Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Australia International School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlammaBama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Vietnam Australia International School Reply with quote

Anyone have info on VAS in HCMC as far as working environment, management, students, etc? Most info on the net reads like a brochure. Many thanks!
VietCanada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an after school language center called VAS in Vietnam. VAIS may be OK to work for. I didn't appreciate their hiring process but your experience may vary. They called me in for a couple interviews, I observed a lesson by another foreign instructor before doing my own demo.

There was no AT for my demo, she was sick that day. At no point was I told the rate of pay or shown a contract or even in any way shape or form given any literal clue about their expectations of me, my duties or their pay and benefits. If anything the interviewer tried to impress/intimidate me with his qualifications.

The place struck as a pseudo school that pays a pedestrian hourly rate while expecting all the duties of a fully qualified (B.Ed.) teacher. I make the same money walking into a class with no book and asking the Vietnamese teacher what they want me to do today.

In short they seemed to expect a lot of me but weren't in any way prepared to pay the appropriate rate for that.

I expect it's a typical pseudo school with somebody whose been around for a couple years making a decent hourly rate and everybody else carrying the load for peanuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: