Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marcus Evans Linguarama
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit after keying in some figures that prices have gone up a bit since my wife had an ALC policy in 2009. Yikes.

You've nothing to lose, though, by asking a broker. There was an old character called John on Toytown who sorted me out. Brokers don't actually add costs on, quite the opposite normally.

Other than that, I'd carry my EHIC card everywhere and hope for the best.
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

You've nothing to lose, though, by asking a broker. There was an old character called John on Toytown who sorted me out. Brokers don't actually add costs on, quite the opposite normally.

John's a gent (he goes by 'Panda' on that forum, I think) - always willing to help. Altho' a little irritable if pushed!
Hod

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just revisited that ALC site as I was shocked by the prices. You can opt for an Excess of £500, which lowered the price by around 25% in my case. You also claw money back by putting health insurance on your tax return. I'd be worried about falling down stairs or being hit by a car and spending the rest of my days in poverty paying the medical bills.
JN

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

John's a gent (he goes by 'Panda' on that forum, I think) - always willing to help. Altho' a little irritable if pushed!

No not by Panda. I'm pretty sure you mean John G. However, Panda Munich is great for German tax help.
Luxe

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: - Reply with quote

johncoan wrote:

I think it you stick around long enough you might get a contract with Marcus Evans Linguarama. But who in their right mind would want such a thing?

Could you expand on this a bit? I had a friend who really enjoyed her time there, so I'd be interested to hear your experiences.
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: - Reply with quote

Luxe wrote:
johncoan wrote:

I think it you stick around long enough you might get a contract with Marcus Evans Linguarama. But who in their right mind would want such a thing?

Could you expand on this a bit? I had a friend who really enjoyed her time there, so I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Ah, nothing shocking. Some people are cut out for teaching business people in their offices. I was bored shitless most of the time. Couple of nice folk, tho'.
EnglishLanguageOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
mrpianoman wrote:
Yes I know you're legally obliged to get health insurance, but who's going to check up if you don't?

The doctor?

OK, no one will check unless you needed to apply for a visa, for example, but the obvious common sense lectures about health insurance apply.

Companies such as this http://www.alchealth.com/ offer Germany-approved health cover for about €100 a month.

Why would an EU citizen need health insurance? surely an E111 card is all you need?
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

Quote:
A valid European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.
The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home.

E111 or EHIC is fine for genuine tourists.

I don't even know how you'd get to see a doctor in Germany with an EHIC card. The first thing the receptionist asks for is your insurance card, and she might not even know what an EHIC card is. You might not be at your best, hence visiting the doctor, so it's not the best time to be trying to convince a German speaker of your apparent rights.

And if you develop a longer-term problem, Germany won't keep providing medical care, and maybe the UK won't either if you've not lived there for years.

The best options for German health insurance are to get insured or don't live in Germany.
EnglishLanguageOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: - Reply with quote

johncoan wrote:
mrpianoman wrote:
They contacted me in Italy just but I'm not there now. For part time work. They also have full time work going in Milan according to tefl.com so i wrote yesterday to ask if they have any positions available. It's all freelance in Germany is it? Do they offer contracts too? The italian full time jobs range from 1500 to 1835 euro a month, I said I'd work for not less than 1835. Tax is high in Germany so you need a good salary if it's contracted. About the freelance health insurance, do you need to pay it? You could save 200 or 300 euro a month by not bothering and if you get ill, just go and see a private doc instead.

You're legally obliged to get health insurance when in Germany - sorry to have to tell you. It can be expensive, too.

Isn't your EU E111 card supposed to cover your health care in any member state? As an EU citizen a nation such as Germany cannot discriminate against people from other EU member states.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EHIC - formerly the E111 - is intended for people on temporary visits to other EU states. It is NOT meant for those who have taken up residence.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice of paying nothing for my German healthcare or paying around €250 a month, along with every expat in Germany I'd have gone for the free option, if I could.

The fact people pay this money doesn't make them daft or extravagant. It's been the law in Germany since 2009 that every resident has adequate health insurance.

In any case, I don't even think you'd get past the doctor's receptionist with just an EHIC, which is for genuine A&E type emergencies. You're fooling yourself thinking an EHIC covers you.

I can't think of anything potentially more expensive or important than having health insurance.

And without being political, the recent migrants arriving in Germany will all have health insurance albeit funded by the taxpayer. If you live uninsured in Germany, you're worse off than these poor people.
YellowMoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: - Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
Do they offer contracts too? The italian full time jobs range from 1500 to 1835 euro a month, I said I'd work for not less than 1835.

is that before or after tax?
Braidster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The health insurance issue aside, the growing problem in Germany is the cost of renting half decent accommodation. I was offered a job in Germany in a small city an hour or so from Stuttgart last year (July 2017) and I'd have done well to find a 40m2 for 600EUR per month. And that's just the rent! You have to add on an amount of 120-180EUR for fixed power charges as well as at least a 2 month deposit, sometimes 3, to secure a place. So, you'll need to have c.2000EUR which you're prepared to drop at an instant and that's not including the estate agent fee of a month's rent, if you use one. On comparing that lot with what you can potentially earn, it's likely you'll spend a lot of your spare time staying in, wondering if it's worth it.
Dave Rochester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braidster wrote:
The health insurance issue aside, the growing problem in Germany is the cost of renting half decent accommodation. I was offered a job in Germany in a small city an hour or so from Stuttgart last year (July 2017) and I'd have done well to find a 40m2 for 600EUR per month. And that's just the rent! You have to add on an amount of 120-180EUR for fixed power charges as well as at least a 2 month deposit, sometimes 3, to secure a place. So, you'll need to have c.2000EUR which you're prepared to drop at an instant and that's not including the estate agent fee of a month's rent, if you use one. On comparing that lot with what you can potentially earn, it's likely you'll spend a lot of your spare time staying in, wondering if it's worth it.

Indeed.

More of that sort of talk here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95820
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going there soon - but I am a genuine tourist I will rely on EHIC No one can tell me what will happen with EHIC post BREXIT

Do we have any soothsayers or fortune tellers ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: