Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundation year to be or not to be.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Foundation year to be or not to be Reply with quote

To add another insight into Muscat Gary's post, I know my students in Foundations had told me their high school English exam consisted of COPYING a paragraph written on the board, and the teacher would walk around correcting the girls' exam papers! Case in point: There was one young lady who was miserably failing the Foundations level 1 courses. She could not decode the simplest words. It was obvious she had an LD. She would become upset with her assessment results, exclaiming that she had earned 90%+ in all of her high school English classes. As we also know, the college curriculum is too rigorous for the low competency of the students so they are set up failure from the start which is frustrating for all concerned. As teachers, we want them to be successful but it's hit or miss in most cases. In addition, the college has adopted a business model and the funding formula takes precedence. As such, we witnessed a wave of former students who were dismissed for various reasons (chronic absence, failing marks as repeaters) invited back to meet the funding quota the next semester. And so it goes......
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bums on seats" has always been the model.
Chuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the future of the Foundation Program discussed at the meeting on Sunday night? If so, what does the future hold in store for English teachers?
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting is on this coming Sunday night.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Which is exactly what we have been saying since the mid-80s.

It certainly does seem like 30 years, but is that the 'royal' we?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royalty seems to be your hang-up, not mine.

It is from "we" TEFLers of whom both you and I are one of many...

VS
Chuma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutrino Girl wrote:
The meeting is on this coming Sunday night.

Updates, please.

Shocked
MsRT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please!

Am keen to know......
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told that:

- The foundation program is safe for now, but may be downsized in the future assuming that more students will meet the IELTS requirements before entering the university;

- UAEU, ZU and HCT are planning on coming to an agreed salary and benefits scale (which many are assuming will mean an imminent pay cut);

- All coordinators will be teaching in addition to their normal duties (half of a normal teaching schedule);

- The foundations courses should be 'de-centralized,' allowing for every instructor to assess their own classes;

- The academic calendar for UAEU, ZU and HCT may change this coming academic year. There is a meeting next week to decide on one of four options, the likeliest being an early August start with a finish in May (don't buy your tickets for the summer just yet!).
Chuma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the info!

Smile
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about cutting the foundation program because at the 'front lines' where I am at, 6th and 7th grade; the majority of the classes aren't prepared even for Secondary let alone University.

If you give a sample Cambridge exam, the results are unbelievable and the English skills are negligible. "Local" students are at the lowest ability, while those who have had 'Western' exposure of some sorts have better skills.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdobbs... are you in Abu Dhabi or one of the other Emirates? I'm wondering if the new system in Abu Dhabi is raising the skills of the locals in the public schools.

VS
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdobbs98 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about cutting the foundation program because at the 'front lines' where I am at, 6th and 7th grade; the majority of the classes aren't prepared even for Secondary let alone University.

If you give a sample Cambridge exam, the results are unbelievable and the English skills are negligible. "Local" students are at the lowest ability, while those who have had 'Western' exposure of some sorts have better skills.

Sometimes they make 'flash' decisions here without thinking through the consequences, but in all honesty we know that the foundation programme won't close down anytime in the foreseeable future precisely because of what you've said. These lack of skills ensure job security for many years to come.

I think that what teachers are more worried about at this point is a potential pay cut. The Provost hinted at it in a roundabout sort of way.
123Loto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
rdobbs... are you in Abu Dhabi or one of the other Emirates? I'm wondering if the new system in Abu Dhabi is raising the skills of the locals in the public schools.

VS

Hi VS, I'm teaching in a private school in Al Ain. From what I can see and talking to various teachers (we all gossip like maniacs of course!!!) there is a wide variation of quality students within each school and an even wider variation of quality between different schools.

So in my opinion (everyone's got one right?), although the ADEC changes are happening - and they are the right steps to take - the progress will be patchy, and not apparent for another 5-10 years as the students who are currently in grades 1 - 6 will begin to graduate.

I'm paying careful attention to the foundation style programs because I hope to be moving into the tertiary sector soon.
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

123Loto wrote:

I'm paying careful attention to the foundation style programs because I hope to be moving into the tertiary sector soon.

I will post new developments on here as they arise. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: