Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I'd go with Krakow. I was just thinking it's been too long since I took a trip there. Just be sure to check the weather first.

I liked Vilnius ok, but it will probably be a one-off for me. It was nothing special and the Lithuanian 'cuisine' was greasy and made Polish food look delicious in comparison.

Actually, I had a GREAT Steak there at a quiet restaurant recommended by TA up one of the side streets a couple of hundred meters off the main drag. Far better than anything I have had in Europe to date. When I went before it was a border hop for Immigration but maybe I would do it again if I have time for the sights.

OTOH, I have to confess I am feeling this "low pressure" up here and may well just spend the next week trying to bank some sleep for the coming year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Krakow Reply with quote

Bydgoszcz 'Venice of Poland'. If your bus stops there, stay on it.

I love those overused misnomers.

Poznan's nice for a weekend but you'll be hard pressed to find a decent restaurant. I've eaten in most of them and my friend is paid to review them.

Torun's a nice little place.

We're off to Krakow and the surrounding area.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf's_Lair

It makes a change from "Holocaust Tourism"
Janek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scot47"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf's_Lair

It makes a change from "Holocaust Tourism"[/quote]

Distasteful and impious. I once had the horror to meet an antisemitic Scottish teacher in Krakow. Is it you?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janek wrote:
distasteful and impious. I once had the horror to meet an antisemitic Scottish teacher in Krakow. Is it you?
Being interested in the holocaust (or not) is a far cry from being antisemitic. How do make that connection?
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brits and Americans have a strange fetish for anything Nazi (see Monty Python and the last presidential election in The States). We can't abstain from mentioning The Holocaust, Hitler, Nazis, Fascism etc. etc. It's just how it is. He can't be blamed.
Janek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Master Shake"][quote="Janek"]distasteful and impious. I once had the horror to meet an antisemitic Scottish teacher in Krakow. Is it you?[/quote] Being interested in the holocaust (or not) is a far cry from being antisemitic. How do make [i]that [/i]connection?[/quote]

He recommended the former Hitler military headquarter instead of "Holocaust Tourism". This joke is just distasteful and impious.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janek, you're confusing simple factual statements with statements of support and admiration of purpose.

The Wolf's Lair exists and is an alternative to Holocaust-related sites such as the camps, execution and mass-burial locations for tourist activity. It has nothing to do with supporting Hitler or being anti-Semitic anymore than going to Auschwitz means you hate Germany and love all things Jewish or going on a tour of Congress means you love Democracy and hate all totalitarian leaders.

It's common reference to phrase interest-specific tourist activities in the way he did. People do Eco-tourism, Medical Tourism, Religious Tours and Adventure Tour and there is no bias or ideological expression involved. It's just a grouping.

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing the Wolf('s) Lair due to it's historical and military significance. In Berlin I enjoyed looking at the site of the SS Headquarters but that doesn't mean I admired their ideology or methods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Janek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks, it's the same scot47 who wrote this:

"Lauenburg - Lebork in Polish - was a German town until it was ethnically cleansed in the postwar period. How do you feel about living in a place that was stolen from its inhabitants within living memory ?"

... as well as similar stuff.

Location: Ultima Thule - [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Thule_%28Swedish_band%29#Criticism[/url]

To me it seems quite obvious that you can tell from that what sort of a person he really is.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we are not allowed top talk about the recent history of Eastern Europe ? Prussia, Silesia and Pomerania did not have German populations ?

Ethnic cleansing is okay if the victims are Germans ?

As for Wolfs Lair and Auschwitz, people do go and visit these places as tourists. Why do you object to the term "Holocaust Tourism" ?
Janek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scot47"]So now we are not allowed top talk about the recent history of Eastern Europe ? Prussia, Silesia and Pomerania did not have German populations ?

Ethnic cleansing is okay if the victims are Germans ?[/quote]

You don't know anything about German history. Leave this topic to us Germans and our Polish friends.

Lauenburg was the location of the Nazi concentration camp Lauenburg, a subcamp of the Stutthof concentration camp.

Just listen to your favourite music and discuss Scottish nationalism.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really saying that only ethnic Germans can understand German History ?

Direct your wrath at these people and not at me.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/25/auschwitz-first-world-war-tourism-teaching

Or have a look at the 2000 Book "The Holocaust Industry" by Norm Finkelstein, and try to see the events of the last 100 years through a different prism.
Janek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scot47"]Direct your wrath at these people and not at me. Are you really saying that only ethnic Germans can understand German History ?[/quote]

I would say the follwing: A person who asks how someone feels about living and teaching in a place which was stolen from its inhabitants and refers to ethnic cleansing without referring to the crimes which had happened before, is just a fascistic revisionist.

And I prefer discussing German history with people who don't listen to Nazi music or ask revisionist questions.

Last edited by Janek on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving on, is there anything in Lebork worth a weekender trip for sight-seeing?

Any of the towns along the northern coast?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Łeba is definitely worth a visit. Sand dunes and a rocket base. Other than that, I can't think of much...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: