Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

supporting a family in Russia / E Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once overheard a group of massively, grandly large ladies on public transit explaining to a newbie that white teeth are vitally important - the very first thing they look for when meeting someone. (Americans)
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I once overheard a group of massively, grandly large ladies on public transit explaining to a newbie that white teeth are vitally important - the very first thing they look for when meeting someone. (Americans)

It is very funny isn't it, how different cultures value different attributes?

Yes, even the fattest stupid sow off an American bus will condemn someone with bad teeth, and Russians will not allow a coat from the street into their restaurant--must be confined to the gardarov-- even though all the kitchen help is from Tajikistan, lives in cargo containers, and washes up once every three days maybe, and the place is overrun with rats....

I have come to the conclusion lately that the whole world is completely insane.

Make it stop now please, I want to get off.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk tsk! Such a thing to say! Your wish will be granted soon enough, either way. So why tempt fate into hurrying along the inevitable? Sure the world is insane. Just pour another stopka of the good water and ENJOY it while you can! Damn the US/UKians with their meaningless obsessions!

Zappppooooiiiii!!!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, even the fattest stupid sow off an American bus will condemn someone with bad teeth,

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! 'Public transit' does not equate solely to buses. Thankfully. There are a few reasonable train/metro systems in a few civilized parts of the 'merican wilderness. That's where I encountered the scene described above. I'm not a bus rider on the North American continent. Thankfully, nor do I have to often listen to generously-built American women pontificate about beauty, regardless of venue Cool .
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's far too much anti-American and Tajik sentiment on this thread, grrrr!

We are all brothers under Communism, after all.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the fat ladies and their gleaming white teeth?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sisters. Obviously!
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: supporting a family in Russia / E Europe Reply with quote

yorkty wrote:
Hello guys (and gals) this is my first post here and a lengthy one, but please stick with me.

I am a university student majoring in German. I will be graduating in about a year and a half. I am also studying the Russian language. I must study/intern abroad in a German speaking country to graduate. My plan is that I will take the CELTA in Germany and spend a couple of months teaching English as a volunteer to meet the requirements of the university. After that my goal is to spend the next year teaching English in Russia (or another country in central/eastern Europe). The trick is I won't yet have my degree (but I study online so will be making progress on it the entire time), but I will have my CELTA.

In which country in this region would it be easiest to obtain work with a CELTA, but not yet having graduated?

Part 2: I have a wife and young child (he will be two years old when we go). She will not be working. Is it possible to support a small family on a teacher's salary in this part of the world? And I mean living modestly, more or less how the locals live.

If anyone has any advice on which country/countries I should be looking in please let me know. Also if anyone is teaching with a family in tow please let me know your experiences.

Thanks a lot everyone!

If you want to learn Russian, why not live in Kiev? Things are written in Ukrainian but everyone is normally speaking Russian in the capital. The other posters are right. It is hard as hell to get a VISA for yourself and almost impossible to get one for a wife and child in Russia. They dont' need VISAs for Ukraine although you may have to pay some fine when you leave the country (Just try not to leave often b/c it will be 100$ each). With the right persistence and work attitude you could certainly support a family although it may be difficult. Maybe your wife could work from home? You could find work though making enough to support you guys if you live like a local. The salary of a western ESL teacher in Ukraine is generally that of a family...

My friend told me about a school in Kiev that wants you to get your celta at their school (1,500) but they pay VERY well provide an apartment, and legal working papers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: