Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language/cultural assistant or get certification?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortilap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Language/cultural assistant or get certification? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see which of these options were best for living and working in Spain.

1. Being a language and cultural assistant in Spain.
I have a friend that does this and she gets paid 700 euros per month, 200 euros rent (they assign her housing), and she has no prior teaching experience or any certifications. I'm not as concerned about getting a certification if I did this because I won't really be teaching a class- it's more of just serving as an assistant.

2. Get an Oxford TEFL certification and try to find a job on my own. Not sure how easy or tough this would be to do, or if the wages would be better than above. If I do teach in a school though, I would want to have a certification because I want to feel confident in my teaching.

Right now I'm leaning more towards #1 because that seems to be the more secure option. Advice?

Thanks!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you wish to work legally, as a US citizen #1 will lead to permission to work legally in Spain. #2 will not.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford is substandard for the region anyway - it doesn't include the key supervised teaching with real students. And as Xie Lin points out, it won't allow a non-EU citizen to work legally in Spain, either.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which language assistant program gives 700 euros plus 200 for assigned housing? Haven't heard of that in Spain, but there are quite a few different programs, so enlighten me.

I've exclusively worked as a language assistant for a long time now both because I haven't got a European passport (though I have now got a Spanish work permit -- for all the huge difference Rolling Eyes it makes in terms of finding jobs) and because I prefer it to academy work in general. It covers all your morning and early afternoon hours and leaves you the evenings free for private classes. Honestly, it's very easy and a good way to get a taste of teaching with no prior experience.

My vote is for "working" as a language assistant.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Oxford is substandard for the region anyway - it doesn't include the key supervised teaching with real students. And as Xie Lin points out, it won't allow a non-EU citizen to work legally in Spain, either.

Oxford Seminars are indeed substandard, as Spiral says. However, if you are referring to Oxford TEFL in Barcelona, that's another matter. They run a Trinity certTESOL course (a CELTA equivalent.) I believe they and Oxford TEFL in Prague are branches of the same company.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - thanks for clarifying. The Oxford name is used by multiple course providers. The Oxford seminars course offered in the US is substandard.
mortilap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help everyone. I wasn't aware that they had multiple language/cultural assistant programs. The one I am referring to is through the Spanish Government. It can be found here:

https://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: