Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Health Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reyrey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: ILA Health Insurance Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to tell me more details of the health insurance that ILA provides.

I've been sent the basic outline but want to know whether it includes repatriation in case of serious illness.

Also, would accident cover include motorbikes?
Gretschen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked there (last year) the cover was very basic. It only covered in-patient treatment, so unless your accident was very severe (and you were licensed and not drunk), and you had to stay in hospital over night, it wouldn't cover you. I had to go into hospital a couple of times for out-patient treatment, and it wasn't expensive at all. Family was by far the most expensive, as it's entirely foreign staffed, but the care was excellent. Other international hospitals that are staffed by Vietnamese are pretty cheap. I had some scans and x-rays and stuff done and I think it came out to about $50.

Not sure about repatriation costs, but I would doubt it. I think they may have introduced an option to pay extra and upgrade your insurance, but I never did that.
BenE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard ILA give the most basic of basic health insurances. It's worth about $10 a month and only covers major medical issues in Vietnam up to $50,000. If you get sick you won't be evacuated. Probably best to look at getting some coverage that allows you to get evacuated if something really bad happens. Remember this is the country where blood samples occasionally get 'mixed up' and where giving the doctor a 'gift' is important to ensure good treatment.
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for ILA but I think that the cover provided by many places is very basic. I know someone who got sick and while the hospital did a very good job with the operation that person's subsequent stay in hospital was very difficult as you're expected to have family around to feed you, take you to the toilet and everything. So, the immediate medical care may be very good but the pastoral care is limited if you need to stay in hospital. I've also heard that the basic insurance won't fund some of the better treatments available at international hospitals. I don't believe it includes medical repatriation either.

If you want quality care and peace of mind then you are looking at private medical insurance. Many of us rarely get sick but given the way that people ride their motorbikes here I would say decent insurance is almost essential.
xees

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the motorbike insurance, I believe that ILA's policy is that they will only supply insurance for motorbike related accidents if you have a valid Vietnamese driving license (and weren't drunk...that sounds pretty crazy that I have to say that but that's when most accidents happen).

If you ask your manager they can give you a list of places that you can go and be covered by their health insurance beyond that...it's pretty basic cover. Nothing special. If you're worried about your health get private insurance.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xees wrote:
About the motorbike insurance, I believe that ILA's policy is that they will only supply insurance for motorbike related accidents if you have a valid Vietnamese driving license (and weren't drunk...that sounds pretty crazy that I have to say that but that's when most accidents happen).

That's all insurance policies. I've got very comprehensive insurance through my work at RMIT, but if I got injured while riding my bike without a license then they wouldn't cover me. That's actually the reason why I got my license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: