Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Questions....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: A Few Questions.... Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not going anywhere for a while but I am checking out my options. Spain would be an amazing place to go and teach, but I am not sure how to go about it. I am a Canadian Citizen so what type of Visa would I need? Or can you only be a European national to teach? My Step-father was born in England so my step-sister was able to get a british passport, but I don't know if I will qualify due to not being his biological daughter. On tefl.com alot of the adds state that European nationals are preferred, but does that mean they will only accept those who are european? Or is there still a chance that I could get hired? Also, what is the average wage that you can get by on in Spain? I know in the larger cities it will be different than the smaller ones but I am just curious if anyone knows the absolute minimum wage to accept. Anything anyone can tell me about living and working in Spain would be great! Thanks.

Tara
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Tara,

Can't help much with the "What's it like in Spain?" questions, since I'm not there either, but I do have a bit of visa info, from a fellow Commonwealth citizen (me..)

My parents are both English, but I was born in Australia. This makes me eligible for British citizenship. When I completed the forms (for the first time about 12 years ago) there was a specification that your parents had to be married when you were born (because England already has enough b'astards??? Very Happy ), but I have heard that lately in the interests of being modern this specification has been lifted. So, if that's true, if your step-father has actually legally adopted you, you should be fine, using his heritage to get you by. If it hasn't been lifted, then you're out of luck using him as your 'relative'.

What about your grandparents? If they are from the UK, you'd be able to get a thing called 'right of abode' which might then enable you to work in the EU.

I'd either call your nearest British High Commission, or do a Google on them. I'm sure they have info sheets on the internet somewhere.

Good luck!
Lozwich.
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. No, my step-dad has not adopted me and since I am going to be 23 years old this year I think it's just a little pointless at this stage Confused ......Neither set of my biological grandparents are from Europe at all, maybe if we get into great grandparents, but I don't think they will go back that far. I guess I am S.O.L.
anthyp

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "S.O.L." mean? You don't need an EU passport to work in Spain, but it helps. Most of the people I know working there are American, for instance (about 4 or 5 of them), and technically they aren't working legally but nobody seems to mind. They're all in Madrid. I'll leave the "What's it like in Spain?" query to someone who's actually there ... probably Mouse, because nobody else currently working in Spain seems to post in this forum!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...it means S**T Out of Luck....., just a common phrase my friends and I used to say when we were growing up.

So as a Canadian Citizen I could work "illegally" and wouldn't be bothered or even deported? Shocked I guess that might work. Although of course it would be alot more comforting to work legally.....
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Few Questions.... Reply with quote

tara_lee_anne wrote:
Hi,

I am not going anywhere for a while but I am checking out my options. Spain would be an amazing place to go and teach, but I am not sure how to go about it. I am a Canadian Citizen so what type of Visa would I need? Or can you only be a European national to teach? My Step-father was born in England so my step-sister was able to get a british passport, but I don't know if I will qualify due to not being his biological daughter. On tefl.com alot of the adds state that European nationals are preferred, but does that mean they will only accept those who are european? Or is there still a chance that I could get hired? Also, what is the average wage that you can get by on in Spain? I know in the larger cities it will be different than the smaller ones but I am just curious if anyone knows the absolute minimum wage to accept. Anything anyone can tell me about living and working in Spain would be great! Thanks.

Tara

Hi Tara,

It depends on what you're looking for - Spain is an amazing place to live, but you can make more money elsewhere and the working conditions are better in other countries. There's still a demand for English teachers, but the past few years many schools have closed down.

That being said, you should have no problem finding work in Madrid. it's a bit tougher to do that in Barcelona, but there's work to be found there as well. You can make anywhere from 10 to 15 Euros per hour, but keep in mind you won't teach 40 hours a week, but rather, somewhere around 25 (if you have a full schedule, that is).

It is true that they prefer EU nationals. It doesn't mean it's impossible to find a job, just that it's very difficult to get a company to sponsor your visa when they can immediately hire loads of qualified teachers from the EU.

It is also true that many American/Canadian teachers work in Spain without papers. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's possible to do so, and you can make enough money to survive, but you'll find that the better opportunities remain for EU nationals.

Regarding your visa situation, as far as I know, he would have to be your biological father. But it never hurts to contact the Spanish embassy.
anthyp

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara_lee_anne wrote:
lol...it means S**T Out of Luck....., just a common phrase my friends and I used to say when we were growing up.

So as a Canadian Citizen I could work "illegally" and wouldn't be bothered or even deported? Shocked I guess that might work. Although of course it would be alot more comforting to work legally.....

Cripes, I feel so old sometimes. It's certainly a comforting feeling to work legally in a country, yes, which is partly why I decided not to pursue work in Spain. If you're non - EU you have to work hard to find the jobs in Spain, but nobody will bother you once you do. You won't be deported or anything like that ... nobody is going to come around asking for papers. Your employer may eventually help you get legal if you stay with them long enough and they like you, or so I hear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too... hot... to... move... (we need to get air-conditioning in this place -- the windows turn sunlight to laser)

Quote:
I'll leave the "What's it like in Spain?" query to someone who's actually there ... probably Mouse, because nobody else currently working in Spain seems to post in this forum!

I don't know what the correct response to that is, but I choose... slight nervousness and a vague feeling that I should be more productive with my time... Confused

Having said that, I would be very happy to answer any questions or provide an extremely subjective opinion on Spain. Howver, I don't know about anybody else on here, but this...

Quote:
Anything anyone can tell me about living and working in Spain would be great!

... is just a teeny bit vague for me.
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i'll have to break it down a bit then.

- Is it easy to get around?
- Are the people friendly? Or is one certain area more open to foreigners than another area is?
- What would you say is the best area of Spain for wages and living conditions?
- does an average salary minus all of your living expenses give you any extra to be able to travel around a bit?

Any concensus on this would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to add any other info you feel would be good to know.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Ask a stoopid question... Reply with quote

Is it easy to get around? No, it's awful. There are no planes, trains, buses or cars. It's walk or jump on a donkey.
Are the people friendly? No, they still burn heretics, Jews and Muslims at the stake. That's after torturing them, of course.
Alternatively, try the Lonely Planet website for non-sarcastic information.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamb

You are being cruel and quite unreasonable in expecting people to read other websites. EVERYTHING we need to know should be answered by the simple posting of a question here.
anthyp

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason to behave like jerks, folks. This is a discussion forum, and the lady asked a simple question - you don't have to help her if you feel you are too "busy" or just can't be bothered.

I'll try to answer some of these questions, tara, but keep in mind, I only lived in Spain for one month (though I keep in contact with friends who still live and work there). So here goes:

tara_lee_anne wrote:
Is it easy to get around?

Yes, I found the subway (metro), at least in Barcelona, fairly clean, efficient, and fast.

Quote:
- Are the people friendly? Or is one certain area more open to foreigners than another area is?

Um, I wasn't there long enough to be able to really say. I think Spaniards are friendly enough. But I'm Latino and speak some Spanish, so maybe it was easier for me to fit in. Supposedly it's easy to meet people in Spain, but not make real friends.

Quote:

Oh, I only lived in Barcelona so I don't really know. There aren't really jobs there. I know people working in Madrid and that is where all of the jobs are.

Quote:
- does an average salary minus all of your living expenses give you any extra to be able to travel around a bit?

The short answer to this seems to be NO. You should make around 800 - 1000 Euros a month, and after all your living expenses this won't leave you with anything else. You don't go to Spain to save or travel, from what I hear. I hope this was helpful. Mouse?
Mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mouse?

Squeak? I've just been reading Terry Pratchett and the whole 'death of rats' attitude (being able to answer any question with 'squeak' really appeals).

I agree with you, Anthyp, at least insofar as neither Scot nor Graham needed to take that attitude (regardless of how delightful sarcasm may or may not be).

Quote:

Without trying to be pedantic, are you talking about in the cities or between the cities? Both probably. I'd have to say that generally, the public transport is good: the trains are cheap and punctual (if you come from where I come from, anyway) and there are buses to major destinations. If you want to see more out of the way places, find yourself a car, a bike or a friend. Very Happy

Quote:

Yes, I'd say that people here are reasonably friendly. Some of them are pig ignorant, of course, but I'd say my experience is generally positive... The south is supposedly more open and friendly, but I couldn't say. As Anthyp says, whether they'll make you their best friends and drag you to all the bars really depends, but I shouldn't think they'll burn you at the stake.

Quote:

I'd say Madrid. Having said that, I live and work in Catalonia, outside Barcelona, and my set-up isn't bad at all. And I've heard that people have had lovely experiences in the Basque Country.

Quote:
- Does an average salary minus all of your living expenses give you any extra to be able to travel around a bit?

Here is where your particular standard of life will make all the difference. As I live a nigh-on monastic existence, denying myself all pleasures of the flesh, I'd say yes. But then, it's been hinted (on this board) that my style of life must be subsidized by a rich family. But then again, some people here are pig ignorant, too... Wink If you are willing to tighten your belt and budget, and not go mad on drink or whatever your particular vice is, I'd say that you should be able to see a good part of the country.

I hope that helps.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara_lee_anne wrote:
I guess i'll have to break it down a bit then.

Any concensus on this would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to add any other info you feel would be good to know.

Hi Tara,

To answer your questions:

1. yes it is very easy to get around, the buses and metro are great, especially in Madrid which has one of the best systems of public transportation in the world....the metro is fantastic and takes you anywhere, even all the way to the airport. Barcelona metro is great as well. Compared with the UK, USA, and other English speaking countries the transportation here is wonderful.

2. I dont like to generalise but I have found Spaniards to be friendly, and they love going out as well. But, like in every country, you're going to find friendly and unfriendly people. If you make a genuine attempt to speak Spanish and respect their customs they'll treat you well.

3. The best area for wages is Madrid, without a doubt. Most jobs are in Madrid as well. But as Mouse has pointed out it is possible to find work in Barca!

4. An average salary won't give you enough to travel constantly, but if you are frugal and keep your expenses low you'll have money to have a good time, believe me.

If I were you I'd go to Madrid first....once you are settled in you can check out other areas of Spain.

Barcelona is much prettier and "european" than Madrid....but Madrid has more job opportunities. If I just wanted to "live" I'd choose Barcelona, but if I wanted to work I'd choose Madrid.

Like Italy, forget about the south....I don't need to list the reasons why Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Sarcasm Reply with quote

I don't normally indulge myself thus, but the answers to those questions could just as easily have been found in the Job Information Journal, for example. However, Sendrigo obligingly gave the lady what she wanted.
Next question please.
"Can anyone tell me the meaning of life?"
Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: