Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INTESOL online certification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scullycc1013

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: INTESOL online certification? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the online TESOL certification from INTESOL? I just want to make sure they are a reasonable program if I am going to pay close to $1,000. Also, do they help much with job placement? Please let me know. Thanks for the help.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some serious homework before paying $1,000 for an online program. Most places, an entry-level course is at least 100 hours on-site and should include a minimum of 6 hours of practice teaching, supervised by teacher trainers who will give you feedback on how you do.
Exposure to theory is all an on-line course can offer - whether you can apply it or not is another question.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about half way through an i-i online course.....and to be honest, I dont rate it very highly in terms of help in the classroom.....

I have been fortunate in that I have had experience as a classroom assistant in Africa, and as a volunteer teacher in China.... and this is how I have been offered my first paid position...

The cert will just allow me to get a visa? (apparently) I certainly dont think it will help greatly in my ability as a teacher tho...

Of course, I realsie that not everyone can take a course other than online...so all I am saying really is not to have great expectations...and think carefully before paying a lot for it
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Do some serious homework before paying $1,000 for an online program. Most places, an entry-level course is at least 100 hours on-site and should include a minimum of 6 hours of practice teaching, supervised by teacher trainers who will give you feedback on how you do.
Exposure to theory is all an on-line course can offer - whether you can apply it or not is another question.

Spiral's right. It's important to look at who runs and who accredits such courses. INTESOL is run by the TEFL recruiter Goldstar. For some of its clients such as Disney, no TEFL or experience is needed. For most others such as EF, Shane, or Wall St, a generic TEFL is sufficient.

INTESOL claims it's 'fully accredited' but neither accrediting body is ELT-related and even their premium Level 5 courses merely "comply with the recommendations laid down by the British Council". And whether you study online or in class, a supervised teaching component is an 'option' they probably charge extra for. Despite the 30% discount offered if you accept their employment offer, your'e better off with a CELTA or even a generic TEFL.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread's 7 years old....
...why now?

Shocked

Not that I think anything's changed, but has INTESOL been in recent news, and the thread needed to be bumped??

Or maybe I'm living in the twilight zone somehow............... Question
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
This thread's 7 years old....
...why now?

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I'd just come across INTESOL on a GoldStar Recruitment ad for Wall St and recognizing that GS shares the same corporate colours as it's Wall St's parent, Pearson, wondered if they were connected. Over the past few years, it seems GS has taken on HR for the large franchise ops in China and elsewhere: EF, Disney, Wall St and Shane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: