Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Placement Process & Housing.... BE SPECIFIC!!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
netstar28



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Job Placement Process & Housing.... BE SPECIFIC!! Reply with quote

[b]*I have highlighted the questions I need answers to. I know there is a lot but please answer as many as you can! Thank you!*
[/b]
Hello All,

My name is Nes. I'm a 25 year old recent college graduate with a Bachelor's in Psychology and minor in Political Science. I also recently received a TESOL/ TESL/ TEFL certificate in September from Oxford Seminars. I am a native speaker from Colorado. Currently, I assist at a local, multi-level, adult ESL school 6 hours a week. I'm traveling by myself and this will be my first time living outside the US. I think at this point I'm trying to decide between Salvador, Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo.

I'm trying to get to Brazil ASAP as an ESL teacher, but I'm having trouble deciding if the leap is possible or just too risky. I have done the research. I get the tourist visa thing and that you have to travel to the country in order to secure a job.... Right. My beef is I need more current info!! If there is anyone out there that is in Brazil right now or has gone in the last 2 years, I'm talking to you! It seems that things have changed so much even in just the last few years that pre-2011 info is no longer as relevant (obviously that's arguable. If it's been a while and you still think you can help, please do!).

I'd really like to hear some detailed accounts of what people's process was like securing a job as an ESL teacher (again BE SPECIFIC!)?

I have a list of ESL schools through the job placement services from Oxford, but most of them only provide an address and phone number, no email. I of course try looking up the schools websites, but it almost never provides an email or anything about job ops. The email addresses I'm able to obtain normally have no connection to jobs. Nevertheless I send my credentials anyways, but I'm probably just emailing some random person at the front desk, who doesn't speak English and puts my resume in the trash. It's also impossible calling because no one speaks English at he front desk (yes, I'm learning Portuguese, but I don't know enough yet). I'm scared to venture away from my Oxford "approved" school list, because of the horror stories I have heard about scams. As I previously stated, I am aware that you have to go to the country to secure a job, but I just wanted to try and at least set up an appointment! [b] Is that just a totally ridiculous and unrealistic idea?![/b]

-I should probably ask a question now. [b]How did you find "trusted" ESL schools in Brazil? When you did find them, did you just randomly show up and apply? What was that like? It sounds like a nightmare, especially with the public transportation. Which brings us to the question of, how did you navigate yourself around the city? (<< this question may be irrelevant, since public transit is a headache anywhere, but if you could just include some tips that would be great) Did you just pick one city or apply in multiple cities? [/b]

-One director did email me back. This is quoted directly from the email; "With your qualifications (which are good), few schools like ours in Brazil will be able to hire you. To work as a teacher in Basic education in our country you need to have a university level degree in the subject you are going to teach." [b]Clearly he is saying I need a degree in English to get hired! Is that true? I tried emailing him back with no response thus far. I'm hoping maybe he is only talking about public schools....?
[/b]
My second biggest concern is the housing situation in Brazil. I have also heard some horror stories about this with regards to needing residential co-signers or extremely large deposits (neither of which I would be able to do). It seems the most realistic option with this is renting a room. I heard it's a good idea to look in the newspaper for rooms. I also worry this is going to be a nightmare with my basic level of understanding Portuguese.

-[b]So for this portion, if you could just describe in detail what your process was like in securing housing in Brazil... Thanks![/b]

[b]-Is Salvador de Bahia safe or too dangerous for someone like me? Can you describe the current job market in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo with the high competition and abundance of chain schools? [/b]

[b]-Last but not least. What do you wish you would have known before going to Brazil?[/b]

Thanks again to all those willing to help!


Best Regards,

~Nes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suncastle



Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Job Placement Process & Housing.... BE SPECIFIC!! Reply with quote

Hi Nes,

Although my experience isn't current, I hope I can give you some insight. As far as choosing the starting point I would suggest S. Paulo. I know it is the "least' desirable of the three, as in "it's not right on the ocean", but the market here is big, especially if you target "business English".

Quote:
I'm trying to get to Brazil ASAP as an ESL teacher, but I'm having trouble deciding if the leap is possible or just too risky. I have done the research. I get the tourist visa thing and that you have to travel to the country in order to secure a job.... Right. My beef is I need more current info!! If there is anyone out there that is in Brazil right now or has gone in the last 2 years, I'm talking to you! It seems that things have changed so much even in just the last few years that pre-2011 info is no longer as relevant (obviously that's arguable. If it's been a while and you still think you can help, please do!).


Quote:
I'd really like to hear some detailed accounts of what people's process was like securing a job as an ESL teacher (again BE SPECIFIC!)?

I have a list of ESL schools through the job placement services from Oxford, but most of them only provide an address and phone number, no email. I of course try looking up the schools websites, but it almost never provides an email or anything about job ops. The email addresses I'm able to obtain normally have no connection to jobs. Nevertheless I send my credentials anyways, but I'm probably just emailing some random person at the front desk, who doesn't speak English and puts my resume in the trash. It's also impossible calling because no one speaks English at he front desk (yes, I'm learning Portuguese, but I don't know enough yet). I'm scared to venture away from my Oxford "approved" school list, because of the horror stories I have heard about scams. As I previously stated, I am aware that you have to go to the country to secure a job, but I just wanted to try and at least set up an appointment! Is that just a totally ridiculous and unrealistic idea?!

-I should probably ask a question now. How did you find "trusted" ESL schools in Brazil?


In S. Paulo, among the most famous and somewhat prestigious, you will find Alumni, Cellep, Cultura Inglesa, and maybe Seven Idiomas. There are many, many others also Berlitz, CCAA, and other chains that usually have their own method. The only issue is that I'm not sure they will be willing to hire you on a tourist visa. They are going to spend time and money in your training, but if you are not sure to stick around for more than 3 or 6 months, why would they bother?
In Rio, Braza's is also very famous; I don't know anything about Salvador. You may have better luck with the less "famous" language schools. They would normally be glad to have a native speaker teacher; the salary may not be great, but it could be your stepping stone.

Quote:
When you did find them, did you just randomly show up and apply? What was that like?


In many cases you just drop your CV at the reception desk, and usually it finds its way to the HR dept. I believe that emails work too; but as you noticed, not a whole lot of Brazilian websites will post job openings on the web. Some of them have a "be part of our team" section where you can upload your CV. Little info is found on salary and benefits.

Quote:
It sounds like a nightmare, especially with the public transportation. Which brings us to the question of, how did you navigate yourself around the city? (<< this question may be irrelevant, since public transit is a headache anywhere, but if you could just include some tips that would be great)

I can only speak for S.Paulo, but I believe public transportation is a nightmare anywhere in Brazil. Of course, being close to a metro station is ideal, however that will reflect on rental prices. You may live close to a metro station, but the school you work for may be far from one; that means you will have to take the bus (in addition to subway) and do some walking.

Quote:
Did you just pick one city or apply in multiple cities?

I believe that in most cases, not only in Brazil, you will find a job once you are there. You will be lucky if you get hired from abroad for a teaching position in a language school. (Regular schools are even more complicated). You should probably pick a destination first and then concentrate on that area. One city that is very pleasant is Florianopolis in southern Brazil. I'm not sure about the ESL job market there, but I hope somebody will be able to give you more information.

-
Quote:
One director did email me back. This is quoted directly from the email; "With your qualifications (which are good), few schools like ours in Brazil will be able to hire you. To work as a teacher in Basic education in our country you need to have a university level degree in the subject you are going to teach." Clearly he is saying I need a degree in English to get hired! Is that true? I tried emailing him back with no response thus far. I'm hoping maybe he is only talking about public schools....?


I don't believe that this applies to language schools. I've seen many teachers that did not necessarily hold a degree.

Quote:
My second biggest concern is the housing situation in Brazil. I have also heard some horror stories about this with regards to needing residential co-signers or extremely large deposits (neither of which I would be able to do).


This is true; if you cannot prove that you earn enough (it's not just enough to cover the rent, you need to make, perhaps, 2 or 3 times the amount of the rent), then you'll need a guarantor. Things may have changed, but I doubt it. Also, the lease is not yearly, I think it still is for 5 years, when done through a real estate agency.


Quote:
It seems the most realistic option with this is renting a room. I heard it's a good idea to look in the newspaper for rooms.


Even renting a room may be difficult. You will see that sharing an apartment is more common among college students; therefore you may target areas in proximity to colleges and universities. Some of the postings will be done directly on a board in the university. Check classified ads of local newspapers, craigslist, etc.. Another thing, you may be surprised at the prices over there...they've gone up!

Quote:
I also worry this is going to be a nightmare with my basic level of understanding Portuguese.


People are usually nice about you trying some Portuguese, but that doesn't mean they understand what you are saying. You will end up finding someone that will help you.

-
Quote:
So for this portion, if you could just describe in detail what your process was like in securing housing in Brazil... Thanks!

-Is Salvador de Bahia safe or too dangerous for someone like me?


I think that basic precaution is the key anywhere. I wouldn't flash my iPhone or laptop in public transportation, and I wouldn't carry all my important documents on me. Maybe in Salvador you can be singled out as a "tourist" or "foreigner" more easily than in Rio or S.P.

Quote:
Can you describe the current job market in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo with the high competition and abundance of chain schools?


I hope somebody will chip in and fill you in with current details.

Quote:
-Last but not least. What do you wish you would have known before going to Brazil?

Thanks again to all those willing to help!


Best Regards,

~Nes
[/quote]

Best of luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC