Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Process for Oman?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Visa Process for Oman? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been applying for positions in Oman. I would like to know, what is the actual visa process for Oman? Do I need a work visa before I arrive, or do I go on a tourist visa/single visa first?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am from Australia, if this is any help, or makes any difference.

Tobes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply, get an offer, and then your new employer will take care of this. One used to be able to come in on a tourist visa (say if one already had one in their passport) and the employer would turn it into the proper visa/labor card/iqama. But it has been reported lately that they are requiring that employers supply the usual entry visa for new employees that is turned into the work visa.

Either way, it isn't your responsibility, but your employer's.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is right, it's changed recently. The employer (sponsor) gets the visa issued and emails a copy of it to you, you then use the copy at the airport of departure. The employer arranges for you to be met on arrival and taken to immigration where the real one is stamped into your passport.
Tobes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help. I just want to make sure of the process before I make a decision on accepting a job or not.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
VS is right, it's changed recently. The employer (sponsor) gets the visa issued and emails a copy of it to you, you then use the copy at the airport of departure. The employer arranges for you to be met on arrival and taken to immigration where the real one is stamped into your passport.

This has actually been the process since the 80's. There was just a window in the late 90's when - depending on the employer's wasta - you could get in on a tourist visa.

This works very smoothly with employers like SQU, but not sure about the recruiters. Cool

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

This has actually been the process since the 80's. There was just a window in the late 90's when - depending on the employer's wasta - you could get in on a tourist visa.

This works very smoothly with employers like SQU, but not sure about the recruiters. Cool

VS

Seems to have worked ok this semester with MOHE and Hawthorn staff at least.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concern for me would be whether their man would be at the airport when you arrive... since it is usually in the middle of the night.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The concern for me would be whether their man would be at the airport when you arrive... since it is usually in the middle of the night.

VS

I can understand why you would think that but I've worked for both Hawthorn and the MOHE and both times they were there, not heard of any no-shows by the PRO's from other teachers but I'm sure it must happen.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are only 2 of many contractors.

VS
murphya33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Visa Process for Oman? Reply with quote

VS

I don't know why somebody would resort to fear mongering like this. Maybe somebody wasn't there for them in the past and so they've decided to take it out on recruiters. I've never had a problem with someone picking me up at the airport and dozens of people have told me that it was like clockwork. Apart from being a totally untrue statement, it is also poisonous. For example, if someone has read this comment and is flying to Muscat. They will start to get worried and anxious and to some extent suffer because they will think there will be no one to meet them. However, in Muscat, there is someone holding a placard with their name on it. No worries. How was their flight? Well, it would have been alot better if someone hadn't planted a seed of doubt in their mind. ok so maybe the odd car breaks down once in a while 99% of recruiters are trustworthy and do what they say they will do or at least do their utmost best. I think people like this (VS) should think carefully about what they write on this forum and not just post off callous off hand remarks on a whim without a shred of evidence. It can have negative effects.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice that you were always met. So was I, but then I never worked for a recruiter, I was always direct hire.

Sadly, not all recruiters are equal. New ones show up every year... some disappear every year because of their incompetence. And yes... there have been teachers who were not met at the airport by their recruiter.

Your unquestioning support of ALL recruiters is a bit suspect... and extremely rare. Unwavering trust of the infallibility of recruiters is significantly more dangerous to unwary newbies to the Gulf than making sure that they have more realistic expectations. From your past posts, you seem to be rather new to this part of the world... just the past 2 years applying to Qatar, Kuwait, and Oman according to your previous questions.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recruited through an agency and meet at the airport by a PRO (Public Relations Officer) with a big placard in hand that had my name on it.

However, two days prior to my anticipated starting date I still had not received an airplane ticket. So, I looked up a suitable flight and emailed the suggested itinerary, following up with a phone call to the recruiter.

My arrival time would have been 17:20 (5:20 PM) and the recruiter replied that this time is unsuitable as nobody would be in the office. I was forced to fly out in the middle of the night to arrive around lunch time.

The airplane ticket was received just before jumping into the taxi (to the airport) in my mobilization country. Basically, the day before flying out to Oman (taking into account the time difference between countries). Talk about cutting it finely!

After being picked up by the PRO, I was driven straight to the clinic for the medical check which included an x-ray, blood and urine sampling as well as some basic examination (eye, blood pressure).

By now, it was late afternoon and I have had neither a drink nor any food.

Then, it was off to the recruiter's office where I was bullied into signing a new - much less favorable - contract. There were also attempts to confiscate my passport, which I was able to resist despite being jet-lagged, tired, dehydrated and hungry.

Finally, I was dropped off at the hotel.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhausting, but certainly efficient.

AND... they were NOT trying to "confiscate" your passport. They need it in order to get your labor card from the Ministry and if they do not, you will soon be illegally in the country. EVERYONE has to give their employer their passport for this process. It can take from a week with more efficient employers, up to a couple months for the slower ones.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Exhausting, but certainly efficient.

AND... they were NOT trying to "confiscate" your passport. They need it in order to get your labor card from the Ministry and if they do not, you will soon be illegally in the country. EVERYONE has to give their employer their passport for this process. It can take from a week with more efficient employers, up to a couple months for the slower ones.

VS

Took me one day after arriving in Oman with the MOHE in August, didn't need to surrender my passport for even a nano-second, just went with the PRO to the hospital and then straight to the police where it was issued instantly. However my previous experience with a recruiter was that I had to surrender the passport and the whole process took six weeks.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days later:

After work (!), I went with the PRO_and_my_passport_ to the Immigration or Police station (not sure exactly what the place was). Got finger printed and a photos taken, left with the Resident's card_and_my_passport.

Took a couple of hours for the whole process due to long lines/ large crowds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: