Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter of Application- Length?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenster85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Letter of Application- Length? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some advice about the expected/accepted length of a cover letter for an International school (or other) in Vietnam. In Ireland, candidates should stick to one page whereas for International Schools in Europe I have heard it can be two pages long.

I have just started to apply to some schools for the academic year 2014-15. I imagine there will be a huge number of applications for these positions so would like to give my application every chance of being read.

Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One A4 page cover letter along with a detailed resume should be fine. Don't forget to tailor the message specifically for the school.

However, in practice, if you have the qualifications, you could submit a cover letter in lorem ipsum and still get a call-back.

Just keep in mind that overseas hires are rare. Best to come to Vietnam directly, buy a phone/SIM card and take it from there.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover letters are supposed to be short and sweet. Anything more than 3-4 paragraphs is too long. I've never heard of a 2 page cover letter before.

Your cover letter should start off by saying where you heard about the school, go on to share some extra details about yourself as to why you think you'd make a good teacher at their school, and perhaps a little bit about why you'd like to work at that particular school/city. Nothing in it should repeat what's already on your CV/Resume.

Furthermore, I doubt you are going to get much response by applying for jobs so early. The academic school year usually ends in May in Vietnam, and many school will have no idea if they are going to need a new teacher right up until 2 months before the contracts of their previous teachers expire. This is Vietnam, where even the Western schools do everything at the last minute.
Jenster85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Cover letter Reply with quote

Thank you for that. I have sent one already that was a page and a half... hopefully they will take the time to read it. I'll try to keep it down a bit for future ones.

I will be willing to go to Vietnam directly and do some door knocking if it comes to it. I'll see if I can organise something in an International School in advance though as ideally I'd love to benefit from the overseas hiring benefits (relocation allowance etc. ) which don't seem to be available to those hired when already in the country. I think qualifications wise I should be ok as I have a Masters in English Language Teaching plus PGCE (French and EAL), plus 4 years experience(1 year secondary + 3 years at 3rd level). However I don't have experience with IGCSE and other CIE exams....I hope this won't put me to the back of the queue.

If all fails... backpack and bundle of CVs it shall be!!!

If anyone has anything to add... with regard to the IGCSE thing, all advice is very very welcome. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again to RustyShackleford!
Jenster85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi expatluke, Thanks for that. I suppose I'll have to live and learn with the Cover Letter. The recent one I sent was too long. However if they do take the time to read it I think it was fairly well written and expressed how I would be suited to the job. I see what you mean about timing. I will be keeping a keen eye on these schools though, as some (albeit only a few) have advertised already for 2014-15. The closing date for the one I applied to in early December and they replied already saying they will be contacting shortlisted candidates in January...so fingers crossed.

Good to get the heads up that things happen last minute so save myself getting disheartened if nothing comes up in the next few months. Thanks again for your reply. Jen
Oh My God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Just keep in mind that overseas hires are rare. Best to come to Vietnam directly, buy a phone/SIM card and take it from there.
No actually, for Internationally Accredited Schools an overseas hire is normal maybe even preferred. But a real teaching license is mostly required so I'd guess that a PGCE would work but I'm American, don't know.

The majority of on-site hires are fairly low unless you want to do the Language Mills. That's a different dance entirely.

Even a REAL Teacher with little experience has a higher market value than most of us here. BUT the benefits are more freely offered to the overseas hire. So do the REAL teacher thing and apply to several Int Sch in several countries and grab the best deal you can get, you can always come back to VietNam later. Go get your feet wet!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:
No actually, for Internationally Accredited Schools an overseas hire is normal maybe even preferred. But a real teaching license is mostly required so I'd guess that a PGCE would work but I'm American, don't know.

The majority of on-site hires are fairly low unless you want to do the Language Mills. That's a different dance entirely.

I don't think that's entirely true, at least not universally true. In Danang most of the International Schools seem to hire exclusively from within the city. They do not advertise any job offers overseas, from what I've seen.
Jenster85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I'll carry on sending my CV to those who advertise and also speculatively...we'll see what happens. Being persistent has helped me a lot in the past... bug the schools (in the nicest possible way) you want until they give you a job...that's my motto! Thanks for the replies. Jen
Oh My God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I don't think that's entirely true, at least not universally true. In Danang most of the International Schools seem to hire exclusively from within the city. They do not advertise any job offers overseas, from what I've seen.

DaNang is a different market and many positions are filled from referrals UNLESS you're talking about ILA, that's just a Language Mill anyway.

How many IAS's are there in DaNang? Are any not accredited?

But world wide, you mostly get the best benefits when you move from another country (it doesn't have to be you home country, either) and experience is scrutinised. So good luck to you, my dear!
LarueLarry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I don't think that's entirely true, at least not universally true. In Danang most of the International Schools seem to hire exclusively from within the city. They do not advertise any job offers overseas, from what I've seen.[/quote]

Da Nang only has SIS and I know some teachers who were hired from overseas.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarueLarry wrote:

That's not the only accredited international school here. There are several, and a few in Hoi An as well.
LarueLarry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
LarueLarry wrote:

That's not the only accredited international school here. There are several, and a few in Hoi An as well.

That's false. Name schools if you're so sure. And there aren't any in Hoi An.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, Singapore International, Pegasus, and Skyline are the three in Danang that I can think of, but I have heard of others from friends but don't remember the names. In Hoi An there's Greenshoots, where I have a friend teaching.

I think if you just ask around you'll find the same answers. Chances are we either know each other or know te same people. Danang expat community is tight knit like that.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I think if you just ask around you'll find the same answers. Chances are we either know each other or know te same people. Danang expat community is tight knit like that.
Yeah, my Favorite hang-out was Christi's Cool Spot but that was 8 years ago. My wife used to work there.

We come back for Tet and I wish I could make the same money as Saigon but it just doesn't work out with my seminar business. I'd prefer to live a lot closer to Ba Na but I guess I'll have to hold off until retirement, whatever that is!

Haven't heard about the expansion in the expat education business in Danang, it brightens my hopes of moving back there someday!
LarueLarry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Humm, Singapore International, Pegasus, and Skyline are the three in Danang that I can think of, but I have heard of others from friends but don't remember the names. In Hoi An there's Greenshoots, where I have a friend teaching.

I'm not looking for any answers. I just feel like you're inflating the international school scene here. And some of those schools you mentioned aren't accredited--whatever that's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: