Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CertTESOL Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katylady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: CertTESOL Hong Kong Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this particular center with English for Asia? I am looking to come to Hong Kong in the spring on a student visa, then looking for a job after getting certified.

1. How helpful is English for Asia with getting a job after certification?
2. Are they helpful with accommodation?
3. Generally, how hard is it to get a decent job and what is the typical pay as a fresh graduate with a certification (and not much experience)?
4. I have been reading that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get a work visa in HK, does anyone have any information or stories regarding this?
5. Any other information about this course or HK in general would be much appreciated!
Thank you Smile
ZeeshanMukhtar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an exciting collaboration between Lancaster and the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The programme allows Hong Kong-based language teachers to take up professionally relevant and practically orientated training alongside their teaching work. TESOL (Hong Kong) MA
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeeshanMukhtar wrote:
This is an exciting collaboration between Lancaster and the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The programme allows Hong Kong-based language teachers to take up professionally relevant and practically orientated training alongside their teaching work. TESOL (Hong Kong) MA

Why are you writing gibberish on various threads? Is it just to see if anyone's daft enough to take interest? (oops, guess you got me)

OP
1 dunno, sorry
2 dunno
3. Generally, how hard is it to get a decent job and what is the typical pay as a fresh graduate with a certification (and not much experience)?

It's not too hard to get a low paid tefl job here. Salary 12-15K. Maybe free, shared accommodation. It's a bit tougher getting over 20K, but ads crop up now and again.

4. I have been reading that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get a work visa in HK, does anyone have any information or stories regarding this?

If the company is advertising internationally, usually means they will set the visa up. If you try to come as a tourist and get work, it can cause you a lot of hassle if you're caught (along the lines of deportation and not being allowed back - no prison as far as I know)
katylady

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxi, thanks for your reply!

The company can easily get me over there on a student visa, as I will be attending class to eventually get a certificate from them, but I have read that HK is cracking down on giving out work visas to inexperienced English teachers.

I guess I'm wondering too now if the pay is going to be 12-15K (can only do that with accommodation) if I will be breaking even/how comfortably I'll be able to live. I know HK is an expensive place and I want to have fun while I'm there, but I would like to be able to save a little bit of money. Hmmm

Just trying to weigh out my best option. I am considering Shanghai as well. Do you think there is more opportunity there?
toko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who worked for English for Asia. They place you in a school, and sometimes you have to work weekends or extra hours. He had no resources from the company, and had to make up everything on the spot. They pay in 6-week increments, so you can't really celebrate the last day of the month with drinks like everyone else, unless you are good at budgeting. Laughing

Also, when this person left, giving the appropriate notice time, they docked his 2 week school holiday from this last paycheck.

You do have to be careful in HK. Labor law only protects you so far. If the contract is vague on hours or placements, they can make you work overtime with no pay. I've had this happen with a private company and tried to complain to the Labour hot-line. They said the contract with the company is what matters. However, I'm pretty sure China would have some more problems, from what I hear of friends working their. Bottom line, just research as much as you can from the company. Most people just trudge through something until they get the proper work visa, and then they switch to something better. Word of advice for here, also: Avoid kindys! Shocked
katylady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toko wrote:
I know someone who worked for English for Asia. They place you in a school, and sometimes you have to work weekends or extra hours. He had no resources from the company, and had to make up everything on the spot. They pay in 6-week increments, so you can't really celebrate the last day of the month with drinks like everyone else, unless you are good at budgeting. Laughing

Also, when this person left, giving the appropriate notice time, they docked his 2 week school holiday from this last paycheck.

I am not looking to work directly for them, I only want to take the course that they are offering (CertTESOL).

I have applied and have an interview next week. The woman I have been in contact with seems to be very confident that if I do well and am persistent with applying that I will definitely have a job within a week of completing the course, and that getting a visa will not be a problem. I am just a bit wary about the situation. It's a big commitment and I don't want to go that far and end up disappointed (as I have been reading other testimonials about a first timer in HK and the troubles that can come with that).
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I wanted to warn katylady.

Quote:
The woman I have been in contact with seems to be very confident that if I do well and am persistent with applying that I will definitely have a job within a week of completing the course, and that getting a visa will not be a problem.

of course she'll say that since she's selling her product, the course, to you. English For Asia is a business. They pimp out part-timers to schools and offer TEFL courses. They can't guaranetee you a job.

when will you finsih the course? Do schools hire at that time of year, and will they consider a newbie? If they hire you, you'll need to wait for the visa, and then wait until your first cheque. Do you have enough cash to last a few months in Hong Kong?

Taiwan would be a much better place to start katylady. Hong Kong ios not a place for newbies.
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it 'Asia for English' is a dispatch company mainly for placing ELTAs into EDB schools. Very few will have vacancies after the start of term. Most ELTAs I know also have two or more p/t jobs and might travel right across the territory to make ends meet.

Other than that, I can't give anymore help, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: