Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about the HK NET scheme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
looseleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Questions about the HK NET scheme Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm an English guy living and teaching in Japan on the JET programme.

I'm interested in applying for the HK NET scheme, applying through the EDB NET scheme.

I have a few questions that I was hoping some kind people on here might be able to help me with.

I've had a look all over t'net at information for this scheme but am missing a few parts of the puzzle, perhaps someone who has been through the process can fill in the blanks?

It's because I'm living in Japan that I think there might be some.....difficulties.....in applying.

As far as I can tell, I need to send in my documents for January time, they'll then be assessed and, if eligible, I'll be asked for an interview.

My first question is this - where can I go for an interview, given that I'm living in Japan and don't fancy flying to London just for an interview? Is it possible to take the interview in HK? Japan?

So, if I'm successful, then I'll be put on the EDB list and then can start applying for jobs at schools in HK. The interview itself doesn't guarantee you a job, unlike the JET scheme.

My next question is about these interviews - what are my chances of being invited for interviews when I'm in Japan and what kind of interviews can they do (Skype or just face to face)? I don't think I can afford the flight over for every interview (nor will I have the holiday to do so).

Will this severely affect my chances of getting a job, or is it normal for people to be interviewed from outside of HK, given that they need to get a job before they can get a visa and stay there, etc.?

I feel this is a bit like the whole chicken and the egg situation. Which comes first, the visa or moving to HK??

Finally, based on my experience, do you think I'd be suitable for a role as a HK EDB NET?

I will have had 4 years teaching experience in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher. I hope to have passed CELTA before applying. I have a degree (not in English) and a Masters (again, not in English), both from UK universities. I generally interview well and before teaching I worked in some management positions, so know about responsibility/management and all that jazz. I'll be finishing my role in Japan at the end of July and hope to start working by the new term in September.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! Any help would be gratefully appreciated ^_^
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be out of date, but, my missus applied for NET from Korea back in '98. She was called for interview and flew to HK for that in March '99. I can't recall whether she had to pay for the flight herself or not, but I suspect she did. Perhaps it was refunded later when she got the job - dunno.

After the interview she heard nothing until summer, when she was told she had passed the interview, but then had to wait some more, and was called out of the blue about 6am at home in the US for a telephone interview, which went OK. She then had about two or three weeks to pack her bags and get to HK around mid August.

Sounds like you don't have a PGCE - if that's the case it will go against you as the majority of NETs have full teacher quals and QTS. Having said that, people do get taken on without a PGCE, but you will be stuck at the bottom of the pay scale, which, however, is still quite decent.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have any QTS / PGCE / PGDE but I'm hoping that I'll be able to study for one at HKU, I understand that you can do a part time PGDE (or is it PGCE?) whilst working.

I know that it wouldn't be recognisable worldwide, however, that's fine as I plan to be in HK long term enough to justify doing it. I guess it's worth mentioning that in the interview, if I ever get one Smile
toko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get an interview with the EDB, you'll have to pay your own way here. Also, I've known people who have flown here, interviewed, and weren't accepted into the candidate pool.

The NET scheme is flooded now, there are way too many candidates that are still waiting around in HK for a job. I heard it was better years ago, when you had choices. Now, you try your hardest to get an interview and you can't say no.

I have a friend in Japan who is in the candidate pool and had numerous SKYPE interviews with schools. He also stayed here for a whole month during May for possible school interviews. All sounded positive but nothing happened. I think there are enough people here in HK that they can choose right after a face-to-face interview.

Plus, local experience helps A LOT. Try to get one year teaching at a public school as an ELTA, build a portfolio, and learn all those pesky acronyms that they like to hear at the interviews. Then you'll have a greater chance for getting school interviews.

It's pretty grim to get in a school now. The NETs that are already in are holding onto their school and not letting go!
ironopolis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
This may be out of date, but, my missus applied for NET from Korea back in '98. She was called for interview and flew to HK for that in March '99.

The same was true in 2007 when I applied from Japan.

Quote:
If you get an interview with the EDB, you'll have to pay your own way here.

And what Toko mentioned above was also true in 2007. I did, however, subsequently (as in several months later) receive HK$1000 towards my interview expenses. Better than nothing, although it covered not much over 10% of the cost of a flight from Japan to HK and back plus accommodation in HK. And it was sent as a cheque in HK$ which cost me about 25% of its value to get the damn thing cashed in Japan.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, as I thought, it seems like getting a place on the EDB NET scheme could be quite difficult (although I was told the same about the JET scheme).

Anyone know any easy ways to get in the door and begin teaching in HK, so as to earn that experience in HK before I apply for NET?

Toko - you mentioned applying to be an ELTA, any idea what kind of salary that would pay and whether they pay for housing costs etc? Also, do they only start in September time? Just wondering if it'd be the same case as EDB NET - turn up and hope for the best, most likely shelling out a lot of money and possibly getting nowhere?

Thanks for all the answers so far. More to think about Smile
toko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELTAs can be hired directly by the school (18-23,000 HKD pay with no added benefits, often 9-10 month contracts. Private hire is quite hard to find, though. A lot of people do the whole "agency" thing for a year, which allows you to make contact with the schools and be available for interviews into a private ELTA hire later, or the NET scheme. Agencies pay about the same. You can also work at language centers, but then you may be doing 5.5-6 days a week, with non-consective days off. At least with an agency placing in a school, you get weekends and paid holidays.

Yes, they usually start in September. But, agencies also have a lot of people to choose from and like to hire people on the ground in HK.
SCMP Classifieds is your best place for private hire schools and agencies , and JobsDB is good for agencies and language centers.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those sites. I'll check them out now.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in HK greatly increases your chances of getting on the net scheme. Without a teaching degree/PGDE/pgce and not being in HK, I think your chances of getting on the scheme is close to zero. It may be possible to pass the edb interview that way but a school will probably not look twice at you without being here. Also as someone said experience with the HK education system is a huge asset.

If you can't get on as an ELTA, then I think kindergarten is better experience than a tutorial centre. The skills are more relevant when teaching P1 and P2, especially if you have experience with a good synthetic phonics program.

Having successfully gone through the application and interview process 2 years ago, I can also say that getting onto the NET scheme is very competitive, there are literally thousands of people all over the world and in HK applying for 50 - 70 jobs. In the end some things will greatly help you, like experience, qualification, good interviewing skills and knowing what areas to address in the interviews (PLPRW, NET duties, phonics, shared/guided reading), being in HK all help but in the end, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. I don't have a PGDE but I beat out people who did for a place at my school so I guess I t also depends on what the school is looking for.

Last year seemed even more competitive without the vacancy list so I can only imagine this year will be even more competitive. Good luck to all but don't hold your breath.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send in your application...as has been said many times - the EdB are a law unto themselves. If you fail, email and ask them why - then that is what you know to work on next time.
knautica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Annual Leave allowance for new SNET teachers? Reply with quote

Hi,

I cant find the annual leave info on the SNET page;

http://www.west-web.net/pnet/

Can any one kindly illuminate?

Thanks very much!
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Leave allowance for new SNET teachers? Reply with quote

knautica wrote:
Hi,

I cant find the annual leave info on the SNET page;

http://www.west-web.net/pnet/

Can any one kindly illuminate?

Thanks very much!

two things:

1. annual leave depends on your school, although typically a NET in the EdB scheme gets a long Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Easter holiday. Summer holidays vary - it could be 3 weeks or 5 weeks. Buddhist schools might get other holidays, Islamic schools other holidays, etc.

2. the link that you gave is for a non-EdB PNET site, not SNET. It is one of the best resources for NETs in Hong Kong however, much much better than what the EdB provides.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are asking about how much time you will get off before you have even been accepted then, well, I know I wouldn't give you a job.

We get paid well, and if the school expects you to do as much as the LETs, then that is what you should accept.

You will get time off in the all the right places and it is up to you to discuss that with your Panel Chair at the beginning of the year.
knautica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Joshua,

As you point out, clarifying annual terms leave during job applications should be handled delicately - that's why I'm seeking some clarification on this forum.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knautica wrote:
Thanks for the information Joshua,

As you point out, clarifying annual terms leave during job applications should be handled delicately - that's why I'm seeking some clarification on this forum.
You're missing my point....but never mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: