Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup
Argentina
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brazil
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Germany
37%
 37%  [ 12 ]
Italy
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
the Netherlands
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spain
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
other
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 32

johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Brazil got through, but at a big cost. Without Neymar, will they be able to defeat Germany?

As for the others:

"ARGENTINA vs. BELGIUM

Lionel Messi has faced Thibaut Courtois plenty of times in club competitions, and the Belgium goalkeeper has a habit of getting the better of the four-time player of the year.

In fact, Courtois has kept Messi scoreless the last seven times his Atletico Madrid faced Barcelona. If he can do it again, Belgium will have every chance of reaching the semifinals for the first time since 1986 — when it was eliminated by Argentina.

Messi has scored four of Argentina's seven goals in the tournament so far and set up two of the others — including Angel Di Maria's extra-time winner against Switzerland in the second round.

Belgium is hoping a collective effort will be able to outshine one outstanding individual.

"I don't want to depend on a single player, I want to depend on many," Belgium coach Marc Wilmots said. "That is one of our strengths."

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella also insists there are more players who can make the difference for his team, even though striker Gonzalo Higuain is scoreless in Brazil and Sergio Aguero is injured.

"Obviously he (Messi) is the best player in the world but there is teamwork," Sabella said. "It's a team that supports Messi, makes him stronger, makes him feel well. And, therefore, Messi performs as he's doing."

And while Argentina vs. Belgium is about much more than Messi vs. Courtois, the winner of that matchup will go a long way toward deciding which team reaches the last four.

Venue: Brasilia. Kickoff 1 p.m. local time (noon in New York, 5 p.m. London, 1 a.m. Tokyo)

___

NETHERLANDS vs. COSTA RICA

Few outsiders give Costa Rica much of a chance of knocking off the free-scoring Netherlands and extending its best-ever run at a World Cup. Then again, few people gave it much of a chance of getting out of the group stage, much less into the quarterfinals.

Costa Rica has been the little team that could at this World Cup, beating Uruguay and Italy to advance from a tough Group D and then ousting Greece in a penalty shootout.

Can it pull off yet another upset win?

"We want to keep writing history," Costa Rica midfielder Johnny Acosta said. "In 90 or 120 minutes, we will see which is the better team."

Most would say that's the Netherlands, which reached the final in 2010 and stunned defending champion Spain with a 5-1 win in their opening match in Brazil. While the Dutch haven't been quite as rampant since then, they've racked up a tournament-leading 12 goals so far despite often playing in a formation with five defenders.

Costa Rica, though, has only allowed two goals en route to its first quarterfinal appearance, despite facing three former world champions in the group stage.

"We should not underestimate Costa Rica at all. I think it's going to be a very tough match," injured midfielder Nigel de Jong said. "Costa Rica got here with a lot of passion and belief and, of course, they're playing without pressure, so we should not take them lightly."

Venue: Salvador. Kickoff 5 p.m. local time (4 p.m. in New York, 9 p.m. London, 5 a.m. Tokyo)"

I suppose the smart money is on the Netherlands and Argentina. But wouldn't it be nice if Costa Rica, which didn't ever make it on the poll above, took it all? Very Happy

Regards,
John

P.S. 90 minutes into the match and it's Costa Rica: 0, Netherlands: 0

P.P.S. Aaarrggh - so close: Netherlands (0) 4 - Costa Rica: (0) 3
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
P.S. 90 minutes into the match and it's Costa Rica: 0, Netherlands: 0

P.P.S. Aaarrggh - so close: Netherlands (0) 4 - Costa Rica: (0) 3

THAT was quite the match. Wow!

It looks like it's the usual suspects in the semifinals: Brazil vs. Germany and Argentina vs. the Netherlands. I like this. These semifinal matches could be as good as (or better than!) the final match.

Will it be an all-Europe or all-South America affair in the final or will it be a "best of" versus each other?

I really don't want to see a Brazil vs. Argentina final, but it could definitely end up that way. I am biased toward European soccer/football and would love to see Germany in the final.

July 8th and July 9th! 5pm local time! Those will be some excellent matches as were ALL of the round of 16 and quarterfinal matches.

FIFA World Cup 2014--you have been excellent!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. Poor Brazil!!!

I was rather hoping they'd pull out a big win, given how much the Brazilian people have sacrificed for these games. But wow.

fat_chris is at least having some joy:-)

And, frankly, I'm usually a Germany fan. Just feel bad that the whole country of Brazil had so much riding on this long-term, beyond the actual games themselves.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - indeed: Germany 7, Brazil 1

Regards,
John
JoeKing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Oh, wow. Poor Brazil!!!

And, frankly, I'm usually a Germany fan. Just feel bad that the whole country of Brazil had so much riding on this long-term, beyond the actual games themselves.
Yeah, I was not really pulling for Brazil until they lost two key players, then only because I usually pull for the underdog if I don't have a dog in the match. But that score has got to be unprecedented for a semifinal match.

Anyway, I guess now I am pulling for Argentina as it's the only chance to keep it in the Americas!! Cool

Last edited by JoeKing on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeKing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/08/sport/football/world-cup-brazil-germany-football/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Beaten, battered and bloodied and this a nation which had not lost a competitive home game since 1975, Brazil conceded five times in 18 minutes during the first half as Germany ran riot.

As Brazilian fans began to leave Estádio Mineirão in Belo Horizonte, Schurrle netted a spectacular seventh to inflict the nation's heaviest ever defeat.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brasilpost.com.br/2014/07/08/bandeira-vila-madalena_n_5568515.html?utm_hp_ref=brazil

indignant supporters burn flag of Brazil in Vila Madalena

(in portuguese)
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I'm glad Brazil lost. Yeah, it's a big disappointment for their fans, but they should have gone out against Colombia. The ref was terrible and Brazil were dirty.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That there Brazil match...it's not Portuguese but...

¡Ay, caramba!

Exclamation

So...Germany vs. whom? I guess we'll find out soon. The Netherlands vs. Argentina could be a doozy.

scot47, indeed, I am happy.

Looks like I can continue to chirp the tune with which I started this whole thread: I still say Germany breaks the "curse" of European sides not winning in Latin America and they hoist their first Cup trophy in 24 years on July 13th.

Well...it seems that Deutschland gets their Cup every 20 years or so: 1954, 1974, 1990...2014?

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with Brazil?

Wednesday will be great day for Brazilian psychologists and cardiologist! Confused

Let's see today what will happen with Argentina vs Netherlands?

Will history of yesterday repeats itself today?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The not-so-beautiful game:

"But it is understood that by the time the latest information filtered up to FIFA’s security hierarchy in Brazil, the two referees in question had already officiated matches.

The suspicions surrounding the officials are linked to historic games involving the ‘double whammy’ identifiers of unusual in-game incidents matched with highly unusual betting.

FIFA responded to Mail on Sunday questions about the allegedly corrupt officials by saying: ‘It is important to note that we have no indications that the integrity of the FIFA World Cup has been compromised.’

There was no denial the information had been received or that it was considered serious.

‘Generally speaking, we are not in a position to comment or provide information on any match-manipulation investigations that are ongoing so as not to compromise investigations, nor do we provide any comments as to whether or not any investigations are underway,’ said a spokesman."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2682117/Two-referees-World-Cup-suspected-match-fixing-FIFA-past-allegations-tournament-started.html

Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra time again - Anyone want to bet against Germany in the finals?
Very Happy

Regards,
John
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentina.
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It seems football is like politics and vice versa! Laughing
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushkilla wrote:
Argentina.

Germany.

So...we got our final.

But indeed, will 2014 be like 1986 or 1990?

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: