Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teach on retirement visa in ECUADOR?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrannan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: teach on retirement visa in ECUADOR? Reply with quote

Just wondering if it's legal to teach in Ecuador if one has a retirement visa? Or does possessing a retirement visa make any difference other than being in the country legally? I haven't seen this question answered probably because most of you are way under retirement age Very Happy But I'm getting close and understand the difficulties with getting a work visa and.. I really don't want to teach illegally..
Thanks for any information anyone may have!!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's fine. The retirement visa is a resident visa. Once it is processed you will get your cedula (ID card). Then you can apply for a RUC number and facturas (for tax). After that you are good to go. You may find schools are reluctant to hire you full time because of your age, but part time work and private students should be OK.
jbrannan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is not legal to work on a pension visa (9-I). The purpose of that visa is to bring money into the country, not to pay it out. If you have a four year degree, the better option might be to get the Professional 9-V visa. You can get work on the Pension visa, because most employers dont realize that you are not supposed to be working, and immigration and SRI (the Ecuadorian version of the IRS) don`t necessarily cross check. But at some point, if they find out that you have been working, you can face penalties, up to and including the revocation of the visa.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd J-A-M, I was told by the UK consulate, they said you can work on any 9 series visa, that as long as it's a resident visa, it entitles you to work.
jbrannan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it difficult to get the Professional Visa? I actually have a Master's Degree in Education and am a retired teacher in the US.
Thanks for any information you can provide,
jbrannan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an Ecuadorian Consulate in my city. Maybe I should check it out with them to be sure. Thank you both for the information!
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, the consulates often give false information. A few of my clients have had some very expensive problems as a result. Rules change and they arent always kept up to date. I just asked that question this week at the Ministerio del Exterior which oversees visas, and their reply was that you cannot work on pension or investment visas such as the 9-II real estate or CD investment visas, as the objective for these types of visas, is to bring money into the country, not to pay wages out. Im aware of one current case in the region where I´m at, where the person is currently in the legal process of trying to retain their visa after Migracion found that they were working.
jbrannan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information.. In your opinion where can I find the latest, most accurate information on visas? I believe I would qualify also for the professional visa (not sure of the exact wording of this one) since I do have an advanced degree but am not sure how to go about attempting to obtain this.
Thanks again
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for this misinformation JB.

J-A-M even by Ecuadorian bureaucracy standards, that's really bad Sad I was specifically asking about the investor vs professional visas for teaching (because of the long delays getting certs registered with SENECYT in Quito at the moment). They said they were both fine and that all the 9 series conferred equal rights to work once they were issued. Is this a new change? And do you know if it's documented anywhere? Thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at retirement visas in a handful.of countries and I do not know of any that allow you to work. But if anyone knows of any please let me mnow.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Can we now admit.. Reply with quote

that in Ecuador the visa process is NOT straightforward or easy to understand..as has been claimed on this board?

If a UK consulate does not even know what types of visas you can legally work on, then Ecuador has a real visa problem.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbrannan, if you are still following this, I just got my professional visa issued. I did it myself, and although getting the paperwork in order was a slow process, once I had everything together it only took about 3 weeks to get the actual visa. It was fairly straight forward to do, and I'm happy to answer any questions by PM if you are thinking of going down that route.

Also, I believe the situation in Ecuador has now changed (again) and you CAN work on a retirement visa now. Hopefully J-A-M can confirm?
bexarwithme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ, Did you get your professional visa in Quito?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I applied in Quito.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: