Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not India?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Why ? Reply with quote

The easiest explanation that comes to mind is that I am a misanthrope. I pearticularly dislike those under the age of 40. Real loathing is however saved up for the Ken and Barbie know-nothings who backpack around the world masquerading as teachers.
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does being bitter make one a better teacher? At least Ken and Barbie are happy.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Bliss Reply with quote

Dear azarashi sushi
" At least Ken and Barbie are happy. "
And perhaps you're right - for after all, didn't Pope write that " ignorance is bliss "?
Regards,
John
Esterita

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking for a job in India, with not much success.

Had a look at VSO, but there was nothing for India... it was mostly for China and Korea and such.

Is there a job board somewhere for specifically Indian jobs?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: india Reply with quote

You could try one of the International schools like WOODSTOCK. There is a website for that one. You will need to be a certificated teacher.

Woodstock was originally set up in the late 19th century for the children opf Protestant (Presbyterian ?) missionaries in India. It has evolved into an international boarding school.
Ann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most people have mentioned, English is the official language of India. Hindi is the native language although its not spoken or acknowledged as such in the South.
Most teachers are well-educated and speak English fluently. So there is no need to import teachers.
You may be able to go there as a visiting lecturer (university) or try your luck with an organization.
I don't think Woodstock hires teachers without teacher certifications (from the US as its an American school).
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: woodstock Reply with quote

On their offcial website Woodstock School mention the possibilkity of volunteer openings. For certificated teacher there are better opportunities. I would draw the obvious conclusion and say that it is better to get certification !!!
Esterita

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the url for the Woodstock website, please?

I've got CELTA - do you think that would be enough?

I'm not a Christian - do you think that teachers there are expected to pursue Christian beliefs?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Woodstock School Reply with quote

Go to a search engine. Input "Woodstock School" and read the results. I think you do not need to be a Christian. For teaching jobs they probably want a degree and teacher certification. Maybe you can be a teaching assistant or something.
Esterita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a look and it turned out that Woodstock, like many other boarding schools in India, seems to accept only teachers who are devoted Christians. No work for me in that sector it seems...
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: The Ken and Barbie Syndrome Reply with quote

I got a chuckle out of Scot's comment about the Ken and Barbie types.I agree.Unfortunately,like a lot of other regrettable things in this profession,they are here for keeps,more or less.At least ,Scot is in an area of the world(I believe) where he does not run across too many of these types.In some areas of the world,especially some countries in Asia,these types are almost de rigeur,especially at a lot of the private "schools".

And how does Sushi know Ken and Barbie "are happy"? After all,those frozen smiles are painted on... Rolling Eyes

As for teaching in India,well,as numerous posters pointed out,there are just not many(if any) TESOL jobs there,at least not ones that you would want.
I would say give it up and look somewhere else.If you really want to go to India,take a vacation or figure out some way besides TESOL to work there.I wanted to teach in Iceland at one time,too...but I had to give that one up,too. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: acceptance Reply with quote

It seems difficult to accept that there are NO JOBS for EFL teachers in large parts of the world. But that is it. You just have to accept it. Why not work somewhere where you can earn a decent salary and then visit India
zakiah25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: I've just read about this job in India ...... Reply with quote

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=9470
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a job! One month summer camp unpaid (though airfare is reimbursed) with villagers in the Himalayas.

The goals of the course are marvellous

"- break the fear of English among Himalayan villagers, so as to help them in their professional lives
to motivate the students to value the language by providing a glimpse of the world that would open up with increased proficiency in English;
- introduce the ideals of liberty and freedom through English language teaching which would enable the students to take advantage of a globalised world."

Learning the English for what comes out of a bullock's backside really must give you a competitive edge in a global society.

Anybody want to bet that their has been some cash earmarked for this lunatic project, and it's got to go through or nobody sees the backhanders?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Bullocks' Backside Reply with quote

There is much of this stuff today in the world of TESOL as in anything else. It IS nonsense. It also has a whiff of Langley, Virginia about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: