Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working and living part time in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanjizai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: working and living part time in Thailand Reply with quote

I was wondering if it was possible to work 15-20 hours a week to cover living costs and save money for a fight.
I have been working in Japan for quite a long time and would like to have some down time but not burn through my savings.

I dont mind be in a rural area as long as it is safe. I dont need much, just fresh food, fresh air, and good speed internet.

Thanks
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Yes it's possible to do this if you teach in the rural areas outside of Bangkok... and make ends meet...especially in Isaan. If you decide to teach in Bangkok you can teach full time at a government school but be expected to teach 20 or 25 hours a week. Teaching part time hours in Bangkok forget it as you will probably burn through your savings fast! Good luck!
kanjizai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bangkok that expensive?
The rural area that you mention, does it provide for modern living? Things like internet speed, access to health care and modern convinces?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Yes Bangkok is getting more expensive by the day...if you teach in the rural areas of Isaan or upcountry should be no problem saving money. Modern conveniences exist..such as Internet, western restaurants, cafes etc..but remember to lower your expectations as you would most likely have to live like a Thai in the countrysidei. Good luck!
kanjizai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esl Educator, when you say "live like a Thai", what do you mean? I imagine there are various standards of living, which are you referring to?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I was referring to the lifestyle in Isaan...when I said "Living like a Thai" on EFL wages. This is due to the fact that wages are not as high upcountry as in Bangkok. Good luck!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: re: thks for input Reply with quote

From reading these boards, it seems thailand is a scary and expensive place to teach....I don't fancy the countryside because of creepy crawlies and snakes.

Unless I can get any real positive feedback on bkk, I am thinking it is no longer a good idea:( nothing personal mind...
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of obstacles. For instance, I get the impression that the average life expectancy of a first time job in Thailand is anywhere from two weeks to a couple of months. You won't get paid while you're looking for another job. There won't be any floods to shut down schools this year, but there might be other problems especially between the government and the politically self serving protesters they're dealing with. If there is no school you won't get paid. Other things can happen you could get ripped off big time, in some cases even if you're not dishonest and trying to be careful.

On average a person should be able to make $4000 US in savings a year if you're fairly frugal. But it's risky to come without some kind of savings already in hand. A public school job in South Korea would be much safer and you would make a lot more money.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: south korea Reply with quote

South Korea is not an option for me, too xenophobic, and I need to get the criminal clearance from my country. Everyone seems to say thailand is expensive, you need savings and work is not stable, it seems too risky now, but thanks again.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

When I first came to Thailand some 25 years ago things were much more different in the EFL teaching area. There were quite a lot of lucrative English teaching jobs availabe...mostly with company staff. These were the boom years here in Thailand when I used to earn very good money and savings were excellent. Today things are far from different...cost of living expenses and food has increased a lot....and salaries have mostly remained stagnant. Teaching English is still a nice experience here...but do not come here thinking about saving money as an EFL teacher. There is still a huge demand for EFL teachers though so you should have no problem finding work. Good luck!
lonestar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the OP, I'm interested in teaching in rural locations in Thailand. Someone mentioned Isaan in this thread, but how can one find a teaching job in those rural areas? I don't see them advertised here on Dave's or elsewhere. Can someone with experience in finding work in rural Thailand offer any practical advice, web sites, names of schools, reputable recruiters, etc.? Thanks.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Check out MOD EDIT for jobs in Isaan and rural Thailand. Most of these jobs are government school jobs paying around Baht 30,000/monthly including a few benefits. The benefits of teaching English in these upcountry areas is you will learn to speak Thai fast...and learn a lot about Thai culture and food..that is because there are few westerners around unlike in Bangkok. Good luck!
lonestar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, will check it out. Does anyone else have any other tips?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rural Thailand.......Oh well, to each his own, I guess. I do know one city I would avoid outright, Lopburi and the probably it's surroundings.

Anybody young and wanting to work in Thailand might examine what the Thai Baht has been doing lately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: