Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Ed abroad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed in your post that you have experience in ABA therapy/children with autism? I appreciate that (as a mother of a child with it myself) but as an ESL teacher, I warn you it might be very disheartening to see it abroad.
weshh1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your trouble finding the right environment for your son. I know it can be hard and having a good classroom with the right management and compassion can make a world of difference. Ive been substituting in the US at various special education classrooms and there has been a huge range in how different staff handle behaviors and interactions. I cant even imagine the differences with how children are treated in other countries.

By far the best classroom I have been in was the one I was a teaching assistant for last year. It was at a charter school for Autistic kids and because the whole school revolved around ASD all the teachers were well informed on how to manage the classroom.

I hope you find the right classroom for your son and I highly recommend looking at different charter schools in the area to see if there are any specializing in teaching children with Autism. Good luck on your adventure back home!

spiral: I would ideally run a special ed classroom at an international school . Based on most of the comments it looks like this is not a very common thing overseas. As far as teaching english to special ed learners.... special education or ESE is very broad. There is a wide range of abilities and for some kids it is mainly behavioral issues that get in the way of their learning. Some kids just have trouble focusing. These kids could still be on grade level but are sometimes put in special classrooms because they are a distraction to other students and require too much individual attention from the teacher. I could see classrooms with high functioning ESE kids being geared towards teaching them english. Again, I dont know how common it is. Doesnt seem like its very common, but I could see it happening.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not direct your questions about possible career paths/opportunities to Teach Away since they're familiar with jobs in your field abroad? Send them an email or contact them via phone.
weshh1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great idea!
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a huge demand, if not at international schools, then among the families who have another sibling they are keeping at home. In fact, I often hear of people working in diplomacy bidding on locations based on where there are schools that have special education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: