Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long does it take from application to starting a job?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: How long does it take from application to starting a job? Reply with quote

I am in the USA and have a few weeks of work left wrapping things up. Maybe 4-5 at most I would think. Wondering when I should start applying for jobs. I am more interested in University jobs but interested in pretty much any job that has relatively low hours. Just thinking if you have to get a medical exam and all that it could take a month to get a visa and so on...a recent post had mentioned a school had strung him along for 11 weeks. If it really does take 6+ weeks then I figure I might as well start applying now.

Any input would be appreciated. Thinking of maybe waiting and trying for February jobs at universities if it really does take quite a while to apply and do the visa stuff.
JoeThePlumber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does really take 6 weeks or so to get everything ready to go. Starting now is a good idea.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Feb start jobs are NOT the peak hiring season, you should regard the getting of the job as the issue, not the visa stuff.
By the end of this month 12 of the 18 week first semester will have gone.
Add to that the school FAOs will want a holiday too, I think the answer is pretty evident.
'You can't sell Christmas Cards on Boxing Day'.
You can only extend the hiring season at one end - this end.
Get going!
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, seemed like from all the lamentations about the lack of skill of English teachers that it might be quite a quick process, perhaps just consisting of them looking at a photo...

I will get started then. Thanks for advice.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Not sure that skill, or lack thereof, has a lot to do with it.
Kysorb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least where I work, we have begun the hiring and interview process for our Feb. starts. With the new rules about getting CBC's mailed to china for new teachers we have started about 3 weeks earlier than normal to adapt.

In my experience training schools have 2 intakes. There is one in Feb. and one in Aug. and at least at my school we hire about the same number during each intake.

Universities generally try try to hire everyone it seems in August, which makes sense as far as university years go. I personally would be a bit cautious of university jobs in February as it probably means for some reason good or bad the teacher they hired in Aug. has gone.

Since the universities don't hire as much in February there are about half the jobs there usually are in August and most of these jobs are with young children.

Good Luck
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: How long does it take from application to starting a job Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
Thinking of maybe waiting and trying for February jobs at universities if it really does take quite a while to apply and do the visa stuff.

in that case, you've "maybe waited" too long already.

spring semester begins mid-february.
schools are closed, not much gets done during spring festival break.
fall semester ends around january 12th.

fao will need about a month to get all the paperwork processed once
you've got everything submitted. i suppose if you can find a school
and get accepted within the next ten days, you might manage it.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for a February start at a uni, start applying now. The sooner the quicker.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus, side a 2-semester contract could get you paid for the summer holiday. Check it out OP when you get into conversation with a prospective employer.
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm searching for a job as well. I have been speaking with a few schools that are hiring now for a late February start.
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess I better really get on it then. I had seen several university jobs with February starts just posted a few days ago so figured there was still plenty of time. Or maybe a bit of over-confidence thinking surely it will be easy to get a job.

I've been self-employed or a student basically my whole life so it's been something like 5-6 years since I even though of applying for a job...
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
Or maybe a bit of over-confidence thinking surely it will be easy to get a job.

You will be able to easily find a job, I am sure, so no worries. Smile I was looking in late September for a mid-term start and had a number of offers, but nothing that was really too attractive to me. It is good to have options, and to be able to wait until you find the job you want, in my opinion.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haleynicole14 wrote:
jm21 wrote:

You will be able to easily find a job, I am sure, so no worries. Smile I was looking in late September for a mid-term start and had a number of offers, but nothing that was really too attractive to me. It is good to have options, and to be able to wait until you find the job you want, in my opinion.

The OP is ready to roll now and is looking at the Spring semester not Fall.
There is always a bit of a 'tail' of unfilled vacancies after the Sept start date. these are tidied up or scrubbed as the admin decides.
IMO the ratio of public sector Spring vacancies to Fall vacancies would be 1:3 or 4.
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
haleynicole14 wrote:
jm21 wrote:

The OP is ready to roll now and is looking at the Spring semester not Fall.
There is always a bit of a 'tail' of unfilled vacancies after the Sept start date. these are tidied up or scrubbed as the admin decides.
IMO the ratio of public sector Spring vacancies to Fall vacancies would be 1:3 or 4.

But are there the same number of people looking for work? I would think that there would be far more experienced teachers looking for jobs starting in the fall? So maybe less vacancies but less competition? Just spit-balling here...got all my stuff scanned in this morning and sending off resumes...
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify...I'm not solely interested in University jobs...mainly interested in having few hours of work. I have an internet business I'm working on and want to devote about half my work week to that. University jobs seemed the best way. I've taught at pre-schools and kindergartens before and don't mind it. The only group of students I ever really disliked teaching was at-risk middle school girls. Scary.

I did about six months of substitute assistant teaching after I graduated from college....court school, special needs, that sort of thing...the middle school girls were the only ones that I would never want to teach full time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: