Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those of you who quit early - when did you know it was time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Those of you who quit early - when did you know it was time? Reply with quote

My school has been treating me supremely badly lately. I don't think it's going to get any better. I was told that if my roommate quit (which he did), they would find me a new one or pay his half of the rent until a new native teacher could be brought in. Now I'm told I'm responsible to find a roommate instead, since they can't find any English teachers willing to come work for them. As well, there are some issues with getting my passport back after my visa's converted to multiple-entry, though I can't tell if that's the company or the government. I'm sick and tired of being treated like this and am about to give up.

I'm not the only one. Teachers are fleeing like mad (4 quits in two weeks) and the whole school seems to be going down the tubes (though it will probably stay open for ages). I want to quit, but feel ashamed of not being tough enough or loyal enough or whatever to stick it out. I feel like there's a real sense that people who don't stay for the whole time are cowards.

In what circumstances would it be okay to leave? For those of you who did - what was the tipping point? Any country, any sort of school, your stories are welcome. Thanks for any advice.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to start...

If the school owns the flat, then you shouldn't have to stump up for the other half of the rent. If they offered to help you out, getting that in writing would have been useful. Plus it seems you have a good position to negotiate, if everyone else is leaving.

Here are some reasons I'd leave a job:

- it was making me ill (too much work, not enough time off, bullying colleagues or management)
- there was no chance of promotion or progression
- the work itself was not what I wanted (ie too much teaching kids and not enough adults, terrible hours or travelling times)

Here are some reasons I'd delay leaving a job:

- needing to get a reference
- needing to pay off bills
- needing to make some sort of milestone (such as working for a full year)

(All those three above have applied to me at one point or another).

I wouldn't ever be swayed by an argument that I was a "coward" for leaving early.

Hope you can resolve your situation!
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to quit

That says it all. For me, anyway. Everytime in the past that I "toughed it out" at a place that I didn't want to be at, it ended up getting worse. I finally learned my lesson.
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to run at signs of real trouble , but it can mess up your CV, and make finding another job more difficult , so there may be better ways of dealing with these problems.
In order to know whether things can get better, try giving the school a friendly ultimatum : 'I will have to consider my position if you don't solve the rent/flat and passport problems within 2 weeks ' or whatever . And then prepare to get out if things don't change.
You don't mention your working conditions , nor why the other teachers have quit , but if the school is treating you badly at work , then that for me would be a very good reason to quit immediately . There is nothing brave about putting up with intolerable conditions.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consciuosly or not, crappy employers rely on our sense of decency to make it easier for them to exploit us.

There is no need for us to feel a sense of duty to our work, or to feel a sense of loyalty to our employer, if they treat us like crap.

The kings and queens of Europe learned that several hundred years ago.

Get your passport and get out!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to clarify: what issues getting your passport back? You are based in Russia, aren't you? There shouldn't be any issues at all. In nearly a decade I have never heard of this, except where the school was playing silly buggers. How long as it been since they submitted your documents tonthe local authorities? Include in your friendly ultimatum that you'll be contacting your embassy to report the situation to officials there.

As with most posters here, I think you need only think of yourself, and make sure you can extricate yourself relatively easily. If what you say about your school is so, then they are not being fair with you, and you owe them nothing.

That's how I knew it was time to quit - listing all the broken promises and agreements, and then counting up my mounting losses. Nothing wrong in cutting those and pulling out
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave them an ultimatum. Either I get my passport back next week, or I walk. And if I don't have a roommate by Nov 25, I also walk. If I can't afford to live in Moscow, then I can't continue to work for them. Simple math. Considering that there are only two native teachers at the school, including myself (to put it in perspective - we were struggling with three and looked eagerly to the day they would hire a fourth), they really need me. And I also feel extra guilty about leaving because the one remaining native teacher does not deserve that. Looking around for new jobs, but going back to Canada is also possible depending on how things turn out. Thanks for your advice and encouragement, everyone.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you. Please keep us informed of events.

However, do not feel any guilt, even for the other teachers. Nothing you can do there, as none of this is your creation. Look after yourself, because no one else will.

How is the job search going? Smaller schools? Other chains?
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put my foot down and will get my passport back after the holiday weekend, and they also helped me find a new roommate. I guess if you threaten to quit and they're desperately understaffed, you get things. Have an informal meeting with another teacher from a different school. We'll see how it works out. Right now, I'm debating between staying put, switching schools, or taking a roundabout, Europe-based trip back to Canada. We'll see. I'm in Russia at least until Christmas. Thanks for the advice, all.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear that you have achieved a positive outcome . Good luck for the future.
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, teenoso. I'm almost definitely sure I'll leave at Christmas and travel Europe before reaching home again, but it would be screwing the company over - they're ridiculously understaffed because no one wants to come work for them. They've gotten a reputation. I do feel bad. The trouble is, I'm sick all the time, have lost so much weight I can't wear my clothes (even rings!), and am so anxious I rarely sleep. This job and I are not suited. But still I feel this duty to stick it out. If I give plenty of notice it should be okay, right?
suncastle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russianwinter

I wouldn't wait much longer before quitting if I were you. When going to work starts feeling like you are going to war, it's a huge sign that this is not right for you. I understand your sense of commitment; however, this whole ordeal has affected you both physically and psychologically, and there is no sign it is going to get better. Your mental and physical health should come first...always, otherwise you will not be in great shape to do your work. Don't let this snowball grow any bigger, you have a lot more to lose than the school and the students. Do you have friends over there that can help you out?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sense of duty, though commendable, is really not appropriate here.

The school is understaffed? Not your problem.
They have a reputation now? Not your problem.
The other teacher will be alone? Not your problem.
The students won't have a teacher? Not your problem.

Your problems:
You do not have your passport.
You do not have a flatmate to share rent.
Your school wants you to sort this out.
Your school has already messed you around with false promises.
Your school is playing silly buggers with your visa.
Your school will almost certainly tell more fibs shortly.
Your school will claim you are 'breaking contract' when you give notice.
Your physical health is failing.
Your mental health may be affected too.

Seems pretty clear to me what way this cookie should crumble. This is an EF position, isn't it? Not going to get better any time soon. Which is likely to be true of you too if you insist on showing a level of loyalty and dedication that won't be understood, let alone appreciated by your incompetent school.

Get out now, for YOUR own sake.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

they're ridiculously understaffed because no one wants to come work for them. They've gotten a reputation. I do feel bad. The trouble is, I'm sick all the time,

In the midst of writing a post, I see that Sasha has beaten me to it, and posted exactly what I was about to. So. . .Ditto all of the above. The school has created its own problems, for which you are not responsible. Sick, anxious, losing weight, not sleeping: get out of there. No guilt required. Time to look out for yourself. Leave. Now.

Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is without doubt the best advice you could take, as soon as is humanely possible, forget about giving notice, don't even tell them you are leaving, don't give them ANYTHÄ°NG, just go home pack your stuff and passport and LEAVE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: