Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Put 'er there, pal - shaking it up in Dubai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Put 'er there, pal - shaking it up in Dubai Reply with quote

"Man Accused of “Gay Handshake” Stands Trial in Dubai

You can tell homophobia has gotten out of control when even handshakes between men are scrutinized for being “gay.” In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), one man stands trial after being accused of giving a gay handshake to a colleague, reports The Huffington Post UK.

As a Care2 member stated in a petition she created, “THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GAY HANDSHAKE!” It is an absolute joke that Dubai courts are entertaining the allegation as a potential criminal matter. The fact that the case wasn’t immediately thrown out shows how the government is inclined to condemn homosexuality in even the most ludicrous of scenarios.

The handshake in question occurred between a pair of firefighters with a longstanding grudge. The prosecution has charged the defendant with indecency for shaking hands in a “perverted” manner. The supposed “victim” says that, when shaking hands with his coworker, the defendant rubbed his middle finger on his palm.

Although the gesture seems too insignificant to be considered a homosexual act, even supposing it were meant to communicate something “gay,” a harmless handshake should not warrant judicial intervention.

For what it’s worth, the defendant denies giving the “perverted” handshake. He cites a workplace feud as the reason the plaintiff pressed charges.

“If this case goes any further it has the potential of setting a dangerous precedent,” argues the head of the UAE LGBT advocacy group. “It is inviting misuse by other claimants who are simply against homosexuality, causing a witch hunt against an already prosecuted minority group. What[‘s] next? ‘He look at me in a funny way, therefore he is gay and must be punished?’”

Unfortunately, legal action over something this trite isn’t all that surprising given the other anti-gay legislation on the books in the UAE. In Dubai, both parties of a same-sex couple that engage in consensual sex can receive up to 10 years in prison, while a federal law stipulates that male sodomy is punishable with the death penalty.

Considering that the UAE Supreme Court permits men to abuse their wives and children so long as they don’t leave visible marks (sigh) and rape victims in Dubai can still be placed in jail for their part in getting raped (double sigh), this case shows the warped priorities and sense of justice in the region. When actual sexual misdeeds are committed, the courts look the other way, but when the smallest hint of something that someone has construed as “gay” occurs, then they hold a trial.

Join others around the world in telling Dubai officials that a handshake is not “gay” and prevent this homophobia-based witch hunt from escalating further by signing the petition below.

http://www.care2.com/causes/man-accused-of-gay-handshake-stands-trial-in-dubai.html#ixzz2lNgZrR8P

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering all the completely acceptable hugging and kissing that goes on between same sex pairs of friends ... not to mention that they stroll along holding hands ... all over the Middle East including the Gulf, this seems doubly bizarre.

I can't think of any place in the world that more desperately needs good sex education in their schools... their ignorance of sexuality is just pitiful in this modern world.

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll wait until I see this story from a reliable source.

The op reeks of a hand behind the back grinding an axe.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:

Are you referring to John or the author of this article.

While Scot47 has a strong dislike of the UAE, John is merely posting something from the press pointing out yet another Middle East oddity.

You've been around for a long time. Don't you find this arrest to be ludicrous, but sadly unsurprising?

VS
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:

Plenty of axe grinders here at the Cafe, but John is not one of them. Very Happy

D. Merit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, I was referring to the author of the article.

I don't have any real conclusions as I suspect this story is spurious.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear D. Merit,

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder, though, why you think the story is spurious. I mean, it's not as though homosexuality is regarded with any tolerance or seen as at all legal in the Middle East.

"What is the name of this law? (if applicable - please give chapter and section)
Article 80 of the Dubai Penal Code criminalise consensual sodomy.
Article 177 of the Abu Dhabi Penal Code criminalise consensual sodomy.

What is the full text of this law?
"All sexual acts outside of heterosexual marriage are banned in the United Arab Emirates. However, whether sodomy is punished with death penalty remains in dispute.
The Arabic text of article 354 is ambiguously phrased and can be translated in different ways.
Some sources indicate that the article punishes rape of a woman or forced sodomy with a man, while others indicate that it punishes rape on women and sodomy between men. The semi-official translation used by attorneys in the Emirates states that “any individual who forcibly compels a woman to carnal copulation or a man to sodomy” is punished by death. In a German parliamentary report the article has been translated as follows:
“Irrespective of the provisions of the Act on Delinquent and Vagrant Juveniles, any person who forcibly engages in sexual intercourse with a woman, or a homosexual act with a homosexual, shall be punished with the death penalty. Coercion shall be recognised if the condemned person was fourteen years of age at the time of the commission of the offence.” Sofer, on the other hand, means that the article can be translated differently;
“Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male”.
Amnesty International, finally, considers article 354 to apply to rape only, and not to consensual same-sex acts. However, the organization states that the “Zina” provision according to Sharia law, punishing sexual acts by married persons outside of marriage by death, could possible apply in the UAE, although it is not aware of any such death sentences for consensual same-sex conduct.

Apart from federal law, consensual sodomy is criminalised in the emirates of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Article 80 of the Dubai Penal Code punishes sodomy with a penalty of up to 14 years imprisonment, while article 177 of the Abu Dhabi Penal Code punishes such acts with a penalty of up to ten years imprisonment."

Of course, Saudi is even more draconian:

"What is the full text of this law?
There is no codified Penal Law in Saudi-Arabia. Instead, the country applies strict Islamic Sharia law. According to the interpretation sodomy is criminalised. For a married man the penalty is death by stoning, while the penalty for an unmarried man is 100 blows of the whip as well as banishment for a year. For a non-Muslim, who commits sodomy with a Muslim, the penalty is death by stoning. For conviction of sodomy, it must be proved either by confession of the culprit four times, or “testimony of four trustworthy Muslim men”. Moreover are all sexual relationsoutside of marriage illegal in Saudi-Arabia according to the Sharia law, including sexual relations between women."

http://ilga.org/ilga/en/countries/SAUDI%20ARABIA/Law#lawsection_m2m

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: