Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

immig raid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adela

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: immig raid Reply with quote

Yesterday my school was raided by immigration in Oaxaca. The school told us they were taking care of work visa paperwork for us and now some of us are "invited" to meet with immigration today because we don't have proper permits. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what is the fine like and what was your experience?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...I hope it works out ok for you.

This is the other shoe dropping on the immigration reform put through last year. I've been hearing of school and even home visits by immigration staff in DF whereas that had almost been unheard of here over the last decade in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: immig raid Reply with quote

Adela wrote:
Yesterday my school was raided by immigration in Oaxaca. The school told us they were taking care of work visa paperwork for us and now some of us are "invited" to meet with immigration today because we don't have proper permits. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what is the fine like and what was your experience?

I happened to meet with our immigration lawyer yesterday and mentioned this story to him. He was rather surprised to hear it...would you definitely call it a 'raid' or was it perhaps part of a review process?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Adela

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: immig raid Reply with quote

... there was a van from INM staked out around the corner from the school awaiting instructions! Review? Raid? Men in immigration shirts at the ready.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adela, how did your "meeting" with INM go?
Adela

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immig could have issued an exit visa (must leave country within 10 days) and a fine, but didn't do either, allowing me to stay until my tourist visa expires and my school is taking care of the application for a work visa, or so they say. I haven't been told what will happen about leaving the country as part of that process.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adela wrote:
immig could have issued an exit visa (must leave country within 10 days) and a fine, but didn't do either, allowing me to stay until my tourist visa expires and my school is taking care of the application for a work visa, or so they say. I haven't been told what will happen about leaving the country as part of that process.

That's good news, considering everything, but shame on your school for putting you (and the other teachers) into such an embarrassing situation. Let us know what happens next.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adela wrote:

Hmm...so, not a raid? Someone intervened, or someone wanted to put on a show.

Quote:
...shame on your school for putting you (and the other teachers) into such an embarrassing situation.

I wouldn't assign blame or shame there just yet...

Is your current visa for the 180 day tourist stay or the 30 day canje?
booksandbeyond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...so, not a raid? Someone intervened, or someone wanted to put on a show.

I wouldn't assign blame or shame there just yet...

Hey there,

It's so refreshing to read your well-balanced, rational, and unbiased posts.
I have enjoyed your posts.
Cheers Smile

Adela, can you update us with some facts?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adela wrote:

Any more updates?

Gracias Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: