Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In need of some direction please....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pattic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: In need of some direction please.... Reply with quote

Hi! I've been browsing through this forum for a few months and I am looking for some info & advice from some of you who have been at this a while. I'm 53, female and while I have no degree, I have been employeed in the real estate/escrow industry in southern California for over 30 years, so I have extensive professional, computer and managerial background and experience, all of which may or may not be of any use.

I am considering moving to Mexico, getting a TEFL cert and embarking on a new life and career. My reason for Mexico is partially due to my lack of degree and also because it's reasonably close to home and family. My funds are somewhat limited so I'm trying to keep the costs of the TEFL cert down as much as possible to use the funds for living & relo expenses.

I'm not looking to make a fortune but just to make ends meet without constantly feeling as though I'm only treading water - struggling just to get by.

So main question is will my work experience count for anything at all? I've searched the business forums but really have not seen too much there that seemed to be relevant, unless I'm just not searching correctly. Is this plan reasonable or with limited funds and resources and lack of degree do I have too many things working against me?

Hopefully this hasn't been too long winded and I'd appreciate any input, advice, direction, whatever......
mahdi1432

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattic:

Cliffsnote:
With no degrees at all, even with a lot of experience, it is hard to get recruited from overseas (e.g US). Some countries will hire on the street for just experience.

I have very little experience of the TEFL world and like you, most of what I will share is based on reading many (6 months now) sources on the topic.

Typically the degree barrier is of 2 sorts:
    1. It is a requirement for a country to approve a VISA for you to come over. If you don't have any, they can't hire you to come over
    2. Degrees (Bachelor, Masters, etc...) set a benchmark for the hiring school of a certain profile without knowing what you do and how you do it. Degrees tell school what you have been taugh to do.

Being hired overseas without degrees, happens because:
    1. They don't need to do paperwork to get you a VISA to come over (you are already there).
    2. They can assess your level and experience because of the face to face interaction.

Regardless, the #1 unanimous warning in the TEFL overseas world, be sure to get the proper work permit in order not to be kicked out of the country with no pay.

Typically, very few countries will be accommodating to all the above factors.
pattic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply; Yes, I know its hard to get work unless you are actually there and my plan was to get my cert and look for work in country if possible. I understand the visa/degree requirements for many countries which is another reason that Mexico seemed to be a good fit for me. The last thing I want to worry about is working illegally, being deported, etc., and while I'd rather not have to go back and forth between the US and Mexico while getting everything lined up, if I need to, its a pretty cheap flight (yet another check in the Mexico column).
Thank you for your input!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pattic wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply; Yes, I know its hard to get work unless you are actually there and my plan was to get my cert and look for work in country if possible. I understand the visa/degree requirements for many countries which is another reason that Mexico seemed to be a good fit for me. The last thing I want to worry about is working illegally, being deported, etc., and while I'd rather not have to go back and forth between the US and Mexico while getting everything lined up, if I need to, its a pretty cheap flight (yet another check in the Mexico column).
Thank you for your input!

The rules for getting a work visa have changed in Mexico this year. If you're in the country on a tourist visa, you won't be able to apply for a work visa in country. You'll have to find a school willing to hire you and then return to your home country and apply for a work visa at your nearest Mexican Consulate. Of course, there will always be schools willing to give you work even if you are here on a tourist visa, but you would be working illegally, something you don't wish to do, and for good reason!
pattic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that - ok, well if that is the case then at least I am close to home and the travel expenses will be minimal. Or maybe do you think it's a better plan to take care of the cert in the US and arrive with that in hand? I thought I had seen posts advising to take the course wherever one planned to work, but that may have been outdated
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some information in other threads about good places in Mexico to do the certificate.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible for you to find a position that would appreciate your experience, but it won't be easy. It also won't be easy to make enough in your first few years in Mexico without a degree. Basically there are three kinds of English teachers in Mexico who are making a comfortable living, 1)teachers in good private K-12 schools, 2)teachers with full-time university positions, 3)teachers who have worked up the ladder and built a good reputation. A degree is a requirement for the first two. So that leaves you with the last option. Your work experience probably wouldn't necessarily "count" in terms of getting you a job--but it would probably been an asset to you in terms of reading the organizational culture of your new employer and seeing how to make yourself indispensable and finding ways to grow your income. Remember that there are a lot of start of costs in moving to Mexico. The visa will be over 300 dollars, many apartments require a month's deposit plus first month's rent upfront, an come unfurnished--even without major appliances. You can find furnished places in big cities, but the rent is so much more on those places that over the course of a year you could have easily bought all the furniture with additional rent paid.

My question to you is, apart from it being close and fairly accessible to home which I'm assuming is Southern California from your post, why Mexico? Do you speak Spanish? Do you know people living in Mexico? Which part? What cities are you interested in? A lot of things in Mexico happen through personal connections so if your interest in Mexico is due to that, there are lots of ways to use that to your advantage. And apart from that, Mexico is a very varied country in terms of climate, and amenities available in the different cities/regions.
pattic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you notamiss - this forum has a wealth of info on courses and I've been weeding through the various threads on the good the bad and everything in between, which has been really helpful......

MotherF, thank you for your insight and while it was a little less encouraging then I had hoped, I really appreciate your candor! I speak a little spanish, though not too much, but don't know anyone personally living there. About 4 years ago I did some traveling through Central and South America for about a month and loved it, though the majority of my time was spent in central Chili.

I've been researching different areas in Mexico, and haven't really come to any final conclusion - and I really don't know that I am in a position to be too picky, but my preference would be a warmer climate and I don't mind the humidity. But in reality it come down to where I was able to find work.

thanks again for your input
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: