Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand on the ground running?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Thailand on the ground running? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have heard december is a bad time for job hunting in Thailand, but I could be there early not mid december, would that hurt my chances?

BA in English Literature, generic 4 week tefl course, NO Celta to speak of, but 7 years experience tefling in China and Oman....could this be enough to get my foot in the door on the ground so to speak?

Would appreciate any and all feedback?

Cheers
A
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Yes that would be fine..just come to Thailand and expect a lot of offers from Thai government schools. Good luck!
surendra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one apply for public schools while "on the ground running"? Is it simply going to each school? I'd imagine that would be awkward, so do recruiting agencies have offices in the likes of BKK?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: interesting Reply with quote

@surendra:

This is what I want to know. How does one find a nice cushy government job with provided flat. Burnt out on China and am looking for a change!
surendra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am not in Thailand yet, I've heard any jobs outside of International Schools rarely come with accommodation built into the contract.

To answer my question, I read somewhere that recruitment agencies tend to have an office somewhere (assuming in BKK or a big city) and they would just interview you there/collect docs.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

My advice is stay away from recruitment agencies and just apply directly with the schools where you wish to teach. Just remember there are a lot of government schools in the LOS. Smile
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: flats? Reply with quote

How much would rent be? that could easily eat into savings, couldnt it? Mad Evil or Very Mad
JosephP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
How much would rent be?

The answer to that is so wildly variable. So much depends on what a person wants, needs, his/her expectations, and of course location.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: well say bangkok Reply with quote

And is deposit or anything needed upfront?
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

If you are worried about the usual sorts of things that one normally expects when renting a flat ( eg, ploughing through a complicated lease document, as well as paying "key money" and a bond) you might want to consider staying on a long-term basis at a guest house or a 1 or 2 star hotel.I'm sure that many such places would reduce the normal daily room rate if you agree to stay for, say, 6 months or more.

However, if you want a job where accommodation is provided, you might want to consider applying for a job in Sth Korea. But, there is the possibility that you might have to share a flat with other teachers. Anyway, check out Dave's Korea fora for FTs comments re housing hassles in that country.

You might also want to consider applying for a uni job in China.In most cases, the package includes a rent-free flat.Where a flat is not provided ( as is the case with some unis in Shanghai and a few other places), you would probably be given a rent allowance.Check out my posts to the thread "University Positions - Easily Attainable or Not ?"

Peter
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: re: police clearance... Reply with quote

The problem is I would need police clearance from the UK for korea and taiwan and places, so I'd have to go back to get it.....thailand seems ok on this point,
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Yes you are correct you would have to go back to England to get your police clearance as you are not a resident of Thailand. Good luck!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: hmmmmm Reply with quote

So is UK police clearance needed to work in Thailand? I have been told it is not Mad

Confused, can anyone clarify on? Rolling Eyes
JoeKing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: interesting Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
@surendra:

This is what I want to know. How does one find a nice cushy government job with provided flat. Burnt out on China and am looking for a change!
Yes, I would like to know this as well. Also, I need my mornings free, and I don't like working past 3pm. The flat should have some shrubbery, nice looking, but not too expensive. Please get back to me on this.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

To be honest getting a cushy government job teaching English in Thailand isn't easy. Please note that even if you are lucky enough to get a teaching gig like this a flat most likely will not be provided. Teaching in Thailand is different than teaching English elsewhere in Asia where you are likely to receive good benefits. The benefits are few (if any) here and the monthly salary is usually in the Baht 25,000 something range. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: