Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta out-dated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say I am disappointed with the lack of information on this thread about why Celta is outdated. I was hoping that the Celta scales would drop from my eyes. But this has not happened.

Anyway, cheers to those of you who did reply
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent read teh therad but I must say that I think the CELTA is great and I got an A!!! Cool

It's a good course and I think teachers need to do something like this of the MA. I dont think the CELTA is outdated I think it will change with the teaching styles. I was told that the PPP method was always used by CELTA for a long time and then they founf new ways like guided discovery and stuff and they put that in there too and also test teach test and they put that in there and a few other things. So I think the point is wrong. Cool

Cool
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id agree with the above post .. I have Trinity rather than CELTA, but its a fair comparison I think. Anyway, when I did my course in 2008 the course provider did say that PPP was the previously favoured method, but they had their own system which Trinity had accepted as being an accepted method of communicative teaching / learning and so we learnt and taught using the course providers method.

At the time I was doing my Trinity, a friend of mine was doing hers at another venue. Our courses had different content with different emphasis being placed on different modules. She had to do a review of a coursebook (following several input sessions on them) for example, we had just a single input session on them. So this leads me to believe the courses arent rigid in their delivery or syllabus. They can change, and no doubt incorporate new ideas, methods and technology as soon as said ideas become an accepted part of teaching practice.

Interactive whiteboards where used on my course during input sessions ... we never taught a lesson using them though (the school only had 1). As they become more and more common, I would expect they would feature more and more in teaching practice. I bet Ipads might feature in trainee lessons now for images and slideshows.

Definitely not outdated IMO
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the complaints two of the people on our course had was that it wasn't useful for the large classes they had to teach, which I suppose is an economic reality in many parts of the world. Although I can also understand why people going on the CELTA to learn best teaching practices wouldn't want to waste their time with techniques to cope in classrooms that are the antithesis of this.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, class size is an issue. Large numbers do not lend themselves to communicative lessons, or learning based on communicative principles. These principles are the keystone of Celta, so Celta is not going to deal with managing 20 plus groups. Anymore than it deals with principles of translation.

If trainees are dissatisfied with that, then that would be like going to piano trio recital and complaining it wasn't an orchestra.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be too difficult to transcribe between chamber and orchestral, though.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcribe? Transpose? Transition?

I fear we'll get tied up in knots with this metaphor.

In any case, some music just wasn't meant for a full orchestral treatment. Lieder music, for example. Just won't work as a choral version backed up by an eighty-piece. Same with TEFL...
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this would be a fantastic opportunity for the Crouch End Philharmoania to do Strauss' Beim Schlafengehen with a 100-voice chorus plus cannons! Drill 'em, Maestro!
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
But this would be a fantastic opportunity for the Crouch End Philharmoania to do Strauss' Beim Schlafengehen with a 100-voice chorus plus cannons! Drill 'em, Maestro!

Try that buddy, I'm sure you will be met with some resistance, but hey let's get back the the professionalism of the CELTA.

My hamster had an accident, it jumped off of the balcony in Crouch End. No tears shed.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Must say I am disappointed with the lack of information on this thread about why Celta is o******d.

@Sasha: Do you realize this thread is only multiplying the number of hits for 'CELTA' + 'O**-****D'. It's now close to a million. Mad Laughing

To counteract this negative hype, I've put together this string we should all add as signatures to our posts:

CELTA cutting-edge CELTA futuristic CELTA 21st century CELTA 2017 CELTA ahead of its time CELTA tomorrow's TEFL certificate CELTA ubermodern

----------
@Spiral: Universities in Canada are starting to change, which once started, is likely to accelerate. It's not just Moodle, MOOCs and iPads. Uni's are starting to pay more attention to student learning and in some faculties they're subdividing profs into those who prefer to focus on research and those who prefer to teach and they're the ones creating the 'flipped classroom' phenomenon where class time is focused on discussions, Q&A, group work etc, rather than lectures which the prof uploads as lesson prep for students. Communicative TEFLers were the first to flip classrooms! So you see, it's not that o*****d after all.

The thing I'm wondering based on everyone's comments is whether those who consider CELTA o*******d, are those used to that. However, my B.Ed was as compressed as the CELTA needs to be (as Sasha argues)--4 mo's on campus, 4 mo's on prac and while there was a lot of lecturing on campus and tons of reading---I was always reading---there was also engaging group and class discussion including online---the balance was right. Would those who've done the CELTA confer?

One thing I would've liked to see in my original TEFL Cert was videos of various teachers teaching and discussing their methods and effectiveness.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LongShiKong"]
----------
@Spiral: Universities in Canada are starting to change, which once started, is likely to accelerate. It's not just Moodle, MOOCs and iPads. Uni's are starting to pay more attention to student learning and in some faculties they're subdividing profs into those who prefer to focus on research and those who prefer to teach and they're the ones creating the 'flipped classroom' phenomenon where class time is focused on discussions, Q&A, group work etc, rather than lectures which the prof uploads as lesson prep for students. Communicative TEFLers were the first to flip classrooms! So you see, it's not that o*****d after all.

The University of Toronto offers an online TEFL for just over a grand. Seems as if things are moving ahead in the world of ESL. Isn't Toronto uni within the top 20 of the world? Still, the CELTA crowd will moan, whinge and wail as it doesn't have the extra special 6 hours of (im) practical teaching component.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celta crowd will point out the obvious: that any online course without the all-important observed TP is going to do very little in the way of preparing newcomers to EFL for the realities of classroom life. It doesn't matter which of the top twenty universities offers an online, this is hardly a case of 'moving ahead'. Pandering to the market, perhaps, but that is about all.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:

@Sasha: Do you realize this thread is only multiplying the number of hits for 'CELTA' + 'O**-****D'. It's now close to a million. Mad Laughing

Close a million, you say? That's high. I must run a Google search myself and see if I can come across any criticisms that are not childish complaints, or penned by illiterates incapable of reasoned, coherent argument...
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I actually worked at such a Canadian university during the time of the shift. They particularly wanted me as I've specialized in student-centred learning approaches over the years in both MA and PhD work, and I was a part of the team guiding the approach/method shift. Not sure where you got the notion that I'm behind the wave on this, though 'communicative' is no longer a big enough term to describe what's happening. The university where I was described the approach as 'experiential.' Overall, I have spent literally over a decade in just such classrooms as you describe above in Europe and Canada.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said that we've moved from the communicative approach era (such a broad term) to a post-method era.

“It has been realized that there never was and probably never will be a method for all, and the focus in recent years has been on the development of classroom tasks and activities which are consonant with what we know about second language acquisition, and which are also in keeping with the dynamics of the classroom itself” Nunan, 1991.

Coupled with Prabhu's, 'Sense of Plausibility' I think means that there will be a much more individual focus on teachers' methodologies.

Don't get me wrong, I think a CLT approach has a lot going for it - I'm a fan, but to say that this is the best way for every teacher should teach is sweeping statement. In my opinion, it's a good guideline - it's the best method for the most amount of people. Unfortunately it seems that if you don't fit into this camp, you're out of luck.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: