Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering a move to Europe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haopengyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Considering a move to Europe. Reply with quote

I very recently was able to obtain dual citizenship with Ireland - my father was born and raised there. I have lived in China for the past 15 years teaching English and am thinking of making a move out of China in the next couple of years. I am a licensed teacher in the US and have my TEFL certificate from UCLA. I am seriously considering the DELTA training next year so that by the end of December of 2014 I will have the qualification. I am a 53 year old American.

I would prefer to move on to an English speaking country, but that is not required. I am looking for suggestions now for places to go, how to find work there, etc. As I understand it, I now have access to living in any country in the European Union without needing a visa.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're good to go ...

All you need now is a private income of €1,000 a month to support your TEFL earnings, and Bob's your uncle ..
haopengyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
It sounds like you're good to go ...

All you need now is a private income of €1,000 a month to support your TEFL earnings, and Bob's your uncle ..

to support or supplement? and who is Bob?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL in Europe (particularly if you are aiming at the UK; there's kinda some competition there Surprised ) doesn't pay well in general Shocked This is because there are lots of teachers around and many are very well qualified- it's an employer's market.

Your experience in China won't be a huge help, because it's really apples and oranges compared to teaching European students. Your TEFL cert is useful, but almost all teachers on this market have one, so the DELTA is the only thing you've got to put you above every newbie on the block.

A few general notes:
Most jobs in the region aren't found from abroad. You need to be here to interview in person. Timing is important; contracts are generally Sept/Oct through June with little work outside of summer camps in July/August. There is usually a small hiring bump in January also. Coming over in March, for example, is a recipe for low success rates in job searches.
Most European teachers get ahead - meaning get into the few better jobs around- by committing to a location and essentially paying some dues there. This means taking what you can find the first year and building local reputation and contacts and language skills. Then, when work beyond the newbie level comes up, you're in place to grab a slot. Of course you might get lucky right away, but it's not likely.
haopengyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That is very helpful.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's your uncle.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Bob's+your+uncle!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: