Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imagination Education
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Imagination Education Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Has any been offered a recent position with Imagination Education (hq in Beijing, branches in 6 cities)? I just received an offer and would like to know if anyone has worked for them before or has been hired by them.

Just curious. Thanks in advance.
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found out anything new? Or started working with them?

Because I'm just been offered a job here too, but can't find too much online about them.
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Follow up for Imagination Edu Reply with quote

Here's the deal so far. I was offered a position in another city that I had originally agreed to (Zhuhai -> Zhengzhou). They also asked that I sort out the Visa myself because I'm needed to quickly (I'm 7 hours from the nearest Chinese consulate). Judging by the very fact that they are a large and sprawling institution I would expect that I.E. had agents who facilitated the Visa process. I haven't gotten a proper contract yet just on salary confirmation. I asked for the contract to be drawn up for my personally and I haven't heard back from them in 3 weeks. I've written HR and the recruiters (3rd party) again without any result. So I'm in limbo. I suggested if they are too pressured for time that they can hire me for the next term. Hope this helps. Jacob
mike w

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red flags are waving!!
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is generally how China deals with applicants. I've been in this mess before in regards to sitting on offers that never become contracts, especially as it relates to China. The salary is quite good but the office/teaching hours are a bit like working in a regular job. If you have any leads elsewhere, feel free to share. Cheers!
teachering228

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also known as Beijing Imagination Education Group? (hq in Beijing, according to their website, they have an office in Cali)

Their required hours are not light, would only have Sundays off. I was 1/2 through the hiring process, but decided less workload would allow me more free time . They sent me a detailed contract(after repeated enquiries) and it is extensive for China ( 22pg?!) Lots of strict guidelines if they are truly enforced.

That's funny, they also said they needed me immediately and (1yr contract) would not paid for visa process. They tried to nail down an agreed salary before showing a complete contract. PM if you want a copy.
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys.

You guys' stories sound quite familiar. We had agreed on one location (Shenzhen), then I did a demo lesson. Then they sent me a 20 pg "sample" contract full of red flags.

There was a whole section about ways they suddenly docked my pay for a variety of dubious situations. They also seemed quite vague or dodgy with the location (suddenly Beijing instead for "training"), salary (20% off for probation), and housing. And I haven't heard a peep about the visa.

Thanks for helping confirm my suspicions everyone.
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember. Beijing is only for training then you're shipped out to a branch. I originally chose Zhuhai for the cleaner air, did my demo on Skype and then they changed the branch about 3 weeks later. I still haven't heard a word back. Aren't most China-based teaching contracts full of silly rules and regs?
calvin8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Beijing Imagination Education Reply with quote

I have been teaching overseas for a few years . This is the most unprofessional dishoneset outfit I have worked for. They forged credentials on my resume There is no curriculum . People come and go and no one knows why. There is someone named Lucy Haagen who worked with them who does SAT work in Beijing. She did not answer my query about the organization. They have a front man who is very nice, who will talk your socks off and is very busy flying all over China. I have caught him in various lies, in meetings and private conversations. My branch manager was lied to by him about my credentials, and hasn't been able to run classes because its clear I don't have the qualification they forged on my resume.
He told me the Dalton School in NYC was interested in working with them to open a private boarding school. They sent me reading selections to proof for SAT. I sent them to my daughter, who scored highy on the SAT and attended a prestigious private liberal arts school. She wondered why they were using the material for critical reading study, as it was inappropriate and irrelevant to the type of essays used for the SAT.
A good portion of the contract is dedicated to their right to all the intellectual property you develop for them. There is no curriuculum.
Pay is always late. And they will hold your pay. None of this is presented at the offer, only when you have flown half way around the world and are seated in their office do you get the real deal. And, don't come early for training. They will not pay for it and there is no training!!
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Lucy Reply with quote

I worked with Lucy Haagen before. She seems like a really nice American lady, but she will lie to your face or say that things like when you get paid are someone else's job.

She is really full of it. Do not trust her or work with her.
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anymore news on this outfit?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine…Education!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Mr. English

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a skype interview and then skype demonstration with this outfit about a month ago, was told at the end of the demonstration that I was set to go for part-time work here in Guangzhou. The woman I was dealing with told me that there would be lots of work this summer. I haven't heard a word from them since, have received no contract, nothing.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike w wrote:
The red flags are waving!!

And not the red-flag-kind-of-waving one would expect on May Day either!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
SledgeCleaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listen to that name: Imagination Education. Sounds like something you'd say to a bushy-tailed psychology major while holding a piece of candy out the side of an unmarked van.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: