Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Truth about Taiwan...Please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torentosan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: The Truth about Taiwan...Please! Reply with quote

There are job ads all the time on this site for jobs paying 19/20 dollars US. An internet search will show you that the cost of living is low .
So, how can so many people on this site claim that Taiwan is dead as far as ESL jobs go? Some schools are promising at least 25 hours a week.
That would leave plenty left over to save.
So, why all the bad reports?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are job ads all the time on this site for jobs paying 19/20 dollars US.

There are several Taiwan jobs posted on this site every week, but you have to consider how many people will be applying for those few jobs. And many of those people are already in Taiwan.

Quote:
So, how can so many people on this site claim that Taiwan is dead as far as ESL jobs go? Some schools are promising at least 25 hours a week.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the number of full-time jobs has gone down considerably over the years while the number of English teachers in Taiwan has remained relatively steady. This has resulted in increased competition for the full-time jobs that remain, which has put new teachers at a disadvantage since there are usually many experienced teachers willing to take those positions.

The other side of this equation is that the percentage of part-time jobs has increased. The trouble with part-time jobs, apart from the inconvenience of having to work two jobs, is that most of these schools can't offer a visa. As a result, they will usually try to hire someone with an independent visa if they can. This is of no help to new teachers since they require visa sponsorship to work legally.

Quote:
So, why all the bad reports?

That pretty much sums it up. It's a tough market right now, and I don't see it improving anytime soon. If you do decide to come to Taiwan, I would suggest two things:

(1) Be flexible, about the job itself, but especially about the location. From what I've heard, Taoyuan and Hsinchu seem to have the most work right now.

(2) Have money. Getting a decent full-time job might take some time. Personally, I wouldn't go with less than $4000-$5000 in the bank.

Hope this helps.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Full-time teaching jobs are few and far between. Part-time jobs are plentiful, though few of those are willing to help you get a visa. I am semi-retired and have a marriage visa so I don't need to earn a lot but I was working three part-time gigs at my peak. They offered between 3-6 hours a week.

Since you're semi-retired, I can see how you wouldn't necessarily want, or need, a full-time job, but I'm curious about why you worked three part-time jobs. Wouldn't it have been easier to just work one full-time job? With local experience and a marriage visa, I'm sure you could find one. No?
ncaraway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Can't you work in public schools with a JFRV?
Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUBLIC Schools are a disorganized Nightmare for "foreign" English teachers.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PUBLIC Schools are a disorganized Nightmare for "foreign" English teachers.

I've heard mixed reviews. Disorganized in what way?
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ferfichkin,

I've been back in the US for a few years now... So I don't want to give you any outdated info.

If anyone agrees or disagrees with my comments, I'd love to hear what others have to say before I elaborate.

Best wishes,

Taylor
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A criminal background check is not needed to teach in Taiwan.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: no criminal check? Reply with quote

China is insisting I must go home?

Is taiwan doable on the ground running? Rolling Eyes
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: no criminal check? Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: is it doable on the ground running? Reply with quote

Alien1982 wrote:
Spelunker wrote:
Thailand seems scary and frightening to teach in....what about Taiwan? and is a criminal check needed!
What's wrong with Thailand?

Extremely low pay for most ($1000/monthly, sometimes even less, no benefits whatsoever) even those with degrees. Also teaching some of the absolutely most dismal students you will ever experience, except for a few other countries which are just as bad. The upside is your in the tropics. For many of the non-professional teachers or lager louts that is enough, for a lot some like me being in the tropics is not enough for that substandard level of pay.

Last edited by plumpy nut on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
doomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a 13yr teaching vet.

Nowadays, 25hrs at one place is only available at large chains like Hess, Kojen, etc. Even then, those 25hrs may be split between different branches, so you'll have to commute.

Large chains have higher annual turnover (more unpaid work, Sat work, less teaching freedom, etc), so jobs are usually available there.

Some schools also lie about 20-25hrs, because they know that's what most job seekers want.

Kindie work may offer block hours, but are technically illegal & you risk deportation. (Your ARC will list the kindie's cram "branch".)

Smaller chains may offer ARCs, but will usually have fewer hours.

It's extremely common for vets to work 2 part-time jobs. However, it's less extra unpaid work & less employer leverage.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is the demand for licensed teachers in the public schools in Taiwan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: