Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to Purchase 'Other' Products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Country for Purchasing 'Other' Products
Bahrain
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Egypt
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jordan
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Kuwait
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lebanon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oman
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Qatar
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UAE
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Yemen
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Other (I'll post details below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Where to Purchase 'Other' Products Reply with quote

First off; I'm not asking about where to buy anything that is intended for use as being harmful to my or anyone else's health. Leave that for the dark web or whatever. No, I'm considering weekends and short breaks away, and am interested in the local laws in countries in and immediately around this area.

In my travels I've noticed the laws in regards to medicines vary greatly; in some countries in Europe, South America and SE Asia you're able to buy - if that is your want - all sorts of brews and potions that are deemed unsuitable elsewhere.

Also these laws are subject to change, so any recent revisions would be helpful too. Commodities considered include a good scotch, some decent cold/flu medicine, a date with an attractive lady, sleeping tablets that were made in a lab and not a greenhouse, and anything else which comes to mind. Of course the above should be enjoyed/utilized on separate occasions!

I would (and I'm sure there are others who would) prefer some meat on the bone (ooh, bacon as well) but I've added a poll if you'd prefer to keep your anonymity.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks ago, the pop-shop in the desert town where I live was proudly displaying its newly arrived stock of Beaujolais Nouveau.

I think that says something about the availability of booze in the UAE.
mikkenzi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago a guy was found half-dead on a street in Fahaheel... drunk with home-made potato alcohol... that should give you an idea about Kuwaiti brew and its health "benefits" Smile
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's still relevant but a few years ago I had bacon bits on a burger in Bahrain - I don't know if they were legit or not, being so hungover.

I know Bahrain was/is a den of iniquity although I never went into a chemist there for anti-anxiety/sleeping/anti-depression meds.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman is awash with booze, plenty of bars where locals and ex-pats alike drink. You need a personal licence to use the booze stores if you want stuff for home but that's easy to get if you have a job. There are also pork shops and pork sections in the big Al Fair supermarkets. Books are not so easy to find but I noticed the small W H Smiths was selling Rushdie's Midnight's Children recently!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have always been bookstores in Muscat... it was just that the books were waaaaaay too expensive for my budget. I actually read Midnight's Children there in the late 80's, so it was there then. But I wouldn't expect to find Satanic Verses. Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: