Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which country is the easiest to deal with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Which country is the easiest to deal with? Reply with quote

Which Latin American country presents the least amount of hassles for a foreign teacher? By hassles, I'm thinking mainly of bureaucracy, crime, xenophobia (especially anti-American sentiment), and crooked or inept employers.

I haven't been on these forums for very long, but it looks like Costa Rica might be what I am looking for. It sounds like the people are friendly and work permit requirements are not enforced.

Am I wrong about this? I don't need to make much money; I mainly want to gain ESL teaching experience and improve my Spanish. I'm looking at staying less than a year. Is there a better choice than Costa Rica?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which country is the easiest to deal with? Reply with quote

Mike from MI wrote:
Which Latin American country presents the least amount of hassles for a foreign teacher? By hassles, I'm thinking mainly of bureaucracy, crime, xenophobia (especially anti-American sentiment), and crooked or inept employers.

I haven't been on these forums for very long, but it looks like Costa Rica might be what I am looking for. It sounds like the people are friendly and work permit requirements are not enforced.

Am I wrong about this? I don't need to make much money; I mainly want to gain ESL teaching experience and improve my Spanish. I'm looking at staying less than a year. Is there a better choice than Costa Rica?

I would vote for Peru myself...
DrNapalmstrike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I'm also from MI. Cadillac and East Lansing. Anyway, I have been looking into going to CR too. Sounds friendly, like you had mentioned. Though I hear with the high number of English speakers there, you might not get a chance to improve your Spanish as much as if you moved to a country with less English speakers, such as Colombia. I'm thinking about being in San Jose in January, that's when the jobs are in high season as far as I can tell from these boards. Haven't been there my self so I can't say for sure.

Panama also looks promising to me. Public transport, beautiful beaches, the rumor of jobs on the forum boards, etc.. Colombia is supposed to be very nice too.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also a Michigander, but have been living and teaching in Ecuador for about ten years. There are quite a few jobs in the big cities (Quito, Guayaquil) here. If you have an university degree, it is fairly easy to get a resident visa which allows you to work anywhere. Once you have the resident visa, you can get contracted, and receive the national health care, although many folks opt to supplement that. There are jobs in high schools, English institutes, universities, etc.
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I'll do some more research.

There seem to be a lot of Michiganders on these boards. Back in the early 90s, I taught in Korea for a year, which was my first real job after college. The company had a recruiter who lived in Ypsilanti. They liked to recruit in Michigan because the dialect of educated Michiganders was the easiest to understand and the closest to what they heard in American media. The lack of jobs in our state probably gave them a decent applicant pool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: