Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicaragua, Panama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kootenay teacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Nicaragua, Panama Reply with quote

Hi everbody,
Ok, on the advice from pros on the newbie forum I'm weeks away from completing my BA. I already have a TESOL, Instructor Diploma & 6 mos. experience in VietNam. I'm Canadian. I'd like to teach adults somewhere in LA. I've found very few schools or info on the 'net. The employers appear to expect us to show up in person with CV in hand. I'm reluctant to do this, but will if it comes to that. Is anybody out there currently working in Nicaragua, Panama? Any suggestions on h2 proceed, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Paddy
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to hijack your thread but just weighing in with personal opinion--

On the Pacific side of latin America currently, Chinese is a far more useful second language than English.

Of course there will be some demand for English, but it it's not terribly profitable.

Ahh, but for those who are bi-lingual in Spanish and Chinese, for these people there is much more opportunity.

Just sayin'...................
kootenay teacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Nicaragua, Panama Reply with quote

Chinese, never would have thought. Thanks for info.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only say that schools in Latin America tend not to use internet resources much for hiring. Usually they wish for you to be there.

That said, I am unaware of what an instructor diploma is exactly. But, you may find the following information of interest & may be able to apply it to your situation.

I know you said your from Canada but I thought this may be of use... If you look on the department of state site for the US they have lists of schools with different programs around the world (some include ESL specific programs for teachers that have their credentials).

Also - If you do a search for education on the department of state site there is ESL specific school info. Many of the phone numbers are bad. But, if you look there was a university listed - I think it was the university of Iowa. Don't quote me on this. But, if you call the number they have a program that places teachers with their credentials in ESL schools around the world including where you want to work. A real person answers the phone so they may be able to get you on the right track even if they don't place non US teachers. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: