Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Anti-Interview Skype Interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoForGavi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: The Anti-Interview Skype Interview Reply with quote

Dear Forum Friends,

School X stumbled upon my CV last Friday evening and asked me to submit copies of my certification and diplomas. Great, right? Within a few hours, they wrote back to secure a Skype interview. Fantastic! My DoS was kind enough to cover for me as the scheduled interview was smack in the middle of my TOEFL class.

The entire "interview" was just a series of pre-scripted questions. No camera, no phone call, no interview ... just an extended chat session with questions like "What do you like about teaching?" with two to three minutes delay between my answer and the next question.

It felt like a typing test from my days as a paralegal.

Has anyone else been through this? Why wouldn't a school just send me the questions via email? Why establish an interview time?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their end hooked up to some sort of Skype polygraph, maybe? Timing your key-strokes...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Anti-Interview Skype Interview Reply with quote

GoForGavi wrote:
School X stumbled upon my CV last Friday evening...

That sort of says it all. Posting your CV online isn't likely to attract top notch recruiters/employers.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed and I would personally be concerned about a school that expected an interview during a scheduled class. Reputable employers tend to be more flexible and respect class times.
GoForGavi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses. The process has been as weird as it has been disappointing. The school is legit, no doubt, but I haven't yet figured out the real story behind the the robotic chat. Was it a pre-screen? Is there a
Delta candidate lurking in the background conducting research? Chances are good that it will remain a mystery. I have just received an email asking follow-up questions including, but not limited to, "Why should we hire you?" I am tempted, terribly tempted, to respond with "because I will work like an obsessed, indefatigable soldier to eliminate automated survey interviews from your hiring practices" or something equally sassy.
GoForGavi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and then it gets weirder.

I just received this email:

"After the assessment of your documents, we are writing to inform you that you have been selected to join our reputable organization. Kindly e-mail us with the below information to proceed.

Full name......
Present address.....
Nationality.........
Available date........... "

No salutation. Nothing. We've never actually spoken, but they've offered me a position. They have my CV, CELTA docs, passport and diplomas. What gives?

Shall I keep playing this truly bizarre game?

Last edited by GoForGavi on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigerian scam Very Happy

Note the following:
Reputable
Kindly
Present address

These words are frequently used in Nigerian scam e-mails, all within the body of the same e-mail.

Did you research School X?

This should be used as a lesson about sending your personal information/documents to unsolicited e-mail inquiries.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you said the school was legit. How do you know? I suspect you were given the name of a real school but to an illegitimate e-mail. Did you CALL the school to confirm?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoForGavi wrote:
We've never actually spoken, but they've offered me a position. They have my CV, CELTA docs, passport and diplomas. What gives?

Shall I keep playing this truly bizarre game?

Sure, keep playing this "truly bizarre game" if you have nothing else to do with your time. But seriously, if you've found the interview/process off-putting so far, why did you bother to blindly email them your CV, CELTA, passport and diplomas?
GoForGavi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school exists and is a member of the Cambridge family. My documents were sent after I was contacted directly and prior to the "interview".

I reached out to the school to confirm that they were actively searching for an experienced, certified instructor.

The curious thing is that their Skype account was flawless. Logos, contact numbers, names, the works. Everything appeared to be in perfect order.

Shall I warn others? Here or elsewhere?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They confirmed by phone, a phone call that you initiated?

I find it highly likely that this was an excellent scam. The phrasing is identical - when I google that last phrase ("kindly" is always the kicker), it comes up as a common 419 ("Nigerian scam") phrase.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't you find it bizarre that they have asked you for your nationality AFTER you have sent a passport copy? They don't have your name yet either???

Phishing phishing phishing...

You will be contacted shortly afterwards with a request to secure payment (or reimburse) for travel expenses.
GoForGavi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santi84 - Yep. Their ad was on several sites, so I had a buddy who speaks the language (and lives in a nearby town) call them directly.

A hard lesson. A fine school in my DREAM country. In fact, the whole reason I got a CELTA after my MFA was so that one day - one far away day - I could teach in Italy.

Thank you for your help. Time now to catch up on my weeping and self-reproach. Then I'll start the search again.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy? And you are an American citizen?

There is no way an Italian school would cold-call an American like that. It has all the markings of a 419 scam. If the school exists and is actually hiring, I would strongly suggest that these scammers are just spoofing.

Sorry!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what santi said. No school in Italy can/will get a visa for a US citizen (presuming you are from your NY location).

It has been known that scammers hijack legit school websites and details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: