Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Columbia Ministry of Education Certified Schools
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Not Paying Foreign Teachers by Schools Certifed by the British Columbia Ministrry of Education is a good thing
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: British Columbia Ministry of Education Certified Schools Reply with quote

I was a teacher at the Mianyang Foreign Languages School in Sichuan Province of the People's Republic of China. After 30 days, I was discharged. I received no salary, severance, or travel reimbursement.

Do you support not paying discharged foreign teachers at British Columbia Ministry of Education certified schools?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Non Sequitur



Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2317
Location: China

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume 'not supporting' means condemning the non payment which OP experienced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3254
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: British Columbia Ministry of Education Certified Schools Reply with quote

cfocpamba wrote:
After 30 days, I was discharged.


why? discuss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WLamar



Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should a Canadian "authority" have any more standing than anything else? Fired after 30 days sounds like there was something going on with the employee, not the employer. Probationary periods are often used as such. Of course, pay should be provided, unless there was inappropriate actions on part of the employee, allowing the employer to not have to pay, per law.

What's the actual full story?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I was fired for not following British Columbia Ministry of Education policy and procedures. I refused to allow the children to be beaten. I refused to violate the privacy of the head of the program who had disappeared at the end of the first week. I refused to tell anyone the teacher was sick and would be back in a month. I refused to change an assessment of the abilities of one child. I refused to work without a contract and operate in way not in compliance with Chinese law and Chinese school policy and procedure, including allowing a teacher to deliver instruction because the police check-in had not be accomplished. I refused a promotion to program director. They also said I did not follow a schedule. I was given no orientation and we had operated a number of weeks without it. I was quite please there was some kind of schedule as it was the first evidence of any kind of curriculum. I implemented it immediately but it was very important to the British Columbia Ministry of Education that I be held of accountable for not implementing the unknown schedule. I said goodbye to one Chinese teacher the day before my last teaching day as I had no contract and was leaving the next day. I was also told I was rude and was the source of the general impression of the program. In summary, the kitchen sink, I was personally responsible for all the troubles in the world. Which my final violation of British Columbia Ministry of Education policy and procedure, I did not agree with that conclusion.

I certainly did not follow the British Columbia Ministry of Education policies and procedure. Whether this is a dischargeable offense, who knows as I was only given a contract the day before my last day of teaching and have no reason to read it. I think it is safe to assume it would be. I am quite happy I was fired.

Do you support not paying discharged foreign teachers at British Columbia Ministry of Education certified schools?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Non Sequitur



Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2317
Location: China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate - move on.
We all have one of these crapola deals in our China teaching history.
My experience of Canadian partnerships is that after a couple of years the Canadian school started to raise the bar on standards and sent a team to look at progress each semester.
Just before I left they were nominating Chinese staff to spend a semester in Ontario.
I can't imagine that the BC people aren't aware of the Chinese habit of milking these deals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. This is moving on.

Last month, I was diagnosis with a blood disorder. The blood disorder is rarely found in women who have given birth a number of times. I am a 57-year-old male. The healthcare people are stumped.

They gave me 10 days to leave the bed I had been assigned. One day I awoke to an awful smell inducing vomiting for the day. Mianyang is home to Southwest University of Science and Technology a Tier 1 university. Many military research and production activities are conducted there, including nuclear and chemical weapons.

As my road ahead is shorter my road behind, time takes a different perspective. You want to make impactful choices. I cannot stop them beating children but I can leave a good record.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Non Sequitur



Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2317
Location: China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

cfocpamba wrote:
Thank you for the advice. This is moving on.

Last month, I was diagnosis with a blood disorder. The blood disorder is rarely found in women who have given birth a number of times. I am a 57-year-old male. The healthcare people are stumped.

They gave me 10 days to leave the bed I had been assigned. One day I awoke to an awful smell inducing vomiting for the day. Mianyang is home to Southwest University of Science and Technology a Tier 1 university. Many military research and production activities are conducted there, including nuclear and chemical weapons.

As my road ahead is shorter my road behind, time takes a different perspective. You want to make impactful choices. I cannot stop them beating children but I can leave a good record.


Every good wish
Best
NS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Addenum Reply with quote

Your post is misleading. It is clear the fault lays entirely on the British Columbia Ministry of Education. There was no Chinese partner at the school. My contract is with the wife of a Ministry of Education official.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teenoso



Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 217
Location: east china

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you should have been paid for the work you have done, no question, so the poll is a little meaningless.

Can't help thinking that 'refusing ' so much in a chinese context is not good - why do you care about the assessment of one child ? why is this a big issue? If the school asks you about other teachers , just say you have no clue.

You may think you have won on any given confrontation, but chinese employers don't appreciate argumentative and difficult employees, as they perceive it.
Always be prepared for spanners to be thrown into works. As others have said , use this as a learning experience , give vent to your anger here, but try not to carry it on to your next position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3254
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

cfocpamba wrote:
I was fired for not following British Columbia Ministry of Education policy and procedures. I refused.....I refused....I refused....I refused.....I refused.....


hmmm....i can't imagine why. with that record, they should have offered you a promotion!

cfocpamba wrote:
....I refused a promotion.....


Doh! what was in your contract?

cfocpamba wrote:
.....I had no contract.......


Doh! you refused so much, what did you expect?

cfocpamba wrote:

I certainly did not follow the British Columbia Ministry of Education policies and procedure. Whether this is a dischargeable offense, who knows .....


now we know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course you should have been paid for the work you have done, no question, so the poll is a little meaningless.

Can't help thinking that 'refusing ' so much in a chinese context is not good - why do you care about the assessment of one child ? why is this a big issue? If the school asks you about other teachers , just say you have no clue.

You may think you have won on any given confrontation, but chinese employers don't appreciate argumentative and difficult employees, as they perceive it.
Always be prepared for spanners to be thrown into works. As others have said , use this as a learning experience , give vent to your anger here, but try not to carry it on to your next position.


What you have chosen to comprehend is in the context of your personal narrative. Although thoughtful and interesting, it is impertinent. For example, after disclosing a blood disorder giving advice about next time when the context is the last time comes across as insensitive. Your goal was to impart some useful information not tailor to these circumstances. I believe we would all be served by you offering your advice on another thread. [/list]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cfocpamba



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was fired for not following British Columbia Ministry of Education policy and procedures. I refused.....I refused....I refused....I refused.....I refused.....


hmmm....i can't imagine why. with that record, they should have offered you a promotion!


cfocpamba wrote:
....I refused a promotion.....


Doh! what was in your contract?


cfocpamba wrote:
.....I had no contract.......


Doh! you refused so much, what did you expect?


cfocpamba wrote:

I certainly did not follow the British Columbia Ministry of Education policies and procedure. Whether this is a dischargeable offense, who knows .....


now we know.


I assume you restating the obvious is a demonstration of ample time to re-do the done. Could you apply yourself to the interrogatory. Do you support not paying foreign teachers at British Columbia Ministry of School certified schools?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johntpartee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 3209

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time understanding anything about this entire topic. The "poll" itself doesn't make sense and the posts are confusing. I just don't get it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3254
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfocpamba wrote:
I assume you restating the obvious is a demonstration of ample time to re-do the done. Could you apply yourself to the interrogatory. Do you support not paying foreign teachers at British Columbia Ministry of School certified schools?


ordinarily no. but in certain cases...........

cfocpamba wrote:
I was a teacher...

cfocpamba wrote:
I refused to work without a contract...

cfocpamba wrote:
...I had no contract and was leaving the next day...


lookit.....you had no contract, you did no teachin', you weren't an employee.
paid for what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC