Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Work on the ground in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princepointe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Finding Work on the ground in Thailand Reply with quote

First time on the board and let me start by thanking those of you posting information. Has been invaluable. I'm from the U.S. looking to teach English short term in Thailand. Pay doesn't really matter much. Just looking for the experience. I have a degree in Occupational Education and Instructor of Technology and Military Science degree. I have three years of adult teaching experience with over 5000 hours in class.

Do I have to use a recruiter to find work? I've posted through a few recruiters and several have messaged me back saying they have a spot for me but want a "placement package" be to bought. Feels like a dead end with recruiters unless I pay them. Can I find work on the ground there as I'll be in country this December. Thanks again for any help.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iHi there,

Just come to Thailand you don't need to use a recruiter just arrive here, hit the ground and start looking and you'll recieve many offers. December is slow and is a holiday month here but there is still plenty of work to be found. Just remember money shouldn't be your prime motivation for cioming here as pay is minimal for EFL teachers in the LOS. Good luck!
Smile
princepointe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. Exactly where do I look once I'm on the ground? Should I just go to the schools with my CV? What does LOS stand for? Low Season? Thank you.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princepointe wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. Exactly where do I look once I'm on the ground? Should I just go to the schools with my CV? What does LOS stand for? Low Season? Thank you.

Land of Smiles.

Ajarn.com, or use the internet to search for language institutes in your preferred area.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Once you arrive in Thailand just go door knocking to all EFL language schools and business/corporate English schools...there are literally hundreds of them located on Sukhumvit and Silom Roads. Ajarn.com is always adverising but competition for jobs is fierce.. Another option is to advertise your availability in the Bangkok Post and The Nation newspapers. Remember to include a brief description of yourself and your salary requirements. Good luck to you in the LOS!
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never pay a recruiter to get a job. There are some good placement companies around that treat teachers fair and are fairly efficient with the paperwork side of things.

Hitting the streets is fine for some, but trust me trekking around Bangkok in formal clothes in 35-40 heat while handing out resumes aint fun. Plus the jobs you are most likely to get this way are bottom of the barrel.

Just do some internet searching for a couple good sites specific to Thailand. try searching the Thai word for professor/teacher and you will find many job ads on a particular site.

Unless you are a certified teacher and/or have some contacts, you are unlikely to start off in Thailand with any kind of decent job regardless of past experience. Put your time in and make some contacts in order to get the better jobs. being young and good looking is also very important here in the ESL world.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a few job offers in BKK...
sam862010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an easier ride.. get out of Bangkok.

find a nice province somewhere.
You will be treated like a celebrity and the work will be so easy.

It's always funny to me when I come into bkk for a weekend when I see all the burned out efl teachers looking so miserable on the skytrain.

I love bkk but its so much better when I can visit and go home again.

Plus you will save a lot more money Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Saving money upcountry is possible on government school wages...but one would find this extremely difficult in Bangkok. It is important to understand this when considering work in the LOS. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: