Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IFA Education- International School in Guangzhou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiganesi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: IFA Education- International School in Guangzhou Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I got approached by a representative of this school for a non-esl job which I am qualified for. The salary they are offering is Crazy high (15500RMB/Month, Apartment, return flights Z-Visa) For an mere 12 initial hours of teaching a week.

http://www.ifaedu.com/

Does anyone know of this company? The salary is considerably higher than anything I've seen elsewhere and the hours significantly lower. Alarm bells are ringing that it's too good to be true.

I can't find anything about the company online. I did a whois check on the company URL and it has only been registered since 2010. Obviously this doesn't mean the company is so new, but if there's been a scam from this URL since 2013 surely someone would have reported it online by now?
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By qualified do you mean you have a PGCE and two years qualified teaching experience (presuming you're from the UK). Usual requirement for true international schools.

A quick look at the website and it looks like the usual Chinese trick of calling themselves international when in fact they just have an international section consisting of a few foreign students.

Proper international schools have to be accredited and assessed by the relevant countries curriculum they teach.

It's a bit like every other phone shop in China calling itself an authorized Apple dealership because they have a few I phones in the window. Very Happy
Wiganesi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a PGCE but I have a masters and experience tutoring and good references. I've not had the interview yet, but the job seems a little too good to be true. I'll have to wait and see the contract I suppose!
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have only clicked on this thread for the words "Guangzhou" and "international". There seem to be quite a few schools with "international" in this city and I don't doubt it's pretty much the same around the country. I bet locals put the fine word in their brand name for, to them, the right reasons.

damn_my_eyes wrote:
Proper international schools have to be accredited and assessed by the relevant countries curriculum they teach.

It's a bit like every other phone shop in China calling itself an authorized Apple dealership because they have a few I phones in the window. Very Happy
However interesting debates on the process of granting this status, academic program or the nature of how lucrative it is to enroll foreign students into western higher education may be, we will probably never find out enough for all the confidentiality clauses in varieties of contractual agreements signed. What is fairly obvious is that it has been a “win-win” situation for almost all so far. In education, the only fall guys may be the ones in the production line such as teachers, professors, academic directors etc. Although they’ll always have to deal with substandard conditions and shortcomings in either the system or syllabus, they’ll never see the amounts of profits varieties of institutions harvest.

A lot of high technology has been counterfeited around the world and great amounts of wealth have been generated that way. The question is whether it is possible to copy curriculums, their managements and facilitation and expect the same results. Another question is whether the ones who accredit the substandard will get away.

OP, the money, given the nature of the job, is not so high at all. I guess it may depend on the conditions of your job whether you should accept the post or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: