Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on the new permit law for April 2014?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctorres626

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Thoughts on the new permit law for April 2014? Reply with quote

I think it makes it harder for people coming in, I guess the consulate wants to see that you have at least 300 euros for each month you want to extend for the permit. When you went over there you were issued a 3 to 5 year permit correct? I think now you will be issued a one year and need to renew every year.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zeeshan,

I think you posted on the wrong thread.

You should be talking up the school on the WSI thread.
philotaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:

Uh oh, looks like the jig is up. You are truly the gadfly of this place, parrot friend. I hope you never give up incisive commentary like this.

By the way, do you also have a distrust for the written word? Just curious, based on your critical reading faculties.
philotaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in an attempt to make some positive contribution to this hijacked thread (parrot, don't bother reading after the colon):

The bank account requirement and the length of the visa you mention have been in force, de facto if not de jure, since at least 2011. Turkish bureaucracy, in my experience, varies from person to person and place to place. If the officer you're dealing with had a fight with his wife or hasn't eaten lunch yet, he (it's almost always a he) might make you produce those bank statements. If he likes the cut of your jib, he might just stamp your papers and send you on your way.

Maybe this law's an attempt to standardize the process a bit more. It also seems that they're granting automatic residency to anyone granted a work permit, so that at least seems like good news.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philotaster wrote:
PC Parrot wrote:

Uh oh, looks like the jig is up. You are truly the gadfly of this place, parrot friend. I hope you never give up incisive commentary like this.

By the way, do you also have a distrust for the written word? Just curious, based on your critical reading faculties.

See WSI thread.
Luxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on whether or not the doviz slip is officially out as of April for obtaining a residence permit/renewal? I should think there will be a mass exodus of ESL teachers should that actually come to pass...
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: The truth about Residence & Work Visas for 2014 Reply with quote

I'm confused: Can someone clarify what I can expect from from my sponsoring school, which otherwise seems to be pretty professional? My concern is that I don't see where they've taken care of a foreigner's visa for a awhile and may be underestimating what is involved, or what I'd get for the effort.

As I get it, a Work Visa takes more work/effort to arrange, varying according to the area and the bureaucrats you're contending with.

If time is short, I gather you can bail out and get a Residence Visa pretty quickly. In this case, you run around town with a stack of papers/photos for a couple days, deposit X TL in a bank account to prove solvency, and you're set for however much money you've essentially proven you have to support yourself. Then, you can use the time you've gained to get the preferable Work Visa.

If this is all basically true:

1) Is it "legal" to work with a mere residence visa? Probably no less so than with the 90 day tourist visa, but is there any special risk involved?

2) Assuming this is practical, what are the other downsides? I'm thinking specifically the ability to get health insurance.

3) This probably deserve another posting, but it strikes me that with a Work visa you'd be eligible for other worker goodies, such as health insurance and contract enforceability. What sort of visa is needed to arrange local private health insurance, and at what point would I be covered by universal coverage?

As a "tourist" I cannot open a bank account, arrange for satellite TV, or any number of other things. As a "resident" I'd expect to be able to do all that stuff, spending my money to stimulate the local economy, as it were. But, as a "worker" it seems like I could expect to be entitled to the whole enchilada (?)
philotaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim,

In the past you had to apply for residence and work visas separately. Under that system, you're more or less on your own getting the residence visa, and the sponsoring school applies for the work visa after that clears. It seems that under the new legislation, your school can apply directly for a work permit and you'll get work and residency simultaneously--a much more logical process.

You cannot work legally on a residence permit. Schools have (or at least are supposed to have) yearly visits from the ministry of education, and if they find anyone working there illegally I believe they'll give a small fine to the illegal worker and a larger fine to the school itself.

I'm not sure about the public health insurance system and foreigners. I had to go to a public hospital for blood work, and they charged me something like 10TL for a test which is free for Turkish citizens. I was legally employed with private insurance at the time. I'd imagine you could buy into a private health plan with just residency status--I have the option of doing so on a student visa for 500TL per year. Keep in mind, too, that unless you have a really serious illness hospital costs won't break the bank here. A standard doctor's visit should run between 30 and 100TL out of pocket, depending on the hospital.

Requirements for opening a bank account will vary. I know for certain that TEB bank is willing to open accounts for people on tourist visas, but most banks aren't. I'd imagine a residence visa would be enough for most banks.

The biggest problems, as you mention, will be about contract enforceability. If you're working illegally, you obviously have little legal recourse.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Seems that the answer to my various questions boils down to, "it all depends," but at least health care for normal things isn't near as exorbitant as in the US.

My Ss tell me that the big difference between public and private health care is promptness of service, and when sick that's no small deal. Speculation is that private insurance is maybe twice what you mentioned, but that's still a pittance compared to what I feel compelled to carry from the States.

As with so many things, it seems my fate is tied up with the intentions and competence of my school.
delal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Fines Reply with quote

re fines-last I heard, teachers can get fıned 4,000 tl and schools 10,000
Oh and then there's deportatıon and no re-entry for years... Is ıt really worth the risk?
For newbies-you CANNOT work legally on just a residence permit: you need both a residence permit and a work permit
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the current timing to acquire the new Work/Residence Visa?

From different postings here, I get the sense that it used to vary from 3 weeks to 8 months, depending on the clout of the school and where you are.

In a big, impersonal place like Istanbul seems that it'd tend to be more arduous than a provincial city where their aren't that many foreigners for the bureaucracy to contend with.

Thoughts?
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an appointment at Sisli Emniyet.

I checked online for it a few days after I made it just to make sure my docs were in order.

However, I checked on it a few weeks later (yesterday) and the site says "can't be found."

I already have the print out so I'm going. However, should I be worried?

Dude
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
I have an appointment at Sisli Emniyet.

I checked online for it a few days after I made it just to make sure my docs were in order.

However, I checked on it a few weeks later (yesterday) and the site says "can't be found."

I already have the print out so I'm going. However, should I be worried?

Dude

For those of you dying to know the answer, I should've used Caps.
ntriolo8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to the Turkish consulate in my area tomorrow to acquire a work visa. Will I be asked to produce a bank statement? (Any info on what I am likely to be required to show would be really helpful - all I know is that I need to bring my passport.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: