the random odd job or 1 day work for the duration of 2 months?

Looking only at BKK.

Thanks for any info.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Most academies pay monthly at the hourly rate of Baht 300. Don't expect any job security however....there is a high turnover rate of EFL teachers working at language institutes/academies and the students rule the rooster! Good luck, Smile
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input.

With my qualifications, its just silly to think about making a living in Thailand, hence the short time period.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people come to Thailand to be in Thailand. Teaching in Thailand is done in order to remain in Thailand or SE Asia for an extended period of time. You won't make very much money teaching here for only six months if you make any money at all. Teachers generally start out at US 1000 per month, not very much when you consider that you have to pay airfare to get there. You will have to rent an apartment and pay bus expenses. Also after one month you will have to start doing visa runs every two months, that will be $130 US for a multiple entry visa every 4 months and $50 US for a border run every two months in between the visa runs. If you're fired it will take time to get another teaching job, no money then. There could be other problems as well, reduced pay in between semesters, medical problems, flooding and other calamities. If nothing goes wrong you will land maybe $2000 in savings after your total expenses. If things go wrong you could end out being stuck in Thailand or relying on your embassy to buy you a ticket home if you don't come prepared with enough money. In general it amounts to be do you want to experience being in and teaching in Thailand? The people that teach here are generally tourists, people who come to find partners, or professional types that come to see what education is like in SE Asia.
surendra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info plumpy nut.

In your last sentence, I would obviously classify as a tourist. Also, I'm merely seeing if I can break even when coming over for the duration of 1.5 months or so. I'd come from Japan with a double entry visa, so effectively two 90day periods. I'm a "teacher" so I have the TEFL and exp. So I'm not the type of person you were speaking of.

But I think its a 50/50 shot if I can get just a little work abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: