Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On-the-Ground Job searching San Jose/Heredia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spunkybkworm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: On-the-Ground Job searching San Jose/Heredia Reply with quote

So I'm here in CR and on the job hunt. Literature degree, TEFL certification, 2 years teaching experience in Asia with both kids and adults. I've done some research via the internet for schools to send my resume out to but I've exhausted the relatively short list of larger institutions available.

I'm next considering just a) walking my resume into schools i see while out and about or b) starting to go through the yellow page listings of language schools for e-mail addresses/phone numbers/locations. Any thoughts on how either of those strategies might work or advice on improving my luck?

My biggest concern is my nearly non-existent Spanish, meaning I'm wondering if recruiting the boyfriend for a resume distribution day might be the best bet. How likely is it that I'd be able to walk into a school and find someone who could talk with me?

Thanks!
Mike410

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I would be interested to hear how you are finding the job hunt. I am in CR at the moment but enjoying the beach for now! I will be looking for schools soon. There is not a lot of up to date info on here or elsewhere.

Let me know!
petermcguire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: On-the-Ground Job searching San Jose/Heredia Reply with quote

spunkybkworm wrote:
So I'm here in CR and on the job hunt. Literature degree, TEFL certification, 2 years teaching experience in Asia with both kids and adults. I've done some research via the internet for schools to send my resume out to but I've exhausted the relatively short list of larger institutions available.

I'm next considering just a) walking my resume into schools i see while out and about or b) starting to go through the yellow page listings of language schools for e-mail addresses/phone numbers/locations. Any thoughts on how either of those strategies might work or advice on improving my luck?

My biggest concern is my nearly non-existent Spanish, meaning I'm wondering if recruiting the boyfriend for a resume distribution day might be the best bet. How likely is it that I'd be able to walk into a school and find someone who could talk with me?

Thanks!

This is not so encouraging, since the only thing that seems to be working against you is not knowing the native language. Often in Taiwan and Korea, they liked it better if you did not once you started working. I do understand you were referring to getting the job - but , as you know, since you are applying to an English Language Center, someone there should know English fairly well.

I, on the other hand am an older male with an unrelated BS degree- although I have experience and have a state teaching license! ( albeit as a Para )

My daughter is out of high school now and my financial pressures are not as great. I just want to go abroad and work - where I want to, this time.

Hope thing ultimately faired out for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: