Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westgate interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIPTESOL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Westgate interview Reply with quote

I had an interview with Westgate this week, I don't think I did too badly considering it was 7am and my brain hadn't fully woken up. I did kick myself though about a grammar related question that I could have answered better. Anyway, later that day I received some visa related questions which I answered and returned. Then I received another email with a lesson plan task, I was told that the reason is so that I can be best matched with a university. I have over 10 years' experience and have the CELTA and Trinity Diploma so I'm wondering why they asked me to submit this additional task. I've come to the conclusion that:
a) they want further reassurance of my capabilities after a jittery interview
b) they are considering me for an accredited program and want to ensure I'm up to their standard

Has anyone else been asked to do this type of task after an interview? I'd also like to hear others' opinions about my situation as I'm not sure I want to proceed.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed for their online work, and it seemed to be hoop after endless hoop. I did the pre-task, the interview, a grading and feedback task, and then another grading task. There were also multiple phone calls, although only one was called an interview, they all pretty much felt like interviews. It just seemed to go on and on.

I got another job and gave up before I found out if I actually got a job with them. But they said they would hold my application open so I wouldn't have to redo everything if I reapplied, so I guess I was still in the running at that stage.

So, I think it's just the way they do stuff, I wouldn't read too much into it.
elwood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Westgate interview Reply with quote

I noticed this thread is a few years old (from 2013). But, I recently interviewed with Westgate. Just wanted to share some specifics of the interview, if anyone is interested:

*Interview was about 60 minutes via Skype. But for most of the interview we only used the audio feature of Skype, not video.

*A large portion of interview (30 minutes) was simply going over my resume/cv. The recruiter just wanted more details about my education and experience.

*There were some grammar related questions. For example, the interviewer would say an incorrect sentence, then ask me what the error was, and for me to explain why it's wrong.

*The interviewer also asked how I would define specific words. For example: Dedicated. I simply gave examples of sentences using the word dedicated as well as some synonyms.

*Other questions during the interview:
What words would your former students use to describe you?
Why do you want to work for Westgate?

Hope this helps, elwood
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all this really just for a three-month contract?
Hauraunah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit too "difficult" for Westgate.

The pre-interview hoops they wanted me to jump through proved to be too much. When it came to the application process and giving them ALL the paperwork they desired, I did that.

I used a professional photo of myself that EVERY other interviewer in Japan HAPPILY accepted... They wanted me to use a different one.

Despite the 2 years of experience I have in Japan, they wanted me to provide them with official transcripts. OFFICIAL transcripts. I took a screen shot of my transcripts and submitted that.

The wanted a copy of my passport and visa. I sent them images accepted by EVERY OTHER interviewer. They wanted me to take the pictures again as they were glossy. Yes, sweetie. Lamination will do that to a document.

The contacted my current employer for a reference even though they gave me to opportunity to specify if they could do thus and if so, when. So that was really fun when my employer contacted me.

Considering I'd heard enough about Westgate to know they weren't worth me jumping through those sort of hoops, I basically told the woman complaining about my application to delete it. Considering what they charge for rent, the length of their contracts, and the word of mouth about their jobs, I'm much better off having not applied. I told her that you ask for official transcripts from someone whose at least been to college in the past one or two years, not someone whose developed 5 years of post-grad working experience, all of which are relevant to the position. I told her that if employers from companies with better reputations, pay, and standing could accept my photo then she should have no problem with it either.

Basically I sent a very "Japanese" (passive-aggressive) letter kindly asking her to delete my application and explaining why.

She quickly back-tracked and said that I didn't have to do that, she'd accept my materials as is. But at that point I was no longer interested. I didn't say this , though. After about a month or two my entire account had been deleted.

Laughing Rolling Eyes
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well other places demand official transcrips, but for university teaching.
But not all do.
Unofficial ones are just not in a sealed envelope with the raised seal.

Other things suck about Westgate.
You could have a commute of up to 90 minutes.
You have to wear a suit.
The housing, for some people. For others, you have to share the place with one or two other people.
But it goes on your resume so it is something.
Lots of paperwork. They expect a lot for not much pay.
Experience teaching TOEIC or prior university experience in Japan they like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: