Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life in Hong Kong for a TEFLer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Life in Hong Kong for a TEFLer Reply with quote

....who doesn't have the right to teach in his home country.

I mean a TEFLer with a degree in an unrelated discipline.

Here on the mainland I have my own decent sized apartment all to myself and it costs between a fifth a quarter of my salary.

Demand here seems to pretty strong too. Lots of agents advertising jobs.

I've also been on the mainland long enough to pick up Mandarin. Is this basically useless with Cantonese being spoken so widespreadly?

Can your average TEFLer in China make a successful transition to HK?
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Life in Hong Kong for a TEFLer Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Here on the mainland I have my own decent sized apartment all to myself and it costs between a fifth a quarter of my salary.

I've also been on the mainland long enough to pick up Mandarin. Is this basically useless with Cantonese being spoken so widespreadly?

Last Q first - yes it's possible to make the transition, but TEFL jobs in HK pay little more than subsistence level, unless you get lucky.

A "decent sized" apartment in HK would devour at least half of the average TEFLer salary, perhaps more, depending on what you call decent sized.

Mandarin is of limited use here, but might be useful now and again, especially if you want to hang out with Mainlanders (HKers avoid them like the plague). I've been in HK 14 years and (sadly!) still hardly speak a word of Cantonese. In other words, you can get by with English most of the time.
sistercream

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla has just about covered it.

Without QTS or even CELTA, you'll be restricted to working in language centres or private kindergartens. You'd have no problem getting a job, but you'll be stuck at the bottom of the pond unless/ until you upgrade your qualifications.

But if your heart and will are set on trying Hong Kong, there's no reason why not. Just don't expect it to be anything like mainland; there are some superficial similarities (specially if you've been working in Guangdong), but that's it. And for the sake of your own sanity, make sure you do due diligence on any prospective employer.
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Life in Hong Kong for a TEFLer Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been in Hong Kong for nearly two years now. When I arrived I had a few years TEFL experience and a CELTA.

When I first arrived I had no problems finding a job in a language center. It wasn't the best job in the world and the money wasn't great but it was a start.

I kept looking for other jobs and was accepted onto the EDB NET Primary scheme. In the end I decided to take a job at a Primary school (not through the NET scheme) and I love my job.

I think Hong Kong has so many opportunities if you work hard. Many friends who arrived at the same time as me, started at language centers and now work at reputable schools. Once you have a job at a school you could think about completing a PGDE course in the evenings to become qualified to teach in HK.

creeper1 wrote:
....who doesn't have the right to teach in his home country.

I mean a TEFLer with a degree in an unrelated discipline.

Demand here seems to pretty strong too. Lots of agents advertising jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: